Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  

What would an E-rated Psychonauts be like?

Wow, what an awful - and old - thread.

I've never considered Psychonauts a children's game, its humour is too subtle, themes are too dark, and gameplay too frustrating.

When you have subtitles on this what you see Raz say (and mouth):

"That's it? Ka'kaw? That's s-"

I think in all likelihood Raz was going to say 'silly' or 'stupid', both words he uses a lot. After all if you listen to the line it's the alveolar fricative, not postalveolar.

Why am I even posting this

Whoa... necroposting much.

Psychonauts may come packaged in bright colors and lighthearted jokes, but to quote AdamM it's definitely not a childrens' game. Double fine did a splendid job reading up before making this game - behind the fluff is some much more subtle, darker stuff that most of the younger kids (and probably a few of the older ones too...) won't, or shouldn't, get and I'm not just talking about the Meat Circus here. Mental illness isn't restricted to teens and adults, sadly. If you're a twelve-year-old with a paranoid parent, I can almost guarantee you that you will find a lot of unpleasant truth in the Milkman Conspiracy. This game is rated 12+ because everything in it is true.

What swearing? What makes those last two actionable for censorship?

There's quite a bit of swearing in the game. By kids, no less. Also, the implying of sex and voyeurism

The last two are kind of a stretch, true, but censorship is crazy that way. Being called a prude is better than a lawsuit for a "mislabeled" game by some crazy, overprotective parent

The extent of the swearing is "hell" and "ass", which both still count as PG. I'm sure the game rating system works hella different, but I still don't see it as something to give a T rating to.

Wow, what an awful - and old - thread.

I've never considered Psychonauts a children's game, its humour is too subtle, themes are too dark, and gameplay too frustrating.

Why am I even posting this

*opens thread and reads this comment*

*notices thread starter*

HEY FUCK YOU GUY. DOES THE 'M' STAND FOR MEGACONDESCENDINGASSHOLESTUPIDJERKMEANIEFACE? BECAUSE IT SHOULD

Don't forget Rocko's Modern Life. Now that I'm older it doesn't seem anything like a kid's show, but thinking back to when I was a kid, it was pretty innocent and funny. It's really the dialog that makes most people go "Woah, this is supposed to be for kids?"

Pretty sure most kids skim over things like that, so it works

I recently watched it it was good :lol: inthe very first episode the carnie slug was reading Slugplay

The extent of the swearing is "hell" and "ass"

Oh, America.

i am going to find you

i am going to gut you

and I AM GOING TO MOUNT YOUR TEA-SIPPIN' LITTLE MUG ON MY WALL IN MY RANCH IN TEXAS *breath* IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Hey hot, why do you hate this guy so much?

because he wants me to think that he's smarter than me

Then don't think that. Its a win-win.

Who cares about page 3, this is page 4!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, two other things that probably warrant the T rating for Psychonauts: Coach Oleander implying that a 10-yr-old hulking godless child-beast might be involved with drugs and/or hookers in Lungfishopolis

I can see how the ESRB might not be very comfortable with that

Ok, I just want to reiterate that I knew while making this thread that Psychonauts has a lot of things that probably wouldn't fly with the ESRB, and that I know why it's rated Teen. I also want to say that I really like the game the way it is, and I wouldn't think to change it. Here is a blurb from a Psychonauts promotional thingy I saved:

“It looks too ‘kiddy’ for me,” you bellyache.

Response: I ask you, what ‘kiddy’ game includes turtle torture, suicidal campers, a peeping tom, multiple brain thefts, child assassins, a two-headed knife wielding giant and evil bunnies spit out of meat grinders?? This game is not, I repeat, NOT, rated E for Everyone! Think of the T rating as “Try it.”

I think this thread was more of a 'What if?' for me. How much would have to be compromised to get that E? Would it still maintain its charm? Would it have sold better? That sort of thing

On the topic of PG,

E = G

E10+ = PG

T = Between PG and PG13

M = between PG13 and R

Case in point: nudity in 'R' movies compared to 'M' games, swearing in 'E's, etc.

Sign in to follow this