Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tastycrisp

Manny Calavera's Pub Odyssey

Hey all!

I've lurked around these parts for quite sometime but have never really had much to say...until now! Every year for the last several years myself and some friends have organised pubcrawls back at our hometown of Dunstable in ye olde England. Over the years more and more people have started to get involved, the fancy dress has gotten crazier and the last few years we have managed to raise a nice chunk of money for charity. Where am I going with all this you wonder? Well let me continue...

This year we decided to go with the theme of videogames and a pubcrawl name of boozeUP. We always get far too carried away so we even made a mini-game and instruction manuals which served as a guide to the pubs, rules and bonus drinking games(!) but what I thought might interest you guys here more is the fact that I decided to attend said pub crawl dressed as none other than that charming boney figure, Manny Calavera, after seeing some excellent outfits created by talented people online!

So I set about making my outfit. I managed to pick up a 2nd hand white tuxedo, I booted up my old Grim Fandango CD and had a good ole play and then realised that Manny's head would be a lot trickier than I first realised. To cut a long story short (so I can get to some lovely pictures) I essentially had to create the head in 3D, unfold/unwrap the model so that I could re-create the texture from referance images before finally printing it all out on A4 to test that it would fold together then printing lots of sheets of A4 which spread across two sheets of A1 mounting card before cutting, stenciling etc. and finally putting it all together with a whole bunch of double sided tape and the wonderous invention that is duck tape. I also did my best to recreate the travel brochures....

Anyway...without further rambling I will attempt to post some pictures up on here...

4832289098_2c28d2a914_b.jpg

4832289084_f2d3b9e7d8_b.jpg

4831651815_c10fda1313_b.jpg

4831651817_4043177b43_b.jpg

4832289166_e2698e6018_b.jpg

4832289176_623396fdbb_b.jpg

Right! Here's some costume shots and other photo fun!

4832321770_c54aaefc69_b.jpg

I forgot I hadn't finished the 2nd glove when I did my test run...

4832321782_2888c1e22d_b.jpg

Manny and the Duke

4832333002_23c99c0a1f_b.jpg

Getting in on a little bartending action...and Turbo Pimms!

4832333026_da24239108_b.jpg

Halfway into the pub crawl

There's also a bunch of other WIP photos and pics of video game chaarcters wearing Manny's head over at the Flickr set if anyone's interested :)

omg if I were of legal drinking age and good at costume designing, I would totally join one of those pubcrawls while dressed up. If I could I would be a Warfather because Warfathers going out drinking would be the best thing ever.

man, that's such an excellent costume, though! Extra points for all the effort in recreating it in 3D! I must ask, though, how could you see through the mask? it doesn't look like there's any sort of eyeholes in it or anything. The only hole I see is the small one in the mouth, but I doubt you can see out of it.

I must ask, though, how could you see through the mask? it doesn't look like there's any sort of eyeholes in it or anything. The only hole I see is the small one in the mouth, but I doubt you can see out of it.

Cheers! There were tiny holes perfectly spaced for my eyes...although this did mean I could only see directly ahead...which made travelling from pub to pub rather interesting! There was of course a hole for a straw too :D if I was to do it again though I'd probably use some kind of mesh for the eyes but I was worried it would spoil the look of the whoel thing.

I must ask, though, how could you see through the mask? it doesn't look like there's any sort of eyeholes in it or anything. The only hole I see is the small one in the mouth, but I doubt you can see out of it.

Cheers! There were tiny holes perfectly spaced for my eyes...although this did mean I could only see directly ahead...which made travelling from pub to pub rather interesting! There was of course a hole for a straw too :D if I was to do it again though I'd probably use some kind of mesh for the eyes but I was worried it would spoil the look of the whoel thing.

How did you make the DOD things?

How did you make the DOD things?

It took a bit of work. I managed to grab a couple of reasonably good screengrabs from the games first cutscene and cropped and straightened each image. I then tried to grab the back of the brochure from another screentshot but that was almost impossible to get right so I just went with as best as I could (whilt not spending forever on it as the likelyhood was that no one would ever see the back!)

Here's all three together. As with all the other images they are scaled down so as not to kill the forum

4832289074_8b77da4ffb_b.jpg

This is really quite marvelous. I've seen your cosplay posted on a lot of places. You're a semi-celebrity in these parts. Meaning you won't get paid for it.

Thanks everyone. I'm glad you like! It was a lot of fun once made but I won't deny that the last few days of building and sorting stuff out I was really starting to regret not making something a little easier!?! Well...I say easier...it was my own fault for trying to make the head as precise as possible :)

I have this daydream of making a perfect Big Daddy costume, like movie prop perfect, including flat bass speakers mounted in the boots with sensors so that each footfall booms out from the floor as if the suit weighs a ton, and speakers for the Big Daddy groan, all powered by unmanageable batteries in the back pack. And, of course, the bright sickly yellow light beaming from the helmet ports, that turns red when the Big Daddy is angered. It would probably need a car battery for a full day's use. Yes, this is what I think of in my spare time, of which apparently I have too much.

I have this daydream of making a perfect Big Daddy costume, like movie prop perfect, including flat bass speakers mounted in the boots with sensors so that each footfall booms out from the floor as if the suit weighs a ton, and speakers for the Big Daddy groan, all powered by unmanageable batteries in the back pack. And, of course, the bright sickly yellow light beaming from the helmet ports, that turns red when the Big Daddy is angered. It would probably need a car battery for a full day's use. Yes, this is what I think of in my spare time, of which apparently I have too much.

It's a great idea and it's great to have daydreams like that. I especially like the idea of the flat bass speakers! I had a similar thought about pumping out the Grim Fandango soundtrack from my outfit but quickly decided it was a ridiculous idea especially as I was going to be in pubs with music for the majority of the day.

That guy is a tetris piece.

A FUCKING TETRIS PIECE.

It may be silly but at least its more convincing then both the pac man ghost and sonic costume in that picture.

A FUCKING TETRIS PIECE.

It may be silly but at least its more convincing then both the pac man ghost and sonic costume in that picture.

To be honest it was just a bit of fun, only a handful of us are really gamers and most people just dress up as it's a long running tradition of the pub crawl (getting on 6 years of fancy dress charity pub crawl fun!)

The Tertris block was genius though but the way in which some of the other costumes were made might not have looked the best but were AWESOME for pure ingenuity and use of household items :)

P.S. I was also incredibly impressed by one of the lasses who turned up as a charatcer from Jet Set Radio. Another of my favourite games. Brilliant.

Can you actually see out of that thing?

As long as I looked straight ahead I was fine :D my eyes where EXACTLY the right place for the pinholes. Alas it did become steadily more difficult to navigate in as the drink flowed and my balance faltered!?

A FUCKING TETRIS PIECE.

To be honest it was just a bit of fun, only a handful of us are really gamers and most people just dress up as it's a long running tradition of the pub crawl (getting on 6 years of fancy dress charity pub crawl fun!)

The Tertris block was genius though but the way in which some of the other costumes were made might not have looked the best but were AWESOME for pure ingenuity and use of household items :)

P.S. I was also incredibly impressed by one of the lasses who turned up as a charatcer from Jet Set Radio. Another of my favourite games. Brilliant.

I bet it was fun, I wish my friends could do something like that.

4832333026_da24239108_b.jpg

Halfway into the pub crawl

Let's see how many of these I can get-

-There's you as Manny Calavera from Grim Fandango, of course

-Your friend, Duke Nuke'M

-Pacman and ghost (these are great! Including the

-Tetris piece)

-Hitman

-Lemmings!

-Street Fighter guys: Ken, at least one Ryu (is that a second one there?), -Sumo guy on the ground (E. Honda?)

-Sonic

-not sure who's next to the Sumo guy- is that something from Dragonball Z?

-Snake from Metal Gear

-Resident Evil - Leon Kennedy and.. is that Jill Valentine or Claire next to him

Not sure but am quite curious about the following:

-who is that guy sitting at the top of the arch- Contra?

-the two girls in pink (Are those two Princess Peaches?)

-and my big question is the Baby in blue on the back of the inflatable mother? It's a funny costume no matter what- just curious what video game that is.

It's surprising no one dressed up as Mario and Luigi, but I guess that's so common nobody wanted to do it.

Great costumes all around! I wish I could have joined your pub crawl- course I would have had to cross the Atlantic to get there!

Let's see how many of these I can get-

-There's you as Manny Calavera from Grim Fandango, of course

-Your friend, Duke Nuke'M

-Pacman and ghost (these are great! Including the

-Tetris piece)

-Hitman

-Lemmings!

-Street Fighter guys: Ken, at least one Ryu (is that a second one there?), -Sumo guy on the ground (E. Honda?)

-Sonic

-not sure who's next to the Sumo guy- is that something from Dragonball Z?

-Snake from Metal Gear

-Resident Evil - Leon Kennedy and.. is that Jill Valentine or Claire next to him

Not sure but am quite curious about the following:

-who is that guy sitting at the top of the arch- Contra?

-the two girls in pink (Are those two Princess Peaches?)

-and my big question is the Baby in blue on the back of the inflatable mother? It's a funny costume no matter what- just curious what video game that is.

It's surprising no one dressed up as Mario and Luigi, but I guess that's so common nobody wanted to do it.

Not a bad attempt! You've got most of them correcT!

There is indeed a second Ryu and that IS E-Honda...

- The guy on the archway is one of the guys from Command & Conquer (can't remember which one)

- Yeah two princess peaches

- The baby in blue is the sheep in wolf's clothing. He had only just gotten back from travelling the world and had that freaky costume laying around so just wore that!?!

Yeah no one did Mario or Luigi as I think EVERYONE thought there would be lots of them.

Others you didn't spot include

- Jet Set Radio girl (although not sure which one...)

- Link (on the arch)

- A poor attempt at jet set willy (far right)

- Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball girls (it was cold so alas neither went with the intended bikinis....curse!)

Also I don't have the pics of them but later on we had an awesome guy dressed up as a giant cardboard gameboy which was brilliant. As was a girl who came as Pikachu! There's another decent pic of some of this gang....I'll try and link it in a mo

I thought the guy on the arch was supposed to be Guile from the Street Fighter movie.

Cause of the blue camo and the hat

Yeah, that would have made more sense! He told us C&C though :)

here's another pic of the group...possibly with a little too much E.Honda love going on!?! Shame I haven't any from later when everyone had turned up. Think we were all pretty drunkern by then though....

4832333016_4e44552c9c.jpg

It must have been amazing fun. And then the really scary bit: your tab from the pub. I think all of you put a few pub brats through college that night.

My friend is an artist. So I hope this site will be very useful for her. I will forward this forum to her. She will be very happy to me.

Something about you has been... aggressive lately

How?

Its a spammer... do you expect me to be all nice to him/her?

Things like "fuck you you stupid fucking spamming bitch" aren't really necessary. They're bots for crying out loud, even if it was a real person they would never come back and read it anyways, all is you're doing is making yourself look like a angry midget.

You can, it's just a little pointless. It's like yelling at a brick wall. We're concerned about you, bro.
:lol: This^

The only exception to talking to spammers is when you're being funny, and other people read it and laugh, not just "FUCK YOU, YOU STUPID ASS FUCKING SPAMMING BITCH" Maybe a joke or a pun about their post, or you could just say something like "Sir if I catch you spamming these forums again, I will take your mother out on a nice seafood and NEVER call her back!". Yaknow? stuffs like that?

Sign in to follow this