Double Fine Action Forums

This is legitimate, a friend of mine received his mousepad in the mail yesterday. It takes about a week.

I'm just saying, look at all the facebook activity they have you generating for a $2 mousepad. Heeawwww.

i got the $5.99 one, and its free...and I love anything free, whether or not I need it

its awesome marketing, giving away free stuff for publicity...it's the easiest thing to do to get people to pay attention to them..lockerz was made around this idea and look how well they are doing. Why are you being so skeptical over a company trying to get business gridsleep?

When I bought my most recent car, I made sure it was one that didn't have the dealership sticker on the back. I don't come cheap and I don't do free advertising for anyone. If facebook wants me to promote their service, they'd better pony up.

true...also, I just remembered what type of advertising this is, it's called guerrilla marketing, which is basically advterising by doing random stuff that isn't typical (like tv ads, billboards, etc) to spread the word. Red Bull, when it was first starting out, had some people go out to clubs and bars and they planted empty red bull cans around the places to intrigue people....

no one really cares, but i just remembered this when I was in the shower

NOW YOU KNOW

true...also, I just remembered what type of advertising this is, it's called guerrilla marketing, which is basically advterising by doing random stuff that isn't typical (like tv ads, billboards, etc) to spread the word. Red Bull, when it was first starting out, had some people go out to clubs and bars and they planted empty red bull cans around the places to intrigue people....

NOW YOU KNOW

hmmm... i just got learned

AwwwwWWWWW BALLS. I missed out getting a Tika mousepad. ;___; oh well, maybe some day....

NOW YOU KNOW

NO, IT IS CALLED SPAM DAMMIT. PUTTING NEON AQUA TEEN CHARACTERS ON WALLS AROUND BOSTON IS GUERRILLA MARKETING. PUTTING ADVERTISEMENTS ON FACEBOOK WALLS IS SPAM.

Okay, let me explain this. Stop thinking of yourself as a guy who is getting a free mousepad, and start thinking of yourself as a shill.

Instead of paying for pricey adspace on facebook, this company gives you something worth pennies to post the message for them. They love this because your post is worth more than the adspace. It is in the news feed where your friends are more likely to be paying attention and less likely to expect ads. You are doing a disservice to your friends by polluting their feed. If more of your friend's friends go on to repost this message, your friend will end up with a lot of this junk to wade through. If I was that friend, I would feel annoyed (and maybe like shopping for mousepads). If I was you, I would feel used.

This is not a win/win situation. This is a win/win/lose situation. The people who have to endure these unsolicited messages (your friends) are the losers.

NOW YOU KNOW

NO, IT IS CALLED SPAM DAMMIT. PUTTING NEON AQUA TEEN CHARACTERS ON WALLS AROUND BOSTON IS GUERRILLA MARKETING. PUTTING ADVERTISEMENTS ON FACEBOOK WALLS IS SPAM.

Okay, let me explain this. Stop thinking of yourself as a guy who is getting a free mousepad, and start thinking of yourself as a shill.

Instead of paying for pricey adspace on facebook, this company gives you something worth pennies to post the message for them. They love this because your post is worth more than the adspace. It is in the news feed where your friends are more likely to be paying attention and less likely to expect ads. You are doing a disservice to your friends by polluting their feed. If more of your friend's friends go on to repost this message, your friend will end up with a lot of this junk to wade through. If I was that friend, I would feel annoyed (and maybe like shopping for mousepads). If I was you, I would feel used.

This is not a win/win situation. This is a win/win/lose situation. The people who have to endure these unsolicited messages (your friends) are the losers.

wow, just wow. Why are you making such a big deal over this? It's pretty much nothing. like someone said, you can just delete it after you do it. Also, its facebook, people wade through crap all the time, there are people that record every single damn thing they do in their day in ebonics (did I spell that right?) or freaking song lyrics that everyone posts. you guys are making this out to be a huge "HOLY CRAP WATCH OUT THE END OF THE WORLD IS COMING" and really, the only person who will get annoyed on facebook with this is a guy who only has like 4 friends on there, seeing as how pretty much everyone has upward of 100 friends now, i doesnt even count as a blip of their radar in their news feed. I understand were your coming from, but come on, stop fighting just to fight, its free mousepad dammit. Stop whining.

If doing all that on Facebook means so much nothing, why are they having people do it, with a mousepad as the carrot on the stick? I smell something in the wings. This isn't just nothing. Someone is up to something.

i'm not making a big deal out of their particular promotion. i'm making a big deal out of the misconception that this is a method of advertising one should encourage.

even if you can delete the post, i'm sure they've already had the opportunity to collect some information about you (like your email address or name). you did allow it access to your profile or whatever, right? anyway, i'm not saying they have or will do anything with that info, but personally i think it's a good idea to keep that sort of stuff locked down.

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

The Doctor has finally gotten his free Mouse pad. Shipped from Hong Kong.

I received mine the other day too. I was afraid it was going to be one of those ridiculous cheap mouse pads that are super thin and lose traction after a month of use. These are actually quite nice

Sign in to follow this