Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Insomnia

Dwarf Fortress

In my current fortress, a young girl drowned. Her father, angry, depressed, and a little insane, destroyed all of our farms that were sustaining more than sixty dwarves. I kept trying to build farm plots (in different areas of the map, too), but the dwarves kept suspending them for whatever reason. Anyway, after a full year of having to command dwarves to strangle little berserking girls, starvation, men abusing their pets, one woodcutter who cut many residents of the fortress

apart (that guy was good with an axe, he killed three people in my militia), others destroying people's beds (waste of wood, especially when you sign a treaty with the elves), and ignoring commands to hunt for rodents, they finally decided to start building the farms. Now I have a beautiful statue garden with two masterpieces, a huge command room with a maze full of traps leading to it (not necessary as much as it is badass), and I'm starting to get some industry deeper down. Finally Dwarf Fortress doesn't feel like depressing work.

I am trying adventure mode.

While wandering through town, I ran into a merchant trying to sell me an octopus leather loincloth. I am playing as a woman.

Hahaahah! I love Adventure Mode. Don't get attached to your character though.

Also loincloths are kind of everywhere in adventure mode, they're like underwear almost. I personally tend to wear just a loincloth in my adventures because I like playing barbarian warriors who laugh at the cowardly knights in their metal suits.

Hahaahah! I love Adventure Mode. Don't get attached to your character though.

Also loincloths are kind of everywhere in adventure mode, they're like underwear almost. I personally tend to wear just a loincloth in my adventures because I like playing barbarian warriors who laugh at the cowardly knights in their metal suits.

You want to catch Kitten Rot? You need to cover yourself head to toe to protect yourself from forgotten beast and titan extracts.

Lurking around the bay 12 forums has given me some insight into DF combat:

-Unless you are a super humanly/dwarvenly tough legendary+ dodger, not wearing METAL armor is a death sentence. Leather armor is better than clothing but otherwise useless.

-A weapon which does slashing+piercing is probably best for adventurers. Slashing damage disables limbs quickly, piercing weapons destroys major organs and can penetrate armor. Bludgeoning damage kills things relatively slowly, but bypasses armor and can damage pretty much everything.

-Ambushing is a useful, easily grindable skill.

-Always start with at least adequate swimming and novice reading. If you don't have adequate swimming you will drown if in water 7+ deep. Reading is (mostly) useless but there is no way to increase it in game, and if you have at least novice in it you can

become a necromancer.

Wait are you attempting to win at DF Adventure? If so let's pump the brakes right there. You don't win DF Adventure. You merely survive long enough to die in an amusing fashion.

So fare I've completed a quest. Because Ant People don't wear armor. So I'm still armor less. Also my inventory is filling up with coins from all of the ibexes I've killed and I am now a master ambusher! 8^)

So my character finally died. I was talking to a merchant, and instead of hitting "report success" (for killing the ant woman) I hit "accuse of being a night creature.

Did you know vampires can tear out your intestines and strangle you with them? Because I didn't.

MIGRANTS GO AWAY!

Seriously I had a happy little fort of like 19. I was getting ready to start creating a metal industry and then 34 MIGRANTS arrive and wreck my shit. Had to fast track new bedrooms and a larger Meeting Hall/Dining Room and extend my farming operation. No sooner is that done, and before I can start assigning labors for my ridiculously lazy new dwarves (one which has already decided to go insane because I didn't have that metal industry I was getting ready to build before she and her friends showed up) 11 more of the jackasses flood into my Fort.

I want a mod to cap Migrant Waves at 15.

Wait, you didn't build a dormitory full of beds? I always make one ASAP and then convert it into a hospital.

Discovering some advanced features in Dwarf Therapist that should help with my Migrant woes going forward.

Also I just found out from a Let's Play I'm watching that you can select which foodstuffs can be cooked and which can be brewed. A more honest name for Dwarf Fortress would be Micromanagement: The Game xD

Sign in to follow this