Went to a The Mountain Goats concert recently. Probably, the most fun concert I've ever been to (not the best just the most enjoyable). Also, John played an awesome song called For Charles Bronson for the first time out of rehearsal during the solo section, so that was cool.

Ok, I'm going to say it, Why do so many people like Daft Punk? I don't see the appeal in the uber repetitive techno music. Can someone explain it to me?

Wow toonami? That was back when music videos on the internet were 100% useless since it took about 30 minutes to load.

Got into a good oldish Progressive Rock band today called King Crimson, listening to their 1969 album In the 'Court of the Crimson King'

Got into a good oldish Progressive Rock band today called King Crimson, listening to their 1969 album In the 'Court of the Crimson King'

HIGH FIVE, Epitaph is one of my most favorite songs ever. Now you might get into some real 70's music and decide it didn't suck!

What are you talking about? I'm the guy on the forums that ONLY (almost)listens to music from about that time, when have I ever said the 70's suck? Its the time when like 3 quarters of what I listen to is from.

Are you sure it wasn't you?

hmmmm. then I wonder who it was. I was sure it was you.

No you've got my music tastes back the front, probably 90 percent of what I listen to is 60's and 70's music, it's new music I hate, not old music.

Note: I also need to get into the other Progressive rock bands that are supposed to be really good, like Yes, Genesis and more King Crimson stuff.

No you've got my music tastes back the front, probably 90 percent of what I listen to is 60's and 70's music, it's new music I hate, not old music.

Note: I also need to get into the other Progressive rock bands that are supposed to be really good, like Yes, Genesis and more King Crimson stuff.

Try Camel (yes, I'm always pushing Camel) and

And
Man new music gets a bad wrap. Once you push past the chart toppers that the rest of world is enjoying then you find really nice stuff.

But good bands become bad because of that chart topping music Example: Muse

It was I! I am the evil 70's hater. But really, in my opinion, from what I've heard, there were like five good prog bands, a few good metal bands, a couple good electronic bands, a couple early punk bands, and a shit load of shitty disco, hard rock (Led Zepplin is possibly the most overrated band ever), and pop. I listen to a lot of classical music, jazz, blues, rock, pop, country, folk, noise, and even some vocal bands like The Ink Spots, and yet there's something about 70's music I hate besides for about 10 bands.

It was I! I am the evil 70's hater. But really, in my opinion, from what I've heard, there were like five good prog bands, a few good metal bands, a couple good electronic bands, a couple early punk bands, and a shit load of shitty disco, hard rock (Led Zepplin is possibly the most overrated band ever), and pop. I listen to a lot of classical music, jazz, blues, rock, pop, country, folk, noise, and even some vocal bands like The Ink Spots, and yet there's something about 70's music I hate besides for about 10 bands.
*stabs Insomnia*

King Crimson

The Moody Blues

Pink Floyd

Rush

Camel

Cai

Mezquita

Kaipa

Yes

Genesis

Nektar

Magma

Triana

Jethro Tull

Frank Zappa

Hawkwind

Kansas

Emerson Lake & Palmer

Van Der Graaf Generator

Gentle Giant

Uriah Heep

GONG

Yup, only five. FYI just because you don't know a lot about a genre doesn't mean there wasn't that much good stuff.

I never claim a genre I don't know about to not have anything good in it. (except hip-hop, I know there isn't anything I like in that shit.)

My tastes are pretty vast, just cos I only listen to old music doesn't mean I don't listen to ALOOOOT of different old music, I listen to music from the 30's to 80'S (Not alot of 80's music... to me it's when music started to become crappy and sytnthy and MTVeye

But yeah, rock with it's ten million subgeneres is my favorite genre. I also like whatever genre stuff like "Bing Crosby" and "The Ink Spots" is from waaay back. Like blues and a little bit of jazz. Classic Metals Good oh and Funk, Funk is awesome.

The genres I don't like are Pop, Rap (Eugh... rap), Techno, and all those terrible sub genres of Metal that rely on shock value to appeal rather than decent music.

Oh yeah and I don't like hip hop to.

My tastes are pretty vast, just cos I only listen to old music doesn't mean I don't listen to ALOOOOT of different old music, I listen to music from the 30's to 80'S (Not alot of 80's music... to me it's when music started to become crappy and sytnthy and MTVeye

But yeah, rock with it's ten million subgeneres is my favorite genre. I also like whatever genre stuff like "Bing Crosby" and "The Ink Spots" is from waaay back. Like blues and a little bit of jazz. Classic Metals Good oh and Funk, Funk is awesome.

The genres I don't like are Pop, Rap (Eugh... rap), Techno, and all those terrible sub genres of Metal that rely on shock value to appeal rather than decent music.

Oh yeah and I don't like hip hop to.

*High Five for similar tastes*

Also I do like bluegrass, and blues based country music as well. Don't really know why, I just find it awesome. And I really really dislike techno and rap because of how repetitive they are. Do you think that too?

Why don't people like Pop? It's the biggest genre out there encompassing a myriad of different musical sounds and lyrical themes. Sure today's "pop" is general shorthand for overproduced focus tested shit. But the genre is far from devoid of merit, especially once you start sampling what goes by pop in England these days. *Is defensive because half his music library is composed of so called pop songs*

The only genre I cannot stand on a whole is Country Western. Keith Urban, Carrie Underwood and Sugarland can kiss my ass. If I want country I'll look to Canada.

Because pop puts too much emphasis on lyrics and singing. Also the generic verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus song structure is so plain and dull, and it makes up about 99% of all pop songs in any sub genre of pop. Plus the lack of deviation from 4/4 and 2/4 time signatures just makes it boring as there are no risks. Those are just my thoughts though.

I've never really liked country music either Bookdust, just can't really stand songs that are made up of just chords. Also Blues is something I've really been getting into alot lately, mainly cos most of the rock I like is basically heavier blues-rock. Been listening to a bit of Stevie Ray Vaugn and I'm going to get into B.B King and Robert Johnson once I get abit of their albums. I don't mind Jazz I guess... but I've never really enjoyed it the same way as I have blues though some of the Jazz elements in prog rock bands like King Crimson are good.

Because pop puts too much emphasis on lyrics and singing. Also the generic verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus song structure is so plain and dull, and it makes up about 99% of all pop songs in any sub genre of pop. Plus the lack of deviation from 4/4 and 2/4 time signatures just makes it boring as there are no risks. Those are just my thoughts though.

Completely fair and thought out points. I don't know enough about the make-up of music to argue on your level though. For my part. I like stuff that is pleasant to my ears and doesn't get dull after ten listens. So different (and in my case simpler) tastes I guess.

I listen to alot of 70's hard rock and 90's grunge, then everything inbetween thrash and prog... Not the hugest fan of 80's music (although some of my favorite bands peaked in the 80's)

Favorite genre's would be Thrash, Prog, and Grunge, There are a select few death metal bands i can enjoy (im getting more adapted to heavier stuff as i go along) .... but i still cringe at the low GRRROOOWWWLIIINNGGG

Favorite band of all time has to be Led Zeppelin, It was the first band i ever really "listened to" My 'ol man introduced me to them when i was a youngen... They're my dads favorite band, They're my favorite band. No matter how far i stray in musical taste, zeppelin will always appeal to me

Much Recently ive been getting into punk, (a genre ive never cared for in the past)

Completely fair and thought out points. I don't know enough about the make-up of music to argue on your level though. For my part. I like stuff that is pleasant to my ears and doesn't get dull after ten listens. So different (and in my case simpler) tastes I guess.

Yeah, that's good that you at least have reasons for liking it other than: "it's what my friends listen to" And in some cases simpler music just works better for the mood, like blues or folk. It just makes sense not to change you musical tastes based on what people tell you. Only broaden them, as it will make you better at picking out which music from which genre you like and don't like more easily.

Never really had the social pressure to help (or hinder) the development of my musical tastes. With the exception of my parent's (my mother in particular) shaping my my musical tastes early on I've pretty much been figuring things out on my own.

I'm certainly not limited to pop. I listen to a great variety of genres across the entire history of recorded music.

On my iPod right now I've got artists like:

-Janelle Monae (R&B)

-The Beatles (Rock)

-The Carpenters

-Jason Mraz

-Kelly Clarkson (All listed as Pop)

-Michael Buble (Jazz)

-La Roux (Dance)

-Lily Allen

- The Ting Tings (British Pop)

- Nicole Atkins

- Yeah Yeah Yeahs

- Metric (Alternative)

I've also got a few old country songs and one whole hip-hop album. And it's true I don't have a lot of old stuff on my iPod and little to know metal. I tend to listen to older music online, and metal with the exception of older groups like Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden does little for me musically.

70s prog all the way, man. Senior covered it, though, pretty well (didn't know you were a GONG fan, too :)). Then New Wave and the other New Wave (of British Heavy Metal). 70s had a lot of great stuff.

The Moody Blues are fantastic. It amazes me how early they got their start, too (about as early as Zappa).