• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.

This is one of the most interesting songs I have heard in so long in terms of songwriting.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS2kKDdFGmM

Do any of you know any good metal/rock operas?

NOW YOU ARE TALKING MY LANGUAGE!

Prepare for massive post.

I'll just put some info about the album concept and a video of one of my favorite songs from the album. They are mostly going to be power/prog metal so be prepared for that.

Glory Hammer: Tales from the Kingdom of Mcfife. A parody of Power Metal concept albums, about Angus Mcfife and his quest for the Gloryhammer after a sorcerer ransacked his village with an army of undead unicorns.

Mind's Eye: Gentleman's Hurricane. A great prog album about an assassin.

Devin Townsend: Ziltoid the Omniscient. Another parody album about a 4th dimensional being that comes to earth to taste the finest coffee to fuel his time bending powers.

Dream Theater: Metropolis pt.2 Scenes from a Memory. This album is THE definitive prog-metal concept album that tells the story of a man that has dreams of his past life as women that was murdered.

Haken: Aquarius. A really interesting album about a mermaid born and abandoned by her parents. (I found the full album for this one)

Kamelot: Epica & The Black Halo. If there is any album that you check out from this post, make it these two. It's a double album about the story of Faust who makes a deal with the devil. I am serious, these albums are amazing. The Black Halo is probably my favorite album of all time.

Pathfinder: Fifth Element. Just a fun ride, the album is about wizards gaining the knowledge of the 5th element of magic. The element of course is heavy metal. yeah.

I have more if you want me to make this post even longer.

Thanks guys. Most of these seem to be on Spotify so I've saved them as playlists to listen to later.

You can post as many as you want Seniormeld. There's no need to find a youtube video, I don't like using youtube to listen to music.

Saw Atoms for Peace perform on The Daily Show this weekend, and this song has really grown on me.

For some reason talking about Fhqwhgads' voice reminded me of this:

PJQVlVHsFF8

Anal Cunt it just exactly what I want to listen to when I feel like listening to grindcore casually for a few minutes. The perfect amount of silly. Hitler was a Very Sensitive Man is my favorite, love that song.

Anyways I just got home from Phish tour, that was fun.

xvTRuAwpgP4

Some tracks.

VBmCJEehYtU

uzU8ME95Qbs

d-VVnhwB4Gw

T5Cp55MvX54

OhfgcPE2hVo

Been listening to this one a lot. Really good song writing IMO. It was written for a movie about a boy who's friend was a rat named Ben.

I listen to a lot of indie and alternative rock, but I'd like to broaden my horizons more.

Suggest some stuff that you think might be out of my comfort zone, or that I might be unfamiliar with.

Is something like Foo Fighters classified 'Alternative Rock'? It's a rather vague name for a genre.

But anyway, this is an awesome song. Be sure to watch the music video, it's pretty good.

I listen to a lot of indie and alternative rock, but I'd like to broaden my horizons more.

Suggest some stuff that you think might be out of my comfort zone, or that I might be unfamiliar with.

Here's a (relatively old) RnB/rap cover of an old pop song performed by a french vocal duo. It's old, pop, and not in english, from what you listed it might be out of your comfort zone.

@Bidiot Bales, Lol it's Falling Down (the movie). That's cool, can't go wrong with Foo Fighters!

I really like this cover of Loretta Lynn's "The Other Woman." The song has a unique perspective on cheating that you don't (or at least I don't) see in most music. Still kinda homewrecker-y though.

Starts at 1:08

How far out of your comfort zone do you want to go exactly?

Don't know much about this song, other than a famous Brazilian singer named Alcione performed (or may have wrote) it. Ultra catchy for the weekend doh. The singer, Janaina Lima, was also half of a cool duo called Kaleidoscopio that made dance music mainly.

How far out of your comfort zone do you want to go exactly?

Just anything I'm unfamiliar with. Bonus points if it's an entire genre I've never heard of before.

I never feel as if I'm "well-versed" enough in pop culture, there's always an increasingly large amount of things I haven't read, watched, or seen yet. So I need to catch up.

I have no idea whether you'll care for any of this but this medacris is what I listen to a lot and I'll try to make it eclectic:

Hallucinogen is dope and really accessible as far as psytrance goes

jD3XsUR3ZRo

Everyone's all like 'oh this guy listens to phish: disregard everything he says' but I think this jam is really cool

J4pewGd8kDs

This song is cool when it's cold and dark outside and I'm kind of depressed actually everything by Agalloch is

PuPz7cMD3qs

This is my single favorite song ever by one of my favorite musicians

ihloFPQxjkE

I've been listening to a lot of postrock lately I dunno

OL_FM9h_kv4

Chick Corea is literally like my favorite ever:

sa21WPH4_U4

Everyone knows Tool but this is my favorite song by them I listen to it a lot when I do heroin but it's kinda cool anyhow you listen to it I guess:

ja3LGFY1i0o

This band is also kind of unique and I like it so I'll put it here

6H22lajS4GE

I like glitch hop to, I like most hops that don't involve ebonics. Hops... Mmmm beer. Beer for breakfast? I'm getting sidetracked.

WWsz2bvhpQ4

If you like any of those I can and will make like a million recommendations for bands like them even if you only kind of like them or make a half-polite reply acknowledging any particular one. Fair warning.

Since this is a mammoth of a post already I'm just going to announce that I'm going to bump the required music listening thread in a few days since we have telltale people here now. I liked that thread and thought it was cool but it kind of fizzled out when people didn't follow the rules. Also since this forum is pretty slow I literally listen to every song that gets posted just because there's a quirky bunch of people on this forum with quirky tastes in music and I like it.

@Kesha, All those songs seem they're within genres you gotta dive into the rabbit hole to even be exposed to. That's hella cool. Esp. the one that Emilie Autumn song. It's like a dirty rock meets beebop solo or something. Is that on the violin (must have distortion or something)?

I love fusion though. It's like video game music without the video games.

Here's my music post for the day:

Heliotrope Bouquet, performed by Pink Martini (Thomas Lauderdale on Piano). It was written by the great Ragtime composer Scott Joplin, and a lesser known rag pianist Louis Chauvin. I believe that Chauvin wrote the first part of the song (the "sweet" part I assume), while Joplin finished it with his more "upbeat" rag portion. This version/interpretation is pretty tame/chill compared to most performances of this song. It's really nice to listen to on a Sunday IMO.

Shoomon Foo, yeah that song was an electric violin with a lot of distortion. And that was a very nice, chill song. Very relaxing. I'm not familiar with either of the composers you mentioned but I will look into them a bit.

If you like fusion I assume you're familiar with the Mahavishnu Orchestra?

v4K1VxNg9Bc

Speaking of jazz this is a guy that I had for a piano teacher for a long time when I was a kid. He taught me to enjoy jazz before I really started listening to rock and roll or anything. He also plays the keyboard standing up so he's pretty much like the coolest guy ever:

MwIge6jAFNI

@Ke$ha, Never heard of that group before. It's a little too psychedelic for my tastes (not that it was "bad" or anything), I'm more of a Weather Report type of dood. It's rare to have an appreciation for jazz when you're young (understanding solos is so foreign). Your teacher is rad! A pianist with a guitar frontman sensibilities.

@Anenome, that first one would make a great track for a animated short. That last one totally made me have flashbacks to when I was really into Nagi Noda. She did the

. The eyes totally might have been inspiration for

Here's another video Nagi Noda directed for a Japanese pop star, YUKI. After she made it, she was offered to make something similar for a

Don't know Japanese, but always liked this song.

Can't remember if I posted Cardiacs before, but they're a pretty interesting band. They have pretty strange songs, but they're all held together by this very strong melodic sense that makes them feel quite accessible despite their weirdness and relative complexity.

If you like melody but also like to be a little bit challenged, I recommend them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TskuqmhRZ8U

I'm a big fan of the album GOOD Kid Maad City by Kendrick Lamar and when I acquired it there were all these bonus tracks. I wasn't really a fan of it because there were so many and like, the album is borderline a prog-rap album (not really, but it tells a story ) so having all these tracks that didn't really fit it at the end was annoying.

However I listened to one of them, this one, and man I love this song:

I'm a massive fan of people rapping over beats that have like, soulful or fem vocal samples in them.

@Surplus, they (the Cardiacs) sound like a band you listen if you want to add a little madness in your day imo.

@dinner, Kanye totally made his career off of making tracks like that. Dig the song though. I was surprised to hear Kendrick Lamar (albeit shortly) on a Quadron track recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHkrNp0ISPc

I've been listening to a lot of the album Bilateral by Leprous lately. I'm hooked on it, it's so good.

@Double H, I really like the instrumentals in this bad. The intros for "Forced Entry," "Waste of Air," and all of "Detour," are really good imo.

Looked up a band who I thought was still active to see if they made anything new. Sadly they didn't, but doing so did remind me how good they were (imo). If you're into competitive fighting games you probably know about them, the bass player (Desk) makes combo videos. Project Dolphin (named after the Nintendo Game Cube's code name I assume) mostly does fusion covers of video game tracks or original music that sounds like it belongs in a video game.

Hope they bring something out eventually.