• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.

OH NO! Double post! I only want to post once a day to keep it bumped so I can listen to what you guys listen to (something new/maybe uncomfortable) and not stroke my own musical palette forcing it on others like a pretentious hipster (well maybe just a little). So ima SLAM for double posts.

MY SLAM WILL JAM ON!

The one where Kate Winslet and Leonardo Dicaprio team up with the Loony Toons to beat space icebergs in a game of basketball on a capsizing ship called the Tijamic.

Sorry for the delay, I'll check these all out as soon as I can.

I'm not looking for anything specific, but I'm always excited to get into a genre I didn't even know existed yet.

Wow, I've been listeing to Vaya Con Dios for ages, never realized they were Belgian. It's a mix of Jazz and gypsy music

Not sure if available in your country. Use VPN or proxy o_O

7LUm-E4GPU8

W6XnJNdm-8k

0uREy_Hhnv4

@medacris, Slam Jam remixes are the only genre when you think about it.

@JelDeRebel, Never heard of that band before. It's cool that they mix new world genres (Jazz, rock, blues, latin) with European sensibilities (or at least that what it sounds like to me). That fist song is totally Django Reinhardt with lyrics dough, super cool. Gypsy jazz (i feel) never caught on in the states aside from Reinhardt . Is it prevalent in Europe? Only other gypsy Jazz I know is Joscho Stephan.

@Fhqwhgads, A-Camp and Cardigans are so awesome. Life and Fist Band on the Moon are such a great albums, every track on them are worth a listen (imo). Charlie Charlie and Algebra are my favorite songs from A-Camp.

Here's a song by French/Finnish duo the Dø. The singer's (Olivia Merilahti) voice always reminded me of Nina Persson for some reason, with touches of Bjork mixed in.

They also have a rap song featured in Saints Row the Third if I remember right.

@Fhqwhgads, I never heard of this artist before, It's different to me but I see how people can be into this. I'm sure everyone in the room means well, but for a performer I bet it's hard having people laughing at you while you do something you're passionate about. You can see how he's affected by this with the little shiver in his voice (or maybe that's just an artistic choice/use of vibrato). It's cool though, I get it... He's a pop singer with heavy metal, similar to GWAR, influenced showmanship.

Been listening to lots of Stevie Wonder lately.

My mom got me 'Catch a Fire' today on vinyl, it looks nearly untouched considering it's from 1972 and sounds great. Or rather she gave it to me today I'm not sure where/when it came from.

@Ke$ha, that's awesome. Maybe if you put it on ice it'll be worth something someday, or a cool family heirloom.

Here's a neat band that may be really different (yet familiar) sounding for most, White Shoes and the Couples Company. They're from Indonesia and write most of their music to sound like sappy movie soundtracks from the 60s/70s. I think they're releasing a new album soon too.

to avoid weighing down the page.

I got a few new albums recently including (seniormeld should cover his ears):

Night Visions by Imagine Dragons

Native by OneRepublic

The Lumineers

True by Avicii

All great albums if you're into their music. Also, I am addicted to that song "Still Into You" by Paramore.

@Acefox, those are solid pickups! That Paramore song is super catchy.

Here's a nice song for winter nights imo. Written for the movie "The Thomas Crown Affair," performed/covered by the Canadian singer Esthero ([del]I also think Arturo Sandoval is on trumpet, but not sure[/del]).

Double post! Jam time!

Cowboy BeJam, an Anime that follows a group of interplanetary basketball bounty hunters.

This isn't really my thing but kind of cool and very easy to enjoy. It's also blowing up really fast and I'm probably going to be sick of it within the month, but I suppose I should just enjoy it:

qJ_MGWio-vc

That chick has a really great voice.

I wasn't going to go there but then I saw this video in the related comments and it reminded me why I can't really get into Penatonix or Lindsey Stirling:

aE2GCa-_nyU

IMO while both Penatonix and Lindsey Stirling are really talented it's like instead of really going out and making the type of music that they're really gifted at making they mix whatever genre they (to me seem) gifted at making with much more familiar themes to make it super accessible to the 90% of people who don't listen to anything but rock and dubstep. I don't know maybe Lindsey Stirling is really passionate about her version of mixing edm with a violin, but I don't really believe that. Or maybe I just choose not to believe it because I can't imagine someone having so much raw talent on the violin would think that those sub-par edm sounds actually make her song sound better. I listen to a lot of house/trance and I really like classical music but I really don't hear them complimenting one another in her music. And don't even get me started on imagine dragons...

Thoughts on the first video.

1) Oh, that black guy is good at making silly noises. It's an annoying beat though.

2) What is Matt Smith doing in the orange hat?

3) Chick's wearing too much eye shadow.

4) Bearded guy need to stop smiling - he looks like a pedo.

5) That was nice. Can quite happily live without hearing it again though.

@Ke$ha, I think most artists (especially nowadays) make something super catchy to go viral to get exposure. I'm not sure if these artists in particular are doing that or not, but I'm sure either way they're getting exposure. Make a pop song/cover so people will at least be curious enough to listen to the other stuff you've made, and if they become fans you might have a fan base big enough to make something you always wanted to. That's how I see it anyways.

Here's a song by Alice Smith that hasn't been on an album yet. She released a pretty good album this year funded by kickstarter (it has

).

It's cool how she just turns it off and on so fast.

Not sure that this will make that much sense to people outside Sweden, but that could be the fun of it. :)

One of Swedens most popular artists of the 90's makes a cover of an older swedish classic song, in the previous season one of our most popular tv shows - På Spåret (the latest season started today).

'straya FTW.

This song is my summer song. (Yes, we get Summer in December).

Such a great track, and the video's really clever.

@Bales, can't have a year without a Summer Jam! That's hella weird though... you gotta label your summer jams like

Summer Jam 2013-2014 = Riptide

@Cecil, I really like the structure/delivery of that song. It's mostly tension/buildup until the trumpet kicks in and makes it hella awesomer. The doods sitting at the stand seem amazed.

The structure kinda reminds me of a Corrine Bailey Rae song. Mostly just tension and one point of release.

Sup warrior, FYI you only include the gibberish after the third / on this website. Kind of counter-intuitve.

Thoughts on the first video.

1) Oh, that black guy is good at making silly noises. It's an annoying beat though.

2) What is Matt Smith doing in the orange hat?

3) Chick's wearing too much eye shadow.

4) Bearded guy need to stop smiling - he looks like a pedo.

5) That was nice. Can quite happily live without hearing it again though.

Agreed on most points except 3. I feel like I've had this conversation on here before. I mean it would be too much eyeshadow if I was like hanging out with a girl or like eating lunch, but I don't know that there's such thing as too much makeup for a music video or certain special events. I think she pulls it off quite well.

For some reason I also kind of prefer listening to acapella groups where the soprano is a girl. Not that the guy misses any notes from what I've listened to.

@Ke$ha, I think most artists (especially nowadays) make something super catchy to go viral to get exposure. I'm not sure if these artists in particular are doing that or not, but I'm sure either way they're getting exposure. Make a pop song/cover so people will at least be curious enough to listen to the other stuff you've made, and if they become fans you might have a fan base big enough to make something you always wanted to. That's how I see it anyways.

That's an optimistic way to look at it; probably at least partly to mostly true in this case.

@Warrior, chill music on a Sunday is always awesome!

@Ke$ha, here's an example that comes to mind/is good for a Sunday listen. Went viral-ish a while back.

They put out pretty decent stuff outside of covers IMO.

Some slow music I really like, perfect for winter :P

http://youtu.be/S85nT1n5fzg

When you are using the mobile site of youtube you just have to include the specific video code in the brackets. You don't need "Http://youtu.be/" at all.

Warrior's videos

s2jieTAMFLI

S85nT1n5fzg

Some slow music I really like, perfect for winter :P

http://youtu.be/S85nT1n5fzg

When you are using the mobile site of youtube you just have to include the specific video code in the brackets. You don't need "Http://youtu.be/" at all.

Warrior's videos

s2jieTAMFLI

S85nT1n5fzg

They werent mobile, the full link didnt work so I used the shortened links Youtube gives you if you wanna share the video but those obviously didnt work either.

But thanks :D

@Fhqwhgads, that song just screams training montage! Didn't know Power Glove composed that album (just "wikied" it), purdy sweet.

@chyron8472, the entire Kirby soundtrack is so good. Most of the songs feel heroic/adventurous, especially when they released orchestrated versions of more of the popular themes (like for Smash Bros. Melee)

Keeping the theme of video game music, here's some Minibosses.

This is one of my favorite game soundtrack covers:

g0MLscghcN4

Also this:

L-LXA-o0SDU

@Fhqwhgads, that song just screams training montage! Didn't know Power Glove composed that album (just "wikied" it), purdy sweet.
"Powerglove" the metal band did not do the music for Blood Dragon. It was some other guy that decided to go by "Power Glove." I don't know if you thought the metal band did it or not, but most people make that mistake.

"Powerglove" the metal band did not do the music for Blood Dragon. It was some other guy that decided to go by "Power Glove." I don't know if you thought the metal band did it or not, but most people make that mistake.

Yeah, i made the assumption it was the same Powerglove after glancing at the wiki. Still great music either way!

@chyron8472, wow that dood is talented. Really quality/creative guitar solos!

Here's another Castlevania cover. The drummer and pianist play off of each other really well and they keep the whole piece dynamic throughout. Jazz covers for video game songs are always fun imo.

@chyron8472, such a good song. Great mix of creepy/action "feel" imo.

More vidya gamez! Here's a simple hip-hopish zelda mix i've been listening to recently. This guy did some mixes of OoT and MM the second of which turned out better imo. It's nice to listen to if you're not really into what Team Teamwork did with Zelda Mixes.