Double Fine Action Forums

I may not be an Ariana Grande fan, but HOT DAMN this dude has tasty chops!

sNsdnYuUNT0

I saw Iron Maiden again tonight. I think it's time #4. His voice is actually better now, after surgery for tongue cancer, than it has been the past 2 times I've seen him. So, better than it has been in almost 10 years.

Hm. Well, I'm disappointed with myself. If there's one movie genre I'm an expert at, it would be 80's horror. I can't really think of whole soundtracks that were synth heavy and considered good. Movies like Return of the Living Dead and Friday the 13th Part 3 had synth themes, but their soundtracks were more rock.

Slumber Party Massacre was synth, but I wouldn't call it good.

Your target years for heavy synth use seem to be 82-85 really. Pre-82, orchestral scores were the most popular and post-86, rock music ruled, starting the trend of collection soundtracks.

The reason I asked is because I'm writing a horror movie set in the 80s about a carnival full of murderous children and I need inspiration. Adventureland meets Children of the Corn.

Okay, I have my playlist.

Running With The Devil - Van Halen

Eyes Without A Face - Billy Idol

Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley

No More Mr. Nice Guy - Alice Cooper

One Thing Leads To Another - The Fixx

Chariots of Pumpkins - John Carpenter and Alan Howarth

Dream Music - Jonathan Elias

Doppel - Disasterpeace

Suspiria - Goblin

Stalking The High School - Ralph Jones

Phenomena (Version 1) - Claudio Simonetti

No Escape - Charles Bernstein

Squealer - Richard Whitmarsh & South Shore Concert Band

Mike Meets Fluffy - John Harrison

The Burning - Rick Wakeman

e8Fi46BFAF0

Extremely saddened by today's news of Gord Downie's terminal illness.

The Tragically Hip have some amazing songs including this one, New Orleans Is Sinking, Locked In The Trunk Of A Car, Wheat Kings, Hard Done By, etc etc.

Stream of Passion. Another of the many many projects Arjen Lucassen has started...

(he's the giant dutch guitarist on the left of the stage)

The lead singer, Marcela Bovio, has an absolutely captivating voice. I feel like I'm breaking some kind of unspoken rule by posting 3 videos at once but they're just so good.

GLMdc4ab6Yw

b56A2NUP0Mg

SZeilPE9VF0

I have the studio and live album. They're okay. There were only a couple songs I really liked. It wasn't one of my favourite Arjen albums, but it wasn't the worst either.

We should pick a really corny song and then everyone who wants to do it should take turns recording themselves singing lyrics and then one of use schmucks edits it together into a music video. Viral music video = all the money.

I have the studio and live album. They're okay. There were only a couple songs I really liked. It wasn't one of my favourite Arjen albums, but it wasn't the worst either.

Their other albums (the ones I've listened to so far) haven't been as great as the first, but that's because Arjen wasn't involved and I just really like his style of writing. You're right, not every song is anything special, but the ones that are I really like. Not that they are remarkably complicated, they're just really catchy.

Incidentally, I'm intending on getting The Theatre Equation Blu-Ray which is available for preorder now and comes out just before Father's Day (I'm guilt tripping my wife into this one lol). Arjen released the whole first song on YouTube recently. I'm very excited.

0zaJlvmpLrw

Edited by MusicallyInspired

I should have checked out Genesis a long time ago. They're excellent.

I've also been listening to a couple of artists that I like that have recently released new albums: Myrath released Legacy few monts ago and it's an excellent album. I like most of the songs on it.

Duat is probably my favorite sonng from it.

Frost* also just released a new album and on first listen I think it's unfortunately just kind of meh? I need to give it another listen to really make up my mind on it though. I like the song

from it.

So, the new Metallica album, it's sounding quite descent so far. 

Edited by CecilRousso

Metallica hasn't been good since the mid-90s.  It all went to hell when St. Anger came out.  2016 also has an interesting match up between Metallica and Avenged Sevenfold who are both releasing new albums this year.

I last few albums I bought were Meat Loaf's Bat Out Of Hell, a bootleg of Stevie Ray Vaughan playing Tokyo, Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti (my favorite Zep song is Custard Pie), Dwight Yoakam's Swimmin Pools Movie Stars, Rory Gallagher's Tattoo, and The Very Beast Of Dio

6 hours ago, epic said:

Metallica hasn't been good since the mid-90s.  It all went to hell when St. Anger came out.  2016 also has an interesting match up between Metallica and Avenged Sevenfold who are both releasing new albums this year.

St Anger, Load and Re-Load were pretty bad but I thought Death Magnet was a step in the right direction. I listen to Death Magnet more than the Black Album even, but I stop the comparisons there, Ride the Lightning and everything that came before it are close to untouchable IMO.

22 minutes ago, Noname215 said:

I last few albums I bought were Meat Loaf's Bat Out Of Hell, a bootleg of Stevie Ray Vaughan playing Tokyo, Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti (my favorite Zep song is Custard Pie), Dwight Yoakam's Swimmin Pools Movie Stars, Rory Gallagher's Tattoo, and The Very Beast Of Dio

Is the best of Dio the double-album that had a disk of pre-"Dio" bands? I found that album when I was in like middle school, prior to listening to that I never realized how good his early catalog is.

No, it's a single disc with 16 songs from the actual Dio years. Like Stand Up And Shout, The Last In Line, Holy Diver and Rainbow In The Dark.

Speaking of Meat Loaf, this song he did with Ted Nugent is awesome. Ted's first four albums are pretty solid but then he got really goofy with the licks and the sound mixing.

I am very excited for this. So far the confirmed singer and musician lineup is: James LaBrie (Dream Theater), Floor Jansen (Nightwish), Michael Mills (Toehider), Simone Simons (Epica),  Tommy Rogers (Between the Buried and Me), and guitarist Paul Gilbert!