Double Fine Action Forums

I like grunge because it fucking sounds cool, not because its depressing as fuck, angry as fuck, hard to play as fuck, or melodic as fuck.

Opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one

Yeah, and some people need colostomy bags.

Yeah... :(

I like grunge because it fucking sounds cool, not because its depressing as fuck, angry as fuck, hard to play as fuck, or melodic as fuck.

Honestly, your argument has more merit for grunge than anything else I have heard. Sometimes its good to like music just for the sound and nothing more. But when you start applying reasons to like music that aren't truly in the music itself, then that bugs me honestly. Like when people liked boy bands because girls thought they were pretty.

Honestly, your argument has more merit for grunge than anything else I have heard. Sometimes its good to like music just for the sound and nothing more. But when you start applying reasons to like music that aren't truly in the music itself, then that bugs me honestly. Like when people liked boy bands because girls thought they were pretty.

They are pretty damn sexy.

(err... im a guy aren't I?)

Yea i was checking out some Black Eyed Peas:

Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good good night

Yea i was checking out some Black Eyed Peas:

Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good night Tonight's gonna be the good good night

Aw man you know what else? I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma beeI'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma beeI'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma bee I'ma I'ma I'ma bee

now we're talking about good music

The sad part is my cousin would agree with that statement with no italics.

now we're talking about good music

The sad part is my cousin would agree with that statement with no italics.

No, the sad part is that 2/3 of america would agree with that statement with no italics.

I don't think of everything as extremes, but anything grunge tries to get across it fails at. I have never heard any grunge successfully do anything other than try too hard. That's another thing though, as I said grunge is only as emotional as what the listener puts into it. In that regards it fails to stand up on its own merits. I find it too generic to be subtle. And grunge doesn't restrain itself only emotionally, but musically as well. There is only one guitar tone in grunge, one vocal tone, that makes it so generic.

What does grunge even try to do besides be itself? It doesn't want to be anything, it just is.

And what's all of this stuff about grunge being generic? Try finding something outside of grunge that came before grunge, didn't influence grunge and sounds like grunge.

And, yup.

tone. One
. Just because you turned on the radio and heard it cycle through Lithium, Alive and Black Hole Sun consistently doesn't mean you know all of grunge.

I never claimed to know all about grunge, just enough to know that I don't like it. Also, the songwriting is pretty generic as with most rock based music. And out of those songs you put up, I couldn't distinguish them from each other expect for the fact some had slightly faster riffs, or used a string higher than the third. For the most part they were what someone with a guitar and not much inspiration to create captivating or intriguing music would make. I'm not saying no one should like it, but I never will see anything in it other than trying to emulate punks with a semi metal take, and failing to make something that could stand on its own and break away from its influences and take on new ones.

I think everyone should be a little less sensitive when people don't like their favorite kind of music. Especially when they don't make it personal. I had a guy tell me that all my music was girl stuff. It was a completely untrue statement (music doesn't have a gender) but I didn't take it personally.

I think everyone should be a little less sensitive when people don't like their favorite kind of music. Especially when they don't make it personal. I had a guy tell me that all my music was girl stuff. It was a completely untrue statement (music doesn't have a gender) but I didn't take it personally.

^This

However, music is very personal to some people.

It also depends on their knowledge and experience in their creating and playing it.

I have gotten into many an argument with people that say prog rock "doesn't go anywhere" or "is just technical stuff with no emotion" I don't try and change their mind, but I remind them people have reasons for liking it. I do however enjoy a nice debate about music though, as it keeps my listening ear sharp and sometimes gets me into different music (I am starting to give black metal a chance)

DARK SIDE OF THE MOON!!!!
I personally like Wish You Were Here the most. I like the rebellious yet melodic and melancholy nature of Have a Cigar, and Welcome to the Machine. As well as the pure emotion led guitar playing on "Shine On You Crazy Diamond (all parts)"

Animals is my favorite Floyd album, though I have a special place for Dark Side of the Moon, as no album has compared to the joy of discovery I felt the first time I listened to it.

Animals is awesome too! 3 epics on one album, all put together to make a SUPER EPIC!

Heck, I even love Obscured by Clouds, even if some people consider it the black sheep of 70s Pink Floyd

Hey is Genesis a good prog rock band? The prog rock bands I like are : Pink Floyd, King Crimson and Rush.

Yes, check out the albums Foxtrot, The Lamb Dies Down On Broadway, and Nursery Cryme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrJ1EUrJhOQ If you like that song you should check them out.

Also check out Yes's Relayer album, It's my second most favorite prog album ever.

@explodey High Five for WYWH