Double Fine Action Forums

I don't know what to think. Now I'm feeling the time compression as I near the event horizon of my freshman year in college.

Summer Vacation is probably the most useless idea ever now-a-days...it started out as given kid's off school for a couple months to help their families in the farms, but now that no one works on farms anymore, why is it still in action. Now Im not saying no breaks from school, but make it shorter than 2.5 months...kids are already bored after a month away

Ohio hasn't hadn't had rain in two months (we got some two days ago) so you know something is wrong. And I feel you alittle noname, but I really like summer but just seemed like so dull to me this year, HAVE NO IDEA WHY! Just didnt feel like summer to me? God I miss that rush at the last day of school (I didn't even have freaking butterflys in my stomach that day, same thing with x-mas) AHH WHATS WRONG WITH ME!

Summer Vacation is probably the most useless idea ever now-a-days...it started out as given kid's off school for a couple months to help their families in the farms, but now that no one works on farms anymore, why is it still in action. Now Im not saying no breaks from school, but make it shorter than 2.5 months...kids are already bored after a month away
I paid for all my semesters of college so far from working only during the summers. So to me its pretty important.

I paid for all my semesters of college so far from working only during the summers. So to me its pretty important.

alright, here is an exception, I didn't think about college..I was only thinking of kids in elementary, middle, and high school

Its important for highschoolers too, who do you think take most of the crappy summer jobs at the food court?

I work on a farm during the summer. Everyone else should go back to school tomorrow and I should not be required to go back until the farm is done harvesting in October. I also need to paint the house, so I can get some money to last the winter, even in highschool, people need money.

I like the way you think, crazy.

Same here brother. This summer hasn't even had the decency of giving us good thunderstorms and torrential rain. Bring on Autumn.

Same here, I can count the decently large-scale thunderstorms on one hand, which is pretty crazy for the area I live in.

You guys are sick of summer? This truly is the DFAF, you guys are craaaaazy. From a weather stand-point...I see where everyone's coming from, the sun is just too fucking hot. It'd be just peachy if we could start to strike a balance between fall and summer soon. From a "People getting time off" standpoint...it's great.

I actually enjoy the hot weather as much as I do the freezing cold (I do love both). I enjoy school, though, as it occupies me both mentally and socially.

Nope. I'm pretty damn lazy and spend my free time listening to music and contemplating the universe. I have few interests in common with most of my friends, am not compelled to seek a suitable mate and really cannot educate myself in any regard, because I don't learn anything without feedback

The internet is a massive database of information where you can receive feedback. Don't say "I can't." because someone's not holding your hand every step of the way, in fact it's better if you learn on your own because you can more quickly identify the information you want to learn and know how best to learn it. It's kind of like when you study, except it doesn't have to be boring as hell and those side-bars can actually be helpful tutorial videos.

I don't like the internet for education at all. As a tool to supplement your knowledge? Sure, but to actually learn from? It won't happen. Reading on the internet is never the same as regular reading, which I am bad enough at in the first place. At least with a real book, I can motivate myself to read, while on the internet, it is a wall of text surrounded by distractions and distractions within distractions. Internet feedback is essentially worthless. Even if you managed to get some useful advice from the sea of trolls and spammers, it really doesn't help. Internet conversation doesn't move at the same speed as real conversation and lacks the human weight that makes such intellectual discourse worthwhile.

I know I'm being very stubborn about it, but I really dislike the internet for anything aside from musical discovery, information gathering on specified interests and the occasional chat (which is never as fulfilling as it is in real life).

My great grandfather was a bastard of a man. But he did have one pearl of wisdom; "If you ever think you're done learning, then your ignorance proves otherwise."

That's not actually how he put it. But I paraphrased it for decency's sake.

Sign in to follow this