• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
iamthemilkman

Double Fine reveals their first downloadable for XBLA and PSN - Costume Quest

Coming this year!

costume-quest-box-225.jpg

As reported from last month's Develop conference, Double Fine – the San Francisco-based development studio led by Tim Schafer – won't be following up Brütal Legend with Brütal Legend 2. Instead, it's working on four "smaller" games, the first of which has just been revealed. Costume Quest is the first of two games being published by THQ and it's not being designed by Tim Schafer himself.

"The concept is the brainchild of Double Fine lead animator Tasha Harris," 1UP reports. Shafer explains, "we are coming out swinging with two great adventures from two of the most creative minds in the company."

While the game is being published by THQ's KFC business (that's Kids, Family, Casual Games), VP Martin Good says the games' "potential appeal could encompass both hardcore and casual players."

Costume Quest has a Halloween theme and, in what is surely a coincidence, a Halloween release date this year on both Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network. For more information on what kind of game it is (it's isometric!) and to see some screens of the lovely, cel-shaded art, hit up UGO in the Source link below.

via Joystiq

-

This looks like it could be a good time. :)

Boys and girls of every age.

Wouldn't you like to play something strange?

Double Fine wants you to see

this new game on Halloween!

YES YES YES

TOTALLY BUYNG WHEN IT COMES OUT

THERE BETTER BE UNLOCKABLE PSYCHONAUTS AND/OR BRÜTAL LEGEND COSTUMES OR SO HELP ME GOD

CAPSLOCK HNNNNGGGGG

Boys and girls of every age.

Wouldn't you like to play something strange?

Double Fine wants you to see

this new game on Halloween!

Cantido you have one 100 respect points for that 83!

so from what I can tell for this new game

you play as children on halloween night

your sister gets kidnapped by monsters

and the costumes you wear will eventually be able to transform you into real life replicas of said costume

ie knight costume into actual night, unicorn costume into actual unicorn, etc

and you fight monsters in an rpg settings with these costumes

Why does that idea sound so familiar

I know I have heard it before

I have never heard of it before ever

so it's new to me

wait wind are you thinking uhhhh

like Monster House or Scary Godmother?

hmm?

Monster house I think

aww dicks it's gonna have quick time events

also card system

I am reminded of triple triad from FFVI

oh wait these are more like collectable things

not battle cards

OH WELL STILL EXCITING

I'm so excited right now

that I am hungry

brb food

Just wanted to share this from irc 8U

also

http://mimg.ugo.com/201008/55541/cuts/talkingtobob2_480x270.jpeg

WOODY IS THAT YOU SUP

Naysayers are saying Double Fine is hiding the fact that it's actually a Fighting Game/Dating Sim in disguise.

I told them they're away from EA now so no worries about horrible anti-marketing.

Better link that was listed as a source on the Joystiq article. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forums!

Thank you! :D

that picture is giving off a very zelda-y vibe

It kinda reminds me a little bit of this game:

Awaysd.jpg

It also happens to be a Zelda-like game.

OMG, it looks so beautiful. I'm really diggin' the style. Looks even better than I would've imagined from the drawn art.

I really was not expecting something like this at all. I'll still be a day one buyer, but I was hoping they'd stick to the signature style with these games (The writing is still the same, it looks like). Granted, they are working on 4 effing games, and at least one of those will have the scott c styled stuff. So I'm not bummed out or anything, just surprised.

MMM...Please change the look of the characters...PLEASE, I am not liking the look of them.

MMM...Please change the look of the characters...PLEASE, I am not liking the look of them.

I can't argue with that. The characters all have a generic look and those typical anime eyes, which is quite surprising for a Double Fine game.

I felt that Psychonauts and Brutal Legend both had their own unique look.

I can't argue with that. The characters all have a generic look and those typical anime eyes, which is quite surprising for a Double Fine game.

The exact same concept artists that worked on Psychonauts and Brutal Legend worked on Costume Quest. The art style is amazing and you guys are going to love it!

The art design is very much like The Wind Waker. Which is a good thing, also I think the concept could carry this game far especially in the downloadable games market. I hope they have some great RPG elements though, I'm worried it might be too simplified for the non RPG playing crowd, like Final Fantasy 13 was.

The exact same concept artists that worked on Psychonauts and Brutal Legend worked on Costume Quest. The art style is amazing and you guys are going to love it!

They're just thrown by the fact that it's so different from Psychonauts and Brutal Legend.

The more I find out about the game the more I want it. Hopefully the release coincides with halloween. It sounds like they're almost done so who knows.

They're just thrown by the fact that it's so different from Psychonauts and Brutal Legend.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm sure I'll love it once I see all the enemies and how everything animates. Animation is always important in a Double Fine Game.

Eh, not very big on the art style. It looks more like one of those games that they host on the Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon websites, and that's what I thought it was at first when I saw the news article about it.

I'm still going to get the game anyway, though. Besides, all of Tim Schafer and Double Fine's games are good (well, the ones I've played anyway, but I know all of them are good though). I'm gonna feel VERY uncomfortable playing it around others, though.

It reminds me of Earthbound. I love Earthbound.

Seconded.

Earthbound is my favorite game and Halloween is my favorite holiday. It's like they made this game just for me.

I'm still going to get the game anyway, though. Besides, all of Tim Schafer and Double Fine's games are good (well, the ones I've played anyway, but I know all of them are good though). I'm gonna feel VERY uncomfortable playing it around others, though.

Whoa. There are plenty of games to be uncomfortable playing around others and this is not one of them. Actually this whole country has a problem playing games that have too many colors in it. Some people skipped Brutal Legend because it looked cartoony.

I've seen people skip

because all the characters are girls therefore HURR HURR THE GAEM IS FOR PEDOS.

I don't think its about "having to many colors" I think it has to do with some people and their misconception of what maturity is. Games with cartoony graphics can be very mature (look at final fantasy 4, if that game had more realistic models and less comedic relief it could pass for an M rated games story wise) People just think that any game rated either T or E are for children and therefore very childish and silly. I think some people are afraid of some lightheartedness in their video games unless is says Nintendo on the box. These people are wrong.

Valkyria Chronicles had, in my opinion, some of the better art direction of this generation. When I recommended it to my friend who loves strategy RPG's he said it looked to babyish for him. It's a shame that such an opinion is common these days. Never thought people would talk about Double Fine games like that. This is the game I was talking about by the way. You should play it.

I personally think that gamers should be force feed tons of SNES games and games from pre-playstation days. Then we wouldn't have any of these "looks to babyish" people around.

Valkyria Chronicles had, in my opinion, some of the better art direction of this generation. When I recommended it to my friend who loves strategy RPG's he said it looked to babyish for him. It's a shame that such an opinion is common these days. Never thought people would talk about Double Fine games like that. This is the game I was talking about by the way. You should play it.

Oh yes. That game is excellent and is like a turn based Action Strategy game, similar to Brutal Legend, except for the taking turns things.

But of course, Brutal Legend is Real Time, and therefore automatically bad.

Whoa. There are plenty of games to be uncomfortable playing around others and this is not one of them. Actually this whole country has a problem playing games that have too many colors in it. Some people skipped Brutal Legend because it looked cartoony.

I love the cartoonish look of Brutal Legend, and I love the cartoonish look of all the other Tim Schafer games, but I was saying that Costume Quest has that certain look to it that makes it look more like a children's game that would be hosted on the Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon website.

I think the beauty of the design is it's simplicity. Especially when you look at the contrast of the children walking around in their dorky little hand made costumes and the transformation they undergo when they morph into their gigantic battle forms.

I think the art direction and the looks of the characters are great! It looks like its going to give the game a very cozy feel to it, when you walk around the neighbourhood. And I like that.

Go Double Fine! Can't wait for this downloadable :D . And btw, why should anyone feel uncomfortable when play this around friends? I don't see the point... If it's fun to play, then to hell with what others might think..