Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FuKuy

No PC/STEAM love?

So...

Double Fine reveals their first downloadable for XBLA and PSN

Why not release the game on PC (STEAM). A 25 million platform user totally abandoned by Doublefine?!

Come on, release the game on STEAM (even on MAC!!) and you'll see many more sales.

Of course we'd get people to sign up asking about PC releases e_e

It's something for them to consider, yeah, but I can understand why Double Fine wouldn't want to release games on the PC.

One word: Pirating. Even happens with Steam Exclusive games sometimes.

Let them make games for whatever consoles they want. Who knows, maybe one of the other three games they have in processing will be for PC~ :3

If it turns out to be successful it's chances of being on pc will probably rise dramatically.

Of course we'd get people to sign up asking about PC releases e_e

It's something for them to consider, yeah, but I can understand why Double Fine wouldn't want to release games on the PC.

One word: Pirating. Even happens with Steam Exclusive games sometimes.

Let them make games for whatever consoles they want. Who knows, maybe one of the other three games they have in processing will be for PC~ :3

Told Runic Games about Pircay. More than 600.000 copies sold on PC/MAC for Torchlight. A downloadable title with low budget.

The same for ACE Team, their game, Zeno Clash have sold many more on PC than XBLA.

There's also piracy on Xbox 360. So, releasing the game on PC aswell looks like a good decision afterall.

yeah i don't feel like doing it either but i'm annoyed enough by those poor examples to respond

"I don't know whether it was because most people had already played Zeno Clash on PC, or that the console game launched a year later, but we definitely had much stronger sales on PC than on Xbox 360," says Carlos Bordeu.

http://www.destructoid.com/zeno-clash-dev-believes-pc-gamers-are-down-with-weirdness-180192.phtml

important part bolded

Torchlight didn't even have a console version so there's no comparison to be made.

We've all heard that piracy on consoles is much less of a problem than on PCs. I'm lazy, so I trust you are not going to argue that and force me to dig up some sources.

I do have a PS3 but... wait, how do you pay for things over PSN anyway?

Please tell me I don't need to buy points cards or some rubbish like that

Though I agree although I'm PC gamer (I have a PS3 but it's only really got Heavy Rain and Brutal Legend) I must stay

STOP FUCKING WHINING ABOUT GAMES NOT COMING OUT ON PC

It's all your own faults for torrenting everything and now companies are sick of it and your going to have to accept that you've killed your own platform which, if you look back only three years, was the leading platform for awesome game releases.

I would say piracy, but really, it's because consoles just make so much more money that development time gets put into them as opposed to PC versions. Consoles are just the place for a company like Doublefine to make games for right now. No PC release because the PC version literally isn't being worked on right now, or that's my guess. I hope for a PC release eventually as it means more money and the game isn't exactly a console exclusive right now.

It would be nice to have on the computer, considering I'm going to be sharing an Xbox with a roommate soon, but I'll manage, because this game is made by Double Fine, so it is sure to be Extra Fine!

I would say piracy, but really, it's because consoles just make so much more money that development time gets put into them as opposed to PC versions. Consoles are just the place for a company like Doublefine to make games for right now. No PC release because the PC version literally isn't being worked on right now, or that's my guess. I hope for a PC release eventually as it means more money and the game isn't exactly a console exclusive right now.

The reason they don't release game on the PC is in fact piracy, believe me. They make their games using PCs, and they test their games on PCs.

I know they do, but the end product is all in mind. If it was as simple as that, then there would never be a bad PC port. At the end of the day, there are many.

If Double Fine strictly released the game on Steam, Direct2Drive, etc. there would be VERY little issue with piracy.

Their sales would definitely see a boost because of the strong PC fan base surrounding Double Fine and Steam.

Porting the game to PC is the only issue I see standing in the way of having Costume Quest come to the PC, considering the tight time constraints.

Yep, I've pirated Steam games.

I mean, what?? :o

:/ (worked for steam support between high school and college and is somewhat surprised by this)

Bad panda. Anyway, potter, Steam is the DRM. Think about it. You have to have the program to run the games and it keeps track of what games you own and you can't play them otherwise. Its probably the least invasive (or at least the least annoying) DRM out there.

Though lately jerks like ubisoft have been putting their own DRM on top of it.

Piracy is certainly not the issue. People always do the wrong thing and count number of pirated copies instead of number sold copies. Torchlight sold 600k. Nuff said. Even without the Diablo appeal a game like Costume Quest could sell hundres of thousand of copies, if it´s sold at the right price through the right vendors without additional DRM.

But I can understand that they don´t do a PC version for this considering the time frame and the humble budget it has, cause no one of us are that naive that we think a PC version would be free to develop. And if you look at the game, it really looks like a console game.

I own PC, PS3 and XBOX360 so I will buy the game even if I´m primarly a PC gamer, just like I did with Brütal Legend.

Yep, I've pirated Steam games.

I mean, what?? :o

In that case, you're the reason gaming companies like Double Fine go bust. Quit criticizing people who like PC games.

PSP and DS piracy is a lot more prevalent than PC piracy, just because it's a lot more profitable too, and 360 piracy is really bad too. I particularly like the story about Gears of War 2 being the most-pirated game of the year because Cliffy B made such a big deal about piracy on the PC.

Short answer: pirates are not the problem, and they will never go away. 6000 pirated copies of games do NOT equal 6000 lost sales, as those people probably wouldn't have bought the game anyway.

Anyway, my comment from the news post:

"It looks fantastic, but I'm sorry - unless it's literally a few pounds/dollars I won't be getting this if it's not on PC. I don't do digital download titles on console. I'm just too worried the service will just be turned off at the end of this console cycle and I won't be able to access or reinstall my game, whether I still have the console or not. I don't trust Microsoft or Sony to do anything about this worry.

With physical media it's not a problem, but with digital-only it's a real concern - and what about backwards compatibility? What if the next version of Xbox Live for Xbox 720 doesn't support all the old Live games and you have to repurchase them?

Digital on PC though? The PC is ALL about digital now. And you know how much I love Double Fine's games on PC? I own four copies of Psychonauts, and three of those are the PC version. I own one copy of Brutal Legend, and unless it turns up on a certain desktop format that I enjoy it will forever remain one copy. That I have only played once.

Nevertheless, it does sound really cool and exactly the type of game I'd like. Shame I won't get to buy it."

I will never buy a console-only digital title. There's just guarantee about them.

Double Fine are making the right call by not releasing on the PC, as to why it's because its a mixture of market demographics and piracy.

Costume Quest is on some hardcore PC gamers radar simply because it comes from Double Fine but the games "cute" look means it's precisely the kind of game PC gamers pirate because they dont want to spend money on it but do want to play it.

It's also not your typical genre game that is on the PC either and PC gamers will either ignore or pirate games like that which Capcom learned the hard way despite putting out superior PC versions of Devil May Cry 4, Street Fighter 4., res Evil etc.

I've already seen some PC gamer dominated forums dismiss it just on the look alone & only a handful of screen shots have been released, thats the mentality your dealing with. The actual market for this game on the PC would be through people who dont self label themselves as PC gamers by targeting Facebook and the like but I still think keeping it console only is the best way to go.

[Goes back to lurking]

Double Fine are making the right call by not releasing on the PC, as to why it's because its a mixture of market demographics and piracy.

Costume Quest is on some hardcore PC gamers radar simply because it comes from Double Fine but the games "cute" look means it's precisely the kind of game PC gamers pirate because they dont want to spend money on it but do want to play it.

It's also not your typical genre game that is on the PC either and PC gamers will either ignore or pirate games like that which Capcom learned the hard way despite putting out superior PC versions of Devil May Cry 4, Street Fighter 4., res Evil etc.

I've already seen some PC gamer dominated forums dismiss it just on the look alone & only a handful of screen shots have been released, thats the mentality your dealing with. The actual market for this game on the PC would be through people who dont self label themselves as PC gamers by targeting Facebook and the like but I still think keeping it console only is the best way to go.

[Goes back to lurking]

Which forums are you talking about, cause that really seems just silly. Just look at the success Telltale have had with their games, and you will get a solid proof that PC gamers appriciate all kinds of quirky games. Another one is Psychonauts, mention that game for any PC gamer and look at the response you get for that. I recall Tim Schafer talking about the extra sales generated by Steam in a very positive way. I myself is far far away from being a casual PC gamer and I bought the game twice on PC - first by importing it from dvdboxoffice to Sweden before it was available here, and then when it became available on Steam.

And again - when it comes to PC sales - count sold copies, not number of downloads of torrent files.

Capcom failed miserably because they are making typical console games, and almost everytime release them months after the console versions have been released. No such games ever sell well. And on top of that, they have refused to cater to the Steam audience and instead stuck with the failing Games for Windows Live.

[Goes back to lurking]

What?

Okay, for starters - do any of you people crying "wa wa PC gaming is all pirates" actually buys movies or music? You do? Well then, they're two incredibly pirated mediums, yet they still exist and are popular. Why do companies still release them? BECAUSE THEY STILL SELL OF COURSE! Same goes for PC games. Of course you're going to get piracy, on anything, but it's no good blaming it if your game doesn't sell. Brutal Legend springs to mind. Come the Xbox 720/PS4 that game will be dead and unsupported if neither system is backwards-compatible with this generation. If it was out on PC it would be played forever.

Now then, on to your cutesy RPG getting ignored by the PC crowd comments... what? By your argument this should be a Wii-only game! This "hardcore gamer" you speak of... do they exist on consoles too? They do! Wow! Might they not buy the game at all? Oh, maybe the game's not marketed at them. Stop just lumping "PC gamers" with "pirates". Pirates won't buy the game in any event.

I think you'll find that those Capcom games you mentioned were a) released ages late, and b) are console-centric games. Oh, I'm not saying there aren't games which are more natural on consoles, I'm just saying RPGs isn't one of them - the exact opposite in fact.

In fact, forget genre - it's the whole digital download-only thing that I'm protesting. PC gaming is digital gaming. This is just a pure snub by either THQ or Double Fine. And for that, I thank you for your efforts Double Fine - but I'm not buying your game. Simple. Sorry.

And when the next generation rolls around, you won't be playing it or Brutal Legend either, however much you want to. I'll just carry on playing that copy of Day of the Tentacle I bought in 1997 and the three different PC copies of Psychonauts I have instead.

I'm fucking sick of these whiny PC fanboys thinking that Tim Schafer "betrayed" them by not putting his newer games on PC. If you want to play the games, GET A CONSOLE. Simple as that.

Seriously, PC gamers, chill out. You take this way too personally, it's only video games. Plenty of games available on Steam. It's not like you're dying of game drought anytime soon.

Seriously, PC gamers, chill out. You take this way too personally, it's only video games. Plenty of games available on Steam. It's not like you're dying of game drought anytime soon.

You what a forum is good for? Discussions. :)

So I thought one was allowed to reply to comment that you think need commenting - the piracy argument. And I don´t really see the harm in letting Double Fine that there are those who would like a PC versions.

So, chill. :)

Hey, now, let's not make with the sweeping generalizations, shall we? Not all PC gamers are pirates, and hardcore idiot gamer syndrome runs rampant wherever video games are, not just with the PC crowd. (And this is speaking as somebody who hates elitist PC gamers, btw. Can't we all just get along?)

I'm fucking sick of these whiny PC fanboys thinking that Tim Schafer "betrayed" them by not putting his newer games on PC. If you want to play the games, GET A CONSOLE. Simple as that.

Uh, easier said than done, thanks. Not everybody has a couple hundred dollars lying around to buy Xboxes with. Well, I *did*, but I had bills to pay this month.

I'd be very disappointed if this didn't make its way to the PC (or Wii even!) eventually, because it's likely I'll never get a chance to play it (I already had to mooch off of my brother just to play Brutal Legend and he doesn't even have Live) and it looks fantastic. :(

Sign in to follow this