• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
FuKuy

No PC/STEAM love?

Ok, well you do know that most people who game a lot and use their PC as their main console and keep it updated for new games do have a couple hundred dollars in disposable income otherwise they would be at least 2 years behind in gaming sans download games. Also this is a very console centric game, yes its an RPG but its very different from a normal PC RPG. People also keep talking about Psychonauts as pivotal to PC gaming, but you have to remember that it also is a very console centric game, and also if you don't have a gamepad then your screwed for the whole game. The only reason that game sold so well for the PC was that it bombed on consoles because of the publisher not giving it any marketing, and now its spread through recommendations on forums.

Ok, well you do know that most people who game a lot and use their PC as their main console and keep it updated for new games do have a couple hundred dollars in disposable income otherwise they would be at least 2 years behind in gaming sans download games.

I've been using the same computer for four years, actually, but nice try. (Yes, it's painfully obsolete and I'm just now considering replacing it for several reasons beyond just games, but that's besides the point). I was pointing out that it's not feasible for everybody to just go out and GET A CONSOLE OMG.

Also this is a very console centric game, yes its an RPG but its very different from a normal PC RPG.

Wait, what? Have they mentioned anything at all about how the game controls? I thought I'd been keeping up with the news since it was announced all of, what, two days ago? I don't see what makes it "console-centric" at all but I guess I missed something. What exactly is your definiton of a "PC RPG" and a "Console RPG", anyway?

They said it was like an SNES RPG. Last time I checked SNES was a console. Also the difference between console and PC RPGs have been blurring, but to me the difference is console RPG = Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 4, Breath of Fire, Dragon Quest, Earthbound. PC RPGs are like KOTOR (I know it was on xbox but the controls just felt better on the PC) Morrowind, system shock, Fallout 1&2, The Witcher, and Diablo. I do realize people don't want to go out and buy a whole console just for one game. They normally don't put too many linear turn-based RPGs on PCs they are mostly about exploration, and the combat is very different from what I've noticed. I'm not saying it shouldn't come to the PC ever, I just want to see it get popular for consoles and have a pretty good fan base where it seems most profitable. Also I don't want to see about 12 threads about "OH NOES, NO PC GAMEZ I HATE TIM SCHAFER FROM THIS POINT ON" people get way too crazy about console exclusives, I don't go to Sucker Punch's forum and say "why isn't infamous on the 360? You know there is x sales of Assassin's Creed that means people play it a lot" All I am saying is just wait a little bit, I'm sure it will make to steam eventually, especially if it gets popular.

They said it was like an SNES RPG. Last time I checked SNES was a console. Also the difference between console and PC RPGs have been blurring, but to me the difference is console RPG = Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 4, Breath of Fire, Dragon Quest, Earthbound. PC RPGs are like KOTOR (I know it was on xbox but the controls just felt better on the PC) Morrowind, system shock, Fallout 1&2, The Witcher, and Diablo. I do realize people don't want to go out and buy a whole console just for one game. They normally don't put too many linear turn-based RPGs on PCs they are mostly about exploration, and the combat is very different from what I've noticed.

It kind of sounds like you're talking more about the difference between Japanese RPGs (more linear, story-driven) and Western RPGs (more open exploration/choice based). I... don't really see how the genre matters at all in regards to what platform the game is on. Just because there aren't many linear, turned-based RPGs on PCs (I would say vice versa for Western RPGs like Mass Effect or what have you, except that a lot of them are on both consoles and PCs nowadays) doesn't mean there can't EVER be. And just because they said it's inspired by SNES RPGs doesn't mean it's going to be exactly like them.

I'm not saying it shouldn't come to the PC ever, I just want to see it get popular for consoles and have a pretty good fan base where it seems most profitable. Also I don't want to see about 12 threads about "OH NOES, NO PC GAMEZ I HATE TIM SCHAFER FROM THIS POINT ON" people get way too crazy about console exclusives, I don't go to Sucker Punch's forum and say "why isn't infamous on the 360? You know there is x sales of Assassin's Creed that means people play it a lot" All I am saying is just wait a little bit, I'm sure it will make to steam eventually, especially if it gets popular.

I don't really see why it matters what platform it's on at all, but whatever. I don't think anyone's demanding that Double Fine should scrap the Xbox/PS3 versions and only make it for PC, some of us would just like to give Double Fine our money but can't because we don't have those consoles. And what better way to let them know there's interest for a PC version than on their own forum?

although I agree it would be very silly for someone to ask for a PC release while going "RAR I HATE U DOBLE FINE". That wouldn't convince me to do something for them, that's for sure. But that's just basic etiquette. :)

Like I said, it shouldn't be console exclusive. I do however think that it should be on consoles for a little bit first so they can at least get an estimate of the numbers it could generate on the PC. Also Look at the Brutal Legend forum and see how man angry at Doublefine for no PC port threads there are.

I've lurked here before and I've seen plenty of, erhm, less than civil requests for BL PC, yeah. Still, the OP here wasn't rude at all and got a lot of flak just for asking. Yeah, rude people suck but being angry right back doesn't solve anything. Like I said before, can't we all just get along?

I've lurked here before and I've seen plenty of, erhm, less than civil requests for BL PC, yeah. Still, the OP here wasn't rude at all and got a lot of flak just for asking. Yeah, rude people suck but being angry right back doesn't solve anything. Like I said before, can't we all just get along?

YOU SHUT UP.

I'm fucking sick of these whiny PC fanboys thinking that Tim Schafer "betrayed" them

No one honestly cares about what are you sick of.

If you want to play the games, GET A CONSOLE. Simple as that.

Can't see the reason to buy an useless plastic toy when I have a proper gaming PC. Consoles are expensive.

Gaming computers are expensive.

Building a gaming computer is also expensive.

Also, a computer is useful in so many ways that it amortizes itself.

Everyone needs a computer. No one with a decent computer actually needs a console.

Consoles basically are for kids without the knowledge to handle a computer.

Cheap hardware, strong limitations, expensive software. No thanks.

My thoughts on this whole debate and conversation...

02453.gif

Costume Quest isn't for PC. it's been decided and there's nothing we can do. PC games are fun, yeah, but there's plenty of other game systems that are just as good and have games that are just as fun. Not everything needs a Mouse and Keyboard control scheme.

Sorry, but that's how it goes.

Know what? I'm already bored of this thread.

I really don't give a sh1t if you ignorant people think this game isn't suited for PC, cause this can simply mean you just don't know nothing about PC gaming.

There are other people who hope to see this game coming on PC and rightfully ask for it. Live with it or go to whine in a corner.

Not everything needs a Mouse and Keyboard control scheme.

There are controllers on PC too, you know. What a stupid argument.

Also, a computer is useful in so many ways that it amortizes itself.

Everyone needs a computer. No one with a decent computer actually needs a console.

Consoles basically are for kids without the knowledge to handle a computer.

Cheap hardware, strong limitations, expensive software. No thanks.

I completely agree.

Consoles are money vacuums that take advantage of the ADD culture.

No one wants to be bothered to learn HOW a gaming machine works, which is very similar to a console.

Gaming PCs don't have to be expensive if you choose each component carefully and do research on it.

When it comes down to the accessories and slightly more expensive games for consoles, it is about the same when compared to the gaming PC, which has almost unlimited uses and doesn't need a press conference to be updated and expanded.

There is very little excuse for why consoles seem better than PCs.

[i'm done starting fires...]

I'm actually really disappointed by the lack of pc support on Tim's newer titles. If I didn't own a console (I own every system) I would be very very upset. I bought Psychonauts and Brutal Legend the day they came out and really enjoyed both of them. I don't understand why the newer games aren't coming to the pc since I would say the majority of Tim's fan base are probably pc gamers, from back before Psychonauts. I'm just throwing this out there but I can bet that the majority of you console only gamers that are making rude comments towards pc gamers haven't even played any of Tim's classic games like Grim Fandango. The pc piracy thing is rather bogus, S.T.AL.K.E.R. and niche Russian game with zero advertisements sold over 4 million copies. Stardock doesn't even put drm in there games because they know that they will sell well if the game is good, and guess what they do. One of you guys mentioned that this game doesn't fit the "Mature" nature of pc gamers but that is completely false. If anything the ps3 and 360 audience is more focused on generic shootan games from Activision, while niche games have been flourishing on the pc platform. I do really hope this game and future titles by Tim come to the pc.

I would also like to point out that isn't it ironic how the topic with the most replys is the one about the pc.

I would say piracy, but really, it's because consoles just make so much more money that development time gets put into them as opposed to PC versions. Consoles are just the place for a company like Doublefine to make games for right now. No PC release because the PC version literally isn't being worked on right now, or that's my guess. I hope for a PC release eventually as it means more money and the game isn't exactly a console exclusive right now.

No, consoles doesn't make more money than PC.

"Today, PC gaming generates 43% of the total gaming revenue. The next closest platform is the Wii, which generated 24% of the total gaming revenue in 2009. And the PC share is growing – by 2013, the forecast is that PC gaming will represent 56% of the total pie."

Picture21.png

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2010/04/19/hear-that-knocking-sound-its-pc-gaming/

I would say piracy, but really, it's because consoles just make so much more money that development time gets put into them as opposed to PC versions. Consoles are just the place for a company like Doublefine to make games for right now. No PC release because the PC version literally isn't being worked on right now, or that's my guess. I hope for a PC release eventually as it means more money and the game isn't exactly a console exclusive right now.

"Today, PC gaming generates 43% of the total gaming revenue. The next closest platform is the Wii, which generated 24% of the total gaming revenue in 2009. And the PC share is growing – by 2013, the forecast is that PC gaming will represent 56% of the total pie."

Picture21.png

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2010/04/19/hear-that-knocking-sound-its-pc-gaming/

Your chart is calling you a liar.

Picture21.png

Your chart is calling you a liar.

How?

I know, the truth hurts...

Hmm. I think that the chart is set up differently than I thought it was. Maybe it doesn't call you a liar.

As long as it's misleading charts made by the people who look best because of them. Yes, you can.

I wonder if I can post my condescending Klaus Nomi picture in response...

Picture21.png

klaus_nomi.jpg

Yes, yes I can.

I'm ASSUMING the majority of Double Fine Production's game sales comes from North America, where consoles are viewed as superior to PC gaming machines, and where consoles make up the majority of gaming platforms. This would mean that Double Fine Productions focuses on consoles rather than PCs to make the most money.

Again, I don't think Double Fine has enough time to port the game to PC for Steam, considering the several games that are currently in production at the office.

to be honest, some games just play and feel better on consoles. i think this is going to be one of them.

What if you play with the Xbox 360 controller for the PC?

That's the only reason why it would "feel" better on a console.