Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  

What genre will Costume Quest actually be?

The dating sim thing was an actual accusation by some ass.

Since they are separated from EA, and it was EA's idea to market Brutal Legend as horribly as they did, I think genre isn't going to be an issue.

It's already been revealed that it's a SNES style RPG.

Edit: I read the OP. I feel stupid.

Stealth action. Players will have to disguise themselves among a horde of antagonists and fight their way through guards in order to steal the seven multicolored variations of the same item treasures in the kingdom!

Its going to be a GTA-style open sandbox puzzle dating sim mmorpg. You see everyone gets a profile and in order to date that person you have to challenge the to a puzzle duel, Also you get to kill hookers and take their moneys.

I'm still shocked that people think Double Fine screwed 'em with Brutal Legend.

It was known since 2007 that Brutal Legend had a heavy focus on RTS management. I remember the Game Informer cover story quite clearly.

It really wasn't though. They said it would have squad based elements and commands and you'd be starting up a revolt, naturally of course I thought it would still be a very action driven game that wasn't jam-packed with strategy. I do adore the game...but it was a bit of a surprise. The demo doesn't do a good job of indicating it's going to have RTS elements either. Only briefly in the trailer does it show off some of those things.

I think Tim Schafer is waiting a time before he calls out EA on the marketing of Brutal Legend. He's already called them out on their refusal to post the game patches more than once. I'm just waiting for him to say "they hid the part I worked on for 4.5 years and marketed the part they wouldn't let me complete."

Tim Schafer introduced the multiplayer two months before release, and those two people who saw the videos, their impression of the game was that it was an awesome multiplayer experience. Everyone else went by the demo.

I'm playing Monday Night Combat now, and it's basically Brutal-Legend-With-Guns. The demo is multiplayer ready, and gives you a five minute tutorial that teaches EVERYTHING needed to play online, and then you can play online. If EA had let Double Fine show off the Stage Battles, instead of follow in Vivendi's "don't mention R T and S in the same sentence" strategy, things would have been so much different, people could have experimented online, provided input and Double Fine would be a much bigger success.

After all, when Double Fine introduced the game to Vivendi and EA, they both got a fully working Stage Battle demo. Didn't players deserve the same treatment?

15 million in ads, and nothing on the single player. Bravo.

I think Tim Schafer is waiting a time before he calls out EA on the marketing of Brutal Legend. He's already called them out on their refusal to post the game patches more than once. I'm just waiting for him to say "they hid the part I worked on for 4.5 years and marketed the part they wouldn't let me complete."

Tim Schafer introduced the multiplayer two months before release, and those two people who saw the videos, their impression of the game was that it was an awesome multiplayer experience. Everyone else went by the demo.

I'm playing Monday Night Combat now, and it's basically Brutal-Legend-With-Guns. The demo is multiplayer ready, and gives you a five minute tutorial that teaches EVERYTHING needed to play online, and then you can play online. If EA had let Double Fine show off the Stage Battles, instead of follow in Vivendi's "don't mention R T and S in the same sentence" strategy, things would have been so much different, people could have experimented online, provided input and Double Fine would be a much bigger success.

After all, when Double Fine introduced the game to Vivendi and EA, they both got a fully working Stage Battle demo. Didn't players deserve the same treatment?

15 million in ads, and nothing on the single player. Bravo.

every time you make a big post about how the advertising was the reason Brutal Legend didn't sell i am going to kill a kitten

Yeah, the advertising for Brutal Legend was actually pretty good. I could understand making the case you are making for Psychonauts, but for Brutal Legend I don't really feel like it holds water.

every time you make a big post about how the advertising was the reason Brutal Legend didn't sell i am going to kill a kitten

Actually, that's the reason for the HATE.

Lots of advertising is not the same thing as good advertising.

The reason it didn't sell is because: Some people won't play anything that has too many colors in it. Sales were slow and steady for a long time. They never dropped off the face of the earth because LOL RTS.

Yup. That probably would have paid for the multiplayer demo. And the Fleetus faction. And the other half of the story they had to gut...

The reason it didn't sell well is because of mainstream people's inability to appreciate awesome music and instead listen to pop charts and over produced rap and whatnot. This is a game about metal, metal is for nerds. Therefore the mainstream hates it.

Yup. That probably would have paid for the multiplayer demo. And the Fleetus faction. And the other half of the story they had to gut...

They spent four years to make the game as it was released. That content was cut for time.

They spent four years to make the game as it was released. That content was cut for time.

Yes, they spent four years on the multiplayer and 1.5 on the single player. The MP was the whole point. EA marketed the single player, while Double Fine did their best to show off the multiplayer.

Yes, they spent four years on the multiplayer and 1.5 on the single player. The MP was the whole point. EA marketed the single player, while Double Fine did their best to show off the multiplayer.

The reason EA did this is because when most people see Tim's name on a box the last thing they think of is multiplayer.

The reason EA did this is because when most people see Tim's name on a box the last thing they think of is multiplayer.

All the more reason they should have said "Tim Schafer's First Multiplayer" and allow "Tim Schafer's First Multiplayer Demo."

Sign in to follow this