Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TanklessThirst

Reporting disconnecters

Fine, bro. But remember, it doesn't stop me from having that opinion.

it doesn't stop me from having that opinion.

You mean BS

I like how you counter everything I say by being rude.

Keep it up then. It'll be the only thing that gets you through life. Embrace it. Command it! CONQUER IT!!

I can understand why double fine don't want names of disconnecters posted without proof.

There has been some hysteria on the internet this week about a girl who threw some puppies in a river.

2 girls from differnent countries have had their names addresses and phone numbers posted online and both have recieved a huge amount of hate mail. They can't both have done it.

I'm glad that double fine are making an effort to avoid this type of cyberbullying.

However,

in the case of brutal legend, disconnecting is a form of cheating. They are sabotaging another persons stats and wasting their time while ruining their enjoyment of the game. Naming and shaming them seems like the most effective way to stop this.

If you have added the person as a friend it is possible to check if you have both lost connection by accident or if one person has dc'ed (on psn you can idk about xbox) I'd like to suggest that those players who have the facility to film their games film this checking process as proof of disconnecting and post the videos online and add the links to this forum. If the admin object to this compromise please suggest an alternative action we can take.

Disconnecting is killing Brutal Legend.

Most games and sports have a governing body which takes action against cheating.

On a smaller more casual scale people govern their own games to prevent cheating.

In many cases this is done by some form of naming and shaming.

Think about a small game of basketball or soccer where someone takes a dive and cries foul. If you were to witness this you might say "bull shit, you're faking" and hopefully they would be embarrassed into getting up and playing the game properly.

If you were playing scrabble and someone made up a word for a higher score you would challenge them.

You can apply this to almost any competitive game or sport and while it never stops cheating completely alot of the time people are shamed into playing fair.

If anyone thinks that this concept should not be applied to online games please suggest an alternative.

True, but this is the internet. Everyone has a veil of anonymity, which is like a second, impenetrable skin. People aren't going to be embarrassed enough to just stop doing what they're doing.

And this whole naming and shaming business isn't going to work either because

1) As mikey pointed out before he got banned, he told people he was putting their names on a list and they just laughed it off. They obviously don't care enough

2) Like DF said, you can't really prove anything. Example; someone dc'd on you, you put their name up and the community's hatred is then directed at them. But what if it was actually the annoying younger sibling or douchebag roommate of the person? You would have no way of proving that.

You guys aren't going to achieve anything on your own. If you really want to make a difference, just keep spamming EA or whoever is in charge of BL's online aspects and complain to them. Eventually when enough people complain, they'll see it as a problem worth fixing. DF has said this themselves, complaining here isn't going to get you anywhere since this is totally out of their hands.

I thank you for your mature and thought out response.

I think your first point about people not caring is a generalisation. Nobody on psn knows who I am or what I do for a living but under my psn id I have built a reputation as a good sportsman. My connection sucks at peak times and I have been embarrassed when it has been lost during a game I was losing. I have always explained the situation and gave kudos to the other player even though I cannot change their stats. While I accept that not everyone cares about their online reputation, you must accept that some people do.

Your second point brings up something I hadn't really considered; using someone elses account. I think people should take more care protecting their online identity and need to take some responsibility for this sort of thing. If someone were to send offensive messages with your account you would do something about it. Same rules apply.

Finally I would like to add that I would never encourage directing hatred towards anyone. I just think that if someone can prove that another psn id is not playing fair they should be allowed to post that proof online (regardless of who was using the account) and it is up to the account holder to change their ways, offer an explanation or ignore it and keep cheating. We are not expecting DF to do anything about this. Here just seems like the appropriate place to name and shame.

the funny thing is everyone who want to post their own opinion never played orginalusername that mame guy and the other one are just here so you can respond badly to them. just leave them be and post what you want about dcers and on PS3 it is bad from the fact that you both get a loss.

Why not instead of coming here and making enemies out of everyone that posts an opinion different from your's, you actually take some of this advice and go complain to the big guy in charge? That's what DF's been saying for the longest time, absolutely nothing is going to change if you just keep sitting here or on the Xbox or PS3 forums crying about someone dc'ing on you.

And while we're on the topic, did you ever consider you're being trolled by the people dc'ing on you? Of course you have, since merely disagreeing with you makes you think that person is a troll. Okay, so the point is you can probably report them for that. Trolling/griefing/whatever you call it is usually a punishable offense. Reporting something as trolling/griefing is probably the best way you're going to get EA/whoever is in charge's attention and have something done about it.

Now on the other side of the story, and if I'm right and you guys ARE getting trolled, then it's probably because you guys take your ranks way too flipping seriously. Going around saying "Goddamnit, I'm THE BEST" like mikey does is troll bait. Anyone can troll you, and with the knowledge that dc'ing gives you a loss and ultimately brings your rank down, alot of people are going to take this oppurtunity to do that and score a golden rage reaction from you. And you guys going around telling people to suck dick or whatever is only going to fuel that even further. Long story short, if someone does dc on you, go on with life and don't send them angry messages because then you'll be marked as the best person to troll and probably will get trolled

And if you think someone deserves all the angry messages you can write because they dc'd on you, then you probably deserve what's coming next

Perhaps if you come across a certain person atleast at a minimum of three times and they disconnect each time, THEN you can slap their name on a list and act all pissy about them.

Perhaps if you come across a certain person atleast at a minimum of three times and they disconnect each time, THEN you can slap their name on a list and act all pissy about them.

Mikey made a list of people who did it everytime and df and orginal up there got it pulled. it's also not that we take it to seriously it's when we work very hard to get that rank and some noob who say's let me not get a loss and mess up both are ranks while doing so. disconnecting was a problem on MW2 too and I think two weeks after the game came out so did the patch to stop that brutal legend has been out for a year and all we got were maps, face melter pushed up to teir two same as call of the wild, and a debuff for firebarons which did not need it. final I know you played the game and it makes the game less fun when you think you are going to play a pro with a rank of 1800 and 12 losses then you see sorry you have lost connection with the other player -_-.

No, bro. Double Fine QA guy already said they don't want to see any lists of any names anywhere here

The reason is I could put you on the list even if I never played against you. Who's to prove you did or didn't and that's why these lists don't work. If a person DC's against you leave them bad feedback and make them an avoided player.