Sign in to follow this  
Calavera

Heavy metal ?

I love what Tim does. But his games are not suitable for everybody; just like the Tiger Lillies is not a music for everyone. You don't have to define its style, it's just the Tiger Lillies. Heavy metal on the other hand... The thing with heavy metal is that it's just dumb and stupid. Motorhead, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden are not just retarded and lacking in ideas from musical point of view; if they were doing this at home, it's OK, but they are deceiving their listeners. They are offering something very poor, and the listeners are encouraging them by not knowing how much richer it could be. Richer taste, richer flavour, richer and deeper feeling. If we are talking about the sound of electric guitar, which is undoubtedly a very powerful thing in music, we have fine examples of its genius use- with Led Zeppelin being on the first place. And if you are really into this sound, King Crimson are indescribable.

I understand that this kind of sound is in the spirit of the game, like in Full Thorottle. (And how nice is Grim Fandango's soundtrack!) But to just throw in some heavy metal folks' songs who can only do so much... It's like saying that you enjoy games and when they ask you what do you play, your reply is, Fifa 5789 and EA Basketball something and Counter-Strike. It's like playing games just because they are games and you like to play games, not trying to differentiate one game from the other, to find the better games, more imaginative games, or the kind that you know are really very special and close to you.

I know that this game is going to be special and unique. I know that the elements that make a Tim game so incredible will be there. Even the stupidness of the soundtrack might be used in favour of the fun. But I am worried about this seriousness in the atmosphere, this coolnes that needs the serious feeling in order to work ( it's present in Psychonauts and Grim and all the others).

It will undoubtedly be remarkable, but can it be solid enough with the weakness of heavy metal to support it? The distincitive and wonderfull characters that this game will have will be bathing in this thing, they will be born from it, which will make me compassionate. And if the soundtrack is guitars-only, it's not that terrible. But hearing those metal folks making this vibrato with their voices... I hope DF won't forget to put the music off function in the game.

It must be brutal, yes, but what if it's beautifully brutal and not stupidly brutal?

And that's science!

*pyrotechnics*

But yes, some people actually like Heavy Metal. I'm one of those people. I mean, I don't deserve to be called a metalhead or anything like that (That's still the word the cool kids use, right?), but I like the music. Still, this game will be about the spirit of Heavy Metal, which is awesome enough as it is. Even if I hated heavy metal, I'd have bought this game. Luckily, I don't hate it.

*guitar solo*

So, yes, I don't quite get what you're trying to say. You don't like Heavy Metal. That's fine. Double Fine's making a Heavy Metal game. Don't buy it? Have I solved your problem?

\oo/

do not shun the metal, lest ye by the metal be shunned. If Tim Schafer went for mass appeal rather than following his inspiration, then he would cease to be the awesonest guy ever.

I am not a heavy metal fan; I'd much rather listen to Nick Cave or something like that. However, I don't think it would be possible to make nearly as good a game based on King Crimson, Led Zeppelin or whatever style music. The thing is that the imaginary in heavy metal is a lot more visual than in many other styles of music: Everyone who has ever seen a metal album cover, watched a music video, or heard a heavy metal song can name at least a couple things that belong to heavy metal world. Creating a world based on some other genre of music would be a lot harder, and people would probably argue endlessly whether something essential is missing or something is completely wrong.

I'm not completely sure what you mean by making the game beautifully brutal instead of stupidly brutal. But if you mean changing the music to something else, it would mean changing the entire game. Perhaps, cancelling the whole project. It's like removing the motorcycles from Full Throttle because someone thinks they are stupid and replacing them with bicycles or something. The game would be pointless. Modifying the game wouldn't work either, unless you are willing to settle for something really artificial.

I really dislike heavy metal (especially late 70s and 80s stuff), but I think it'll make a really interesting and unique setting for a game and I'm really looking forward to Brütal Legend. Hopefully in the end, dumb and stupid heavy metal won't be such a big issue for you either, and you can enjoy the game.

You know how it is: When bowing to someone, you are always showing your butt to someone else. That is to say, you simply can't please everybody.

What the hell is Tiger Lillies? Wasn't that the Indian princess in Peter Pan?
tiger lillies is actually a brutal death metal band.

Oh, but then why did that person pose it as being the direct opposite of metal?
i was being sarcastic lol! i guess he likes fairy songs.

There's people who listen to music and love it, and there's people that listen too much INTO the music and hate it. I can't stand it when people say that bands are purposely deceiving their audiences when they probably were just having fun making music.

If you focus too much on the technical side of music, pointing out all the things that are wrong with it, you lose sight of the purpose of the music, which is to be enjoyed. Corny as it sounds, music is the language of the soul, it can transform you and take you places. Heavy metal happens to take you to the depths of hell and back, spitting flames all the way. Either you can hop on and go for a ride or you can sit and complain about how there's not enough loop-de-loops on the roller coaster. Your choice.

(Also, calling heavy metal dumb and stupid makes you sound dumb and stupid. S'truth.)

(Also-also, the Tiger Lillies are creepy. o_O)

You've could've just said that you don't like metal, saving us a lot of time and effort.

is that what he said? i thought the paragraph was a recipe for jalapeno pie...

It's the "epic" culture of heavy metal that makes it good material for a freaking awesome game as well, the music is just a part of it!

It's the "epic" culture of heavy metal that makes it good material for a freaking awesome game as well, the music is just a part of it!

exactly!!! do you think we will see duke nukem? lol

Don't like metal?

Well, here's a step-by-step guide on what to do to make your experience with Brütal Legend:

1. Go to your local game store.

2. Buy as many copies of "Brütal Legend" as you can afford.

3. Take your copy of "Brütal Legend" home and pop it in whatever game system you purchased it for. (f you do not have the required system, caress the disc slowly and with love. Skip to step 5.)

4. Power on your system.

5. Let someone who understands the POWER OF METAL play.

6. Kill yourself.

I have to say that I'm not a big heavy metal fan, but I think that what I've seen so far could appeal to non-metal fans and the fanatics of the genre. I mean, who resist nuns from hell? I'm pretty sure the game will be eloquently written, and hilarious, just like all the other games Tim has worked. I'm sure it will feature amazing art design, as the character designs and art design look like they're Scott Campbell.

Just because the game looks extremely different when compared Double Fine's last game, and the previous games Tim has worked on, does not mean that it will be bad.

I have a lot of faith in this game and I seriously doubt not liking heavy metal will detract from the experience.

You've could've just said that you don't like metal, saving us a lot of time and effort.

is that what he said? i thought the paragraph was a recipe for jalapeno pie...

Oh, wait, no, you're right. My bad.

I have to say that I'm not a big heavy metal fan, but I think that what I've seen so far could appeal to non-metal fans and the fanatics of the genre. I mean, who resist nuns from hell? I'm pretty sure the game will be eloquently written, and hilarious, just like all the other games Tim has worked. I'm sure it will feature amazing art design, as the character designs and art design look like they're Scott Campbell.

Just because the game looks extremely different when compared Double Fine's last game, and the previous games Tim has worked on, does not mean that it will be bad.

I have a lot of faith in this game and I seriously doubt not liking heavy metal will detract from the experience.

Yah cause honestly people these days just want to kill stuff.

I love you but hate walls of text :D

I... I Have to say that i'm a BIG metal fan :) . I'm sure that i will be great... or, the greatest..!

But even me, a fan of metal, hopes that the soundtrack will not be entirely metal.

BUT ALL THE ACTION SHOULD BE DONE WITH HEAVY METAL SOUNDTRACKS 8D ! ! !

I enjoy plenty of metal. Although most of my most favourite albums definitely wouldn't be categorised as metal, I like it enough that the idea of a game full of metal music and myth isn't a massive turn-off. In all of this Brütal Legend excitement I've revisited a few things I usually ignore. Today I listened to The Dio Years, which is like a recent best of the few albums Ronnie James Dio did with Black Sabbath in the 80s. It has The Mob Rules, which is the awesome song on the trailer.

*the big wall of text*
I guess you could always turn of the sound if you dislike metal so much, and maybe tune up some great classic music instead.

... Even though that would be quite weird. :coolhmm:

Oh, and by the way...

(00.27 - 00.28)

i dont even think it matters if people complain about the music. it dosent mean there going to take it out.

As a Christen boy growing up I was never allowed to listen to the often demonic inspired motifs that were so much a part of the Metal experience. Therefore I have never grown a liking for its loud overbearing sound. I am not a fan and I even gave up on the long anticipated GHIII Because of the 85% or thereabout Metal soundtrack.

But I see this game and I don't see a music genre that I don't understand and frankly fear. I see the opportunity for awesomeness. The chance to cut through hordes of demon enemies and free humanity using Metal culture inspired weapons and units does not throw me off. Rather it attracts me with its alienness. I want to play this game even more for its violent ways and Metal soundtrack merely for the sake of trying something new.

I applaud Tim for doing his own thing with the game. and having waited for concrete news on the game since I finished Pychonauts for the first time 2 years ago. I will accept this game with open arms no matter what its form is.

As a Christen boy growing up I was never allowed to listen to the often demonic inspired motifs that were so much a part of the Metal experience. Therefore I have never grown a liking for its loud overbearing sound. I am not a fan and I even gave up on the long anticipated GHIII Because of the 85% or thereabout Metal soundtrack.

But I see this game and I don't see a music genre that I don't understand and frankly fear. I see the opportunity for awesomeness. The chance to cut through hordes of demon enemies and free humanity using Metal culture inspired weapons and units does not throw me off. Rather it attracts me with its alienness. I want to play this game even more for its violent ways and Metal soundtrack merely for the sake of trying something new.

I applaud Tim for doing his own thing with the game. and having waited for concrete news on the game since I finished Pychonauts for the first time 2 years ago. I will accept this game with open arms no matter what its form is.

Satan wins!

Reply to the OP:

Your favorite band sucks. You should like my favorite band because, obviously, there is no such thing as people REALLY having different tastes; so you should clearly change your misguided ways and convert to favoring my superior favorite band, since your favorite band sucks so much and doesn't understand music at all.

Or we could just accept the possibility that we all have different tastes and that no one person's opinion on what constitutes "real music" can be taken as a standard for judging all music from any genre.

Anyone can make fun of any artists they don't like (or their fans). I completely support that right as long as it only expresses a difference of opinion, however passionately. But I don't like it when people say, "My music is real music, and yours is inferior" as if their own music is somehow better by nature. That's just being egocentric.

Apologies if that's not what you meant, but that's kind of how it sounded in that opening chunk.

I don't exactly mean for this to sound mean-spirited, but everyone is entitled to have their own taste in music. Just let them like what they like without all the pontificating about what "real music" is.

As for the later comments about the seriousness of metal ruining the game, I highly doubt it. From what I've read and seen so far, and judging by the voice actor for the game's protagonist, I don't think seriousness is going to be a problem. Have you ever seen Tenacious D's Pick of Destiny? Okay, well take that movie and Schaferize it. I don't think the point of the game is to take metal seriously. I think the point of the game is to appreciate metal fads in a completely UNserious way. It's more about exaggerating the themes of metal to the point of ridiculous hyperbole. Add in some fanservice inside jokes. A little Shaferesque dialogue, and you've got a completely metal but completely entertaining game. Have you ever seen the scene from Monty Python's Life of Brian where they sing "Always look on the bright side of life" while being crucified? You should worry about Tim taking the seriousness of metal too seriously like you should worry about Monty Python taking the seriousness of crucification too seriously.

I mean, just look at the size of the necks on the headbangers! It's silly already!

I'd wager my brother's life savings that there's nothing to worry about.

A more general note:

I really hope it works out so that DF can program the soundtrack to be dynamic so that it changes to fit the pace of the game. When Tim mentioned it in the interview, I immediately crossed my fingers. That would be so amazing... it would give the game a more epic/cinematic kind of spirit.

I really, really don't like metal music, but I am still most definitely giving the game a try.

Tim Shafer can do no wrong and we all know it.