Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
distortedjew

i dont know what to do for my future.

I am a sophomore in high school and I'm not sure what to do for college. recently i realized i would like to make video games, but i don't know were to start. at first i thought i would just make concept art for games, creating characters and landscapes that bring games to life. but i discovered that i would also like to take part in the story of the game and the characters and designing game-play. i want to create an entire experience for others to enjoy not just a small piece of one like, how Tim Schafer imagines these amazing games and makes them a reality. but i have no idea what direction i should take in high school, or what to do in college to get to a place like that. so what i want to know is does anyone know how Tim Schafer got there? I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for this. i have absolutely no idea were to find help. anything is appreciated.

here are the best tips anyone can give you:

1. stop thinking so far ahead

2. focus on doing well in school and your current pursuits

from his wikipedia page, Tim went to Berkeley and got a degree in computer science. this lead to a job as a programmer and progressed from there. you mentioned you were interested in becoming a concept artist, so that might not be the path for you. don't try to emulate it if it doesn't feel right.

You're not going to be able to just jump in and be able to directing entire games. You just aren't.

Tim got his start writing games. I would suggest starting there and working your way up to director. Aim for small companies that are just starting to grow (eg. Twisted Pixel, where I plan on working soon). You can get there, just don't expect it to be easy.

1. stop thinking so far ahead

this is terrible advice ^^

Shut up and go fail some 8th grade health classes. I'm not saying he shouldn't think about what he might want to do for a career, just that he shouldn't be worrying about how to become a video game director right now. (Because he can't just jump in and do that, like you said.)

worry about:

1. where you are going to college and what you are personally interested in studying (not what major you think is most likely to lead to that director position)

2. if your interest in video game development persists, finding an internship or summer job that will give you some experience with the industry

3. getting an entry level position at a video game company (programmer? artist? writer?)

Shut up and go fail some 8th grade health classes. I'm not saying he shouldn't think about what he might want to do for a career, just that he shouldn't be worrying about how to become a video game director right now. (Because he can't just jump in and do that, like you said.)

worry about:

1. where you are going to college and what you are personally interested in studying (not what major you think is most likely to lead to that director position)

2. if your interest in video game development persists, finding an internship or summer job that will give you some experience with the industry

3. getting an entry level position at a video game company (programmer? artist? writer?)

chill out.

You worded it in a way that made it seem like that is what you meant.

worry about:

chill out.

You worded it in a way that made it seem like that is what you meant.

if you had read my whole post, you would have noticed that i mentioned Tim's (career) path, first job and college choice. are you saying in that context it still seems like i'm telling him to not think about possible careers?

thanks for all of the help you guys. this was really helpful! i know that i cant just start out directing games but to start at the bottom. what i want to know is are concept artists for games full time?

thanks for all of the help you guys. this was really helpful! i know that i cant just start out directing games but to start at the bottom. what i want to know is are concept artists for games full time?

It really depends. You could just work on one game, or you could be an art director for a handful.

Yes, there are full time positions for concept artists. However, I imagine there are a lot more people who want those jobs than there are actual jobs. You'll have to develop a solid portfolio of artwork (going to a good art school might help with that), and you'll have to work hard.

Here are some questions you should ask yourself:

Do you draw/paint/whatever every day? Do you do it just because you enjoy it and not because anyone's telling you to?

research>study> take opinion and last come to conclusion which is good and bad.choose the thing which u like it after doing the 4 steps.

Sign in to follow this