Double Fine Action Forums

eh games games games. feh. I'll reserve my amazement for when someone invents a working holodeck.

wat.

The holodeck will be humanity's last invention. Nobody will ever want to do anything but sit in the holodeck, see.

The holodeck will be humanity's last invention. Nobody will ever want to do anything but sit in the holodeck, see.

I see the holodeck creating a fork in the human evolutionary path, both in traditional terms but also in terms of culture and society. The upper class will obviously be the first to be able to afford the simulators which will be very expensive early on. And due to this early adoption they'll be the first to cease being productive members of society, eventually they'll spend the entirety of their lives inside the simulations and once the technology is advanced enough to allow for true AI they'll just recreate themselves (Caprica style!) inside the holodeck and become immortal, gods of the simulated world.

Meanwhile the lower class will become the labor force that keeps the machines running and improving the technology, earning hours to spend inside the holodeck as their pay. They will be seen as lesser beings to their holographic masters.

This will go on until one of two things happens: Bloodless but none the less murderous revolution when one of the workers realizes that they can end the tyrannical reign of the holo gods by simply turning off the machines they need to exist. Or a major global disaster such as an asteroid wipes out holographic society.

What if it's already been invented?

Sign in to follow this