• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
trazheart

Costume Quest Text Speed

Hello I picked up Costume Quest the other day on PSN and could not wait to start playing.

There is one problem I keep having though.

The first time is in the intro.

Some of the speech bubbles are just too fast by a second or two.

Now mind you I am not a slow reader but I do like to ponder a sentence for a second before reading more.

I hope you all are able to and do patch in the ability to slow down the text speed or make it so all text bubbles have the Press X for more option.

Thanks and may the Threepwood be with you.

i haven't played the game yet, but is it only in cutscenes that it does this? if they are at all cinematic pausing would mess up the pacing.

I totally agree. This makes no sense. It seems like the ones that you have to press x to skip are the shortest ones!

I am also having a hard time keeping up with the automated talk bubbles. Please patch this to allow us to either slow down the text speed -- or modify so the user can push a button to proceed to the next talk bubble.

This is going to be a big issues with non-gamers and younger people.

Yeah, I want time to actually enjoy the writing. As it is, I can hardly keep up. Annoying as heck.

I find this extremely annoying as well, Kinda ruins the cut scenes for me. Hopefully a patch can fix it.

Dead rising had a similar issue with text size but said they couldn't patch it as they would have to replace a large amount of content.

Yeah, I'm suprised there wasn't a text speed option or at least able to press x/a after every bubble. Even with a big screen TV, the text is rather small. =S

Tasha said something like that would require rewriting of all the little cutscenes.

Are they all speed readers? I can read the stuff but I have to do so in a way that I can't enjoy it.

I read quickly, so I had no problem with it at all. However, I do have some friends who are slow readers, and they might have problems with this sort of thing. While it would be a nice option to have, it's not vital and I don't expect them to change it.

I can read somewhat fast but like to read pretty slow. I tend to take my time. It's frustrating to be forced into reading at a fast pace. I end up missing the jokes cause I'm already on the next one.

I just made an account just to ask for a press a button to move on option. I am Dyslectic and so as a kid used to have my folks read games to me like the first Monkey Island and the like, when i got older speech came in and while I can see why for a small release like this speech is not an option a press a button to move on would be great, I happy read text in most games and find the extra time it takes me means I remember the cool jokes for longer, but with no option to even set a speed when trying the demo of this game I ended up reading no more than the first few words of each line before they where gone. I loved all the other games you have made and was sure I would buy this one too but alas the writing was one of the big things I loved in Grim Fandango and Brutal Legend et al and if I can not enjoy it I do not think I will be playing this game. Please let me buy you cool game and put in an option if the programming is not too hard.

I will definitley postpone buying the game until text speed is fixed. I hope they are working on it. I mean it is crazy to even think that a 10 year old kid who is not a native speaker could read this fast.

I love this game completely except for the speed of the text. I understand that these are cut scenes, but unless you're going to voice them, don't make them so fast. Not everyone is a speed reader.

And you have lost customers as I've suggested this to several friends, but after playing the demo, they said they wouldn't buy it because the text is too fast. They can't enjoy it as much if they can't understand the story.

So if you can't fix it for this game, please change it for the next game you make.

Thanks!

hey everyone,

we hear everyone's feedback on the text issue and are sorry about any problems this has caused in terms of peoples' enjoyment of the game! with these small budget, small development cycle projects, feedback & changes always need to be prioritized and a lot of factors need to be taken into consideration when making design decisions. But please rest assured we are working on a solution. :)

hey everyone,

we hear everyone's feedback on the text issue and are sorry about any problems this has caused in terms of peoples' enjoyment of the game! with these small budget, small development cycle projects, feedback & changes always need to be prioritized and a lot of factors need to be taken into consideration when making design decisions. But please rest assured we are working on a solution. :)

Thank you Tasha for responding and thank you Double Fine Team for listening.

I have held off playing for hope it would be changed and now can't wait for the day it changes.

Thank you again.

I'm guessing this never got addressed. I recently got the game through PSPlus and started playing it with my kids. My youngest cannot read so I need to read all the text aloud. The speed at which it progresses makes this difficult, if not impossible.

It doesn't make the game unplayable. Just less enjoyable.

I can understand why the testers wouldn't flag this as an issue. They probably were tired of sitting through the same cut scenes all the time.

(I'm glad Jacob brought up his dyslexia. As a game designer myself I'll definitely pay more attention to this topic as I work on my own projects.)

you can pause cutscenes now i think

I don't see it in the options screen. Anyone know if it's possible?

It is. It's the X button on a 360 controller. Square on PS3. On PC, I think it's the same key you have pail bash bound to, but it should be easy to figure out by trying.

Quick update that the kids and I just finished the DLC for the game tonight. They loved the game a ton and wanted more. We may be doing a second play through at some point, but I'm also hoping for more DLC :)

Thanks for the pause tip. It worked a treat and helped make the game more enjoyable for everyone.

Glad that you had such a positive experience! Cutscene pause definitely helps a lot for those reading the game aloud to youngsters.

On 11/2/2010 at 10:35 PM, Tasha said:

hey everyone,

It's been almost 8 years since your post and I just bought the game to play with my 7 year old daughter.  The text is still too fast.  I'm on a PC and tried all of the keys. SHIFT was the only key to do anything and it did the opposite of what I wanted.  It canceled the text.

Does anyone know if there's a solution for PC yet?

Thanks in advance. :)

Hi Gooch, might be a good idea to also email support@doublefine.com to see if they have a solution.