• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
grits

Saving is broken...are you kidding me?

Why is there no option to save? The auto-save is so broken. It's really easy to loose a bunch of progress because you don't know when the damn game decides to save. Did they test this game?

Yes, the game was tested by Sony, Microsoft, THQ, and Double Fine. The game saves your state when you either start or finish a quest. There are huge amount of quests and many can be completed very easily. There is no on the fly save.

I'm guessing that as it's a smaller title, and it has so many different events that trigger a save, that it probably won't be an issue. I'll be buying it as soon as I get home from work.

There's an actual 'professional' review by game informer where the reviewer says he lost 45 minutes of play due to the auto save. Explain away that. Not everyone goes quest to quest. It would be nice to be able to play at my own pace and not have to work the games broken system when I want to quit.

Here is the quote:

'In one case, I lost about 45 minutes of progress because I quit after fighting a bunch of battles that didn’t trigger a save event (and I even leveled up during that time!).'

You would think it would save after major events...say leveling up, winning a battle, winning a mini-game?

Lets not just stop at that. As much as I am LOVING this game, it's missing key parts like the fast word bubbles, really, I had no idea what the 2 crows where talking about after you finished the mall. All I know is that one of them likes to yell the last word they say.

Also no music, where is the music!? It starts up for a second and is gone! it just makes things feel more boring.

And then there is fighting... It's amazing, up to the point where I don't really see the point of having one costume for combat to the next. The stuff they have in the journal doesn't really help that much. From what I've been playing, the whole magic/ranged/melee attacks that each costume guy has is pointless, and the sections for your states seems even more pointless. Why can I not see my base stat? And how do I know that it's a better idea to give one person the extra attack or the better HP? I got really confused on that and like I said, it seems that everyone pretty much does the same thing, only with a different animation and button press.

But that's just 4 things so far, and for the most part (and from everything I know about how to make video games) it is very fixable. I don't see why there can't be a minor update to this game, or a some DLC with new costumes in it.

Yeah, they really missed a big opportunity with the combat. The fact that you can collect tons of battle stamps, but can only use one at a time is infuriating. Being able to combine stamps would have injected at least some semblance of strategy into the battles. As it is, it so overly simplified that it's not fun. Since your using ideas from Bowsers Inside Story, why not make the battles at least as interesting? They could have also done something like the FF job system. As it is, it looks like they do at first, and then they don't. A lot of let downs.

Having just completed the girl's campaign, I just realized that, since there are no unique save files, once I start in on the boy's campaign, all my work on his sister's side will be lost. So here is my idea: Persona specific New Game +. Every playthrough for a charector that has already been completed once has the option of starting with all previously unlocked stamps and completed non-exploration outfits. You know, something to allow players to retain at least SOME of their progress...

I totally agree with everything that was said here. I hope they patch this game quickly. Saving and obnoxiously fast text bubbles should be their priority.

I know this is going to come off as being fanboyish, but anyone who has spoken to me about Brutal Legend will know that it's not the case. That being said, I think that you are all being extraordinarily hyper-critical. The entire time that I spent playing this game last night was done so with a gigantic smile pasted on my face. The gameplay is pitch perfect, the humor is fantastic, the visuals are endearing. This is the game that I would have liked to see as their follow up to Psychonauts. I think that you are concentrating on an issue that you haven't even personally had a problem with, and you're stopping yourself from enjoying the game.

Funny thing is, I'm enjoying the heck out of the game. I like it so much though, I want it to be better. It's potential is so high that these flaws become glaring. Sometimes when a game has so many great parts, the bad parts stand out all the more. For $15 I can't help but feel that the game was rushed out the door to meet the holiday deadline.

Well, it's good to hear that you are enjoying it. I still think that you probably need to temper your expectations from a game with such a small development window, though. It's true that they were probably rushing to hit a deadline, but if they didn't hit that deadline then THQ would likely not be as willing to give them more money to make more games. This isn't Valve, and they aren't rolling in the dough. It's a small business that's doing everything it can to keep it's head above water, but is also trying to create something interesting, unique, and good. That's hard. Very hard. I'm willing to forgive minor issues, and not give them a second thought if it means that I can enjoy what they've done, and hopefully continue to do so for many years.

Loving this game, but they definitely needed the gave to quick save after each fight and not just upon quest completion. It makes it hard to want to explore the world and makes me feel rushed to complete quests in order to ensure my game is saved. Please patch this in. It sounds like it should be a simple update.

Well let's also remember that we are paying them good money, not the other way around. I support them whole heartedly, but I don't think that means they should lower their standards. A little extra polish goes a very long way. When your losing 20 minutes because you can't save the game and have to turn it off, that's a slap in the face. It's just an obvious flaw that many people acknowledge. When your camera stutters, that's a fact, plain and simple.

The other stuff is just my opinion, not my god given right. It's my suggestion on how to make a great game better, deeper and more fun.

Well let's also remember that we are paying them good money, not the other way around. I support them whole heartedly, but I don't think that means they should lower their standards. A little extra polish goes a very long way. When your losing 20 minutes because you can't save the game and have to turn it off, that's a slap in the face. It's just an obvious flaw that many people acknowledge. When your camera stutters, that's a fact, plain and simple.

The other stuff is just my opinion, not my god given right. It's my suggestion on how to make a great game better, deeper and more fun.

You have interesting ideas about what constitutes a slap in the face. Seeing as you were aware of the way the game saves, I would imagine that you have lost no time at all through that particular issue, anyway.

I wasn't aware of it until it happened twice. The point is you shouldn't have to work a games system in order to save. It's an obvious flaw. Don't you agree?

Ok, that's all I'm saying. For me it sucks because sometimes I have to stop in the middle of playing and don't have time to go finish a quest. Then there is always that stress of knowing that. haha

People are spoiled by saving today. I remember back on the genesis when I had to beat Streets of Rage in one sitting or I would have to repeat the whole game. I don't think this game is long enough to constitute an on the fly save, I mean 20-40 minutes of gameplay isn't that long, I mean its possible to make it up. I remember playing through sonic 1 for 3 hours and then my power went out. Now that is a slap in the face.

I personally remember the old FPS titles on the PC. I would quicksave by accident rather than quickload when I fell off a cliff. Nothing better than having your only save consist of your character falling to his/her death. Compared to those dates, I can deal.

These minor irritations are passable. I think people posting here are giving criticism because that's what most people do on forums. The naysayers are a lot more vocal than the people that are too busy enjoying the game -- they aren't on a forum ranting about it I suppose. ;)

I agree that any feedback is good feedback. I just feel that gamers who are new to gaming don't understand what it was like before saving (I still haven't beaten Ninja Gaiden for NES after 16 years of my life.)

I definitely feel you on that one. I was fortunate enough to work at Double Fine during the Psychonauts era and man was it a great environment. I think DF is doing a great job of not slapping the gamer on the hand in terms of your characters dying and losing progress. The few minutes needed to hit a quick save point is a minor issue.

I'm eager to see what the next DLC title will be from DF.

I agree that any feedback is good feedback. I just feel that gamers who are new to gaming don't understand what it was like before saving (I still haven't beaten Ninja Gaiden for NES after 16 years of my life.)

Oh, my god. Ninja Gaiden. Ninja filthy Gaiden. The hours upon hours of frustration, followed by the words "Bedtime". No. Screw you, Mom. There is no bedtime. I refuse to start this all over again tomorrow.

Then the groundings.

You forgot about the complete rage and many new controllers after the other one "got eaten by the dog" also the birds, never in any game have birds been so menacing evil, and sadistic. Those birds truly were sociopaths.

You forgot about the complete rage and many new controllers after the other one "got eaten by the dog" also the birds, never in any game have birds been so menacing evil, and sadistic. Those birds truly were sociopaths.

the only game that got me angry enough to break controllers is the wwe and mma games I hate them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Them too.

My first system was the Atari 2600 with Donkey Kong. So, yeah, but this is 2010 people, it's not hard to add a save button. And, when I was a kid I could afford to waste time, now, not so much. On the other hand, my favorite new game is Super Meat Boy. I don't mind a challenge, it's replaying something I just did for no reason that's annoying. Anyway you get the point. And I'm just trying to help improve the game...or the sequel, because I like it so much. I respect DF as a developer. I'd really love to work for a company like this so that I could give my input when it really matters...before launch ;)

I have an issue with the save system as well. I grew up playing those brutal games mentioned above (still haven't finished Ninja Gaiden either) but in my opinion the lack of an auto save upon exit is a poor design decision. In the case of Costume Quest my son actually lost progress tonight because I thought it had saved when we finished trick or treating in the first area. (That counts as a quest, right?) When we reloaded the game after dinner we had to go back and trick or treat a few more houses to get the gate open again. Games are meant to be fun, not a hassle. There may be legit reasons for a game designer to limit/restrict saves but thus far I have yet to see one.

I also have an issue with the speech bubbles being too hard to read on my HDTV and moving too fast. I was sort of letdown by the lack of voiceover but at the same time excited that my son would get to practice reading. They are moving way too fast for him. In fact, some of the bubbles are moving too fast for me to finish reading aloud to him. That may be for another thread, though.

That said we love what we have played so far. I can't wait to find more costumes although he has asked me not to play past the point where he is...