• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
grits

Saving is broken...are you kidding me?

I'm pretty sure the majority of gamers out there have this exact issue. Two easy fixes and all will be good. Response?

yeah grits (great username btw) I am just throwing in my 2 cents because too often in VG discussion I think people with legit criticism get shouted down or drowned out. I'm not sure why that is but I think it's possible to really enjoy a game but be critical of its weaknesses/limitations and there always seem to be way more people who can't understand that. For example I often see statements like this:

I think that you are all being extraordinarily hyper-critical.

Which IMO is not the case at all. Then it's followed by this:

The entire time that I spent playing this game last night was done so with a gigantic smile pasted on my face. The gameplay is pitch perfect, the humor is fantastic, the visuals are endearing.

Which doesn't even address the 2 main issues people are having with the game. I also love the gameplay, the humor, and the visuals. This thread is about the BROKEN SAVE SYSTEM. That plus all the appeals to nostalgia and cries of "oh kids these days just don't understand how good they have it" just seem to be missing the point.

I know what the point is, but personally I think the save issue isn't that bad really, the text thing is a bigger problem to me. Maybe I'm just too used to losing progress in all my games, even bigger titles. In Red Dead Redemption I lost about 4 hours of hunting and skinning because I got killed before I finished the mission to let it save. Also this is a smaller title so making up lost progress isn't that bad as it's not very long anyway. But that's just my opinion on things. Just cause I don't have a problem doesn't mean everybody feels the same way.

You would think it would save after major events...say leveling up, winning a battle, winning a mini-game?

Actually, you are right on the last part - about the mini-game.

I personally don't worry about WHEN it saves your game, or if I'm going to lose progress. Not anymore, anyways. You won't either, if you know this little tip:

The game will save every time you go to play the "Bobbing for Apples" mini-game. SO, on that note, every time you wanna save, just go play it once, and it will save, whether you win or lose. This mini-game is in each of the 3 areas, so you should not worry about being able to save in one area, but not the other. And you can go play it almost anytime you want. Of course, you won't be able to do it until you find the game in each area, first.

Sure, it's what you might call a "workaround", but you do what you gotta do, right? If there's no normal option that puts you in control of something, then you find a way to get in control. I used to be like everyone that's in this forum ranting and raving about there being no save option, but not anymore, thanks to this.

That actually works for me. Good idea. I thought this worked and I was going to post this earlier, but I thought it only saved the first time you play. I'll have to try it again. If it works than that's a pretty good work around.