• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
grits

I smiled - I loled ;)

I have issues with this game for sure but I have to say, it makes me smile and that's rare for a game these days. I even chuckled and maybe there was a laugh. More importantly I felt all warm and fuzzy. You devs (hey you guys!) did a fantastic job crafting a lovable atmosphere brimming with genuinely witty dialogue. Now just fix those other issues, they really get in the way.

Here are my issues in order. Hopefully they can make a better sequel.

1. Oversimplified battles. Can I have more attacks, magic, items etc?

2. Only one battle stamp per character.

3. More costumes please.

4. Auto-save doesn't save enough. Should save when you quit also.

5. Speech bubbles move to fast.

6. Stuttering frame-rate.

6. Are you playing on Ps3 or Xbox? I didn't see any on my xbox.

1. Yeah the battles were simple and Im guessing that's because it was rated E. I would have liked to develop thr characters a little more as well. Like what if you could combine costume parts to make your own. The last 2 boss fights were incredibly simple.

2. Could you imagine how over powered we would be with use of more than one stamp?

5. Yeah why couldn't all bubbles be user progressed?

Now that you've told us multiple times what you didn't like... why don't you write about what you did like?

I assume that was directed at grits but invade it was to me I put my good thoughts in the First Impressions thread. CQ is on my all time fav list now.

Now that you've told us multiple times what you didn't like... why don't you write about what you did like?

The Unicorn. That was the most Epic unicorn I have ever seen. Once I unlocked it, it never left my party. Not just becouse it could revive downed players, but also becouse it looked FREAKING AWSOME! It deserves to be in Brutal Legend, slaying demons and baithing in the blood of it's enemys! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :vampire:

This thread is about what I liked. Try to take this criticism well. There is no need to be defensive. The game has flaws that need to be fixed. It's a great game overall, but why not make it as good as it has the potential to be? I'm pretty sure most people out there would like the game more if it were not so short, had a more involving combat system, better save system etc.

I'm actually not the type of gamer to troll. I like the game and that's why I'm here trying to make it better. You really can't expect to release a XBLA game with so many flaws for $15 and not expect some criticism. I'm spending my time typing this when I have work to do. Hopefully it's not time wasted.

3. More costumes please.

Bolded the issues I feel are more of an issue to me. Lovely game.

This thread is about what I liked. Try to take this criticism well. There is no need to be defensive. The game has flaws that need to be fixed. It's a great game overall, but why not make it as good as it has the potential to be? I'm pretty sure most people out there would like the game more if it were not so short, had a more involving combat system, better save system etc.

I'm actually not the type of gamer to troll. I like the game and that's why I'm here trying to make it better. You really can't expect to release a XBLA game with so many flaws for $15 and not expect some criticism. I'm spending my time typing this when I have work to do. Hopefully it's not time wasted.

And we've heard your complaints Grits and thank you for your input. No need to constantly repeat them over and over again. They have been heard.

Grits - I would assume it's so short since it's, you know, a downloadable game that only cost $15?

Also, having more than one battle stamp per person would make you a bit overpowered, so I was totally fine with that. At first I was a little frustrated with it, but after progressing through the game and getting stronger stamps, I understood why. And luckily, I haven't had any frame rate problems yet, and I am on PS3.

I had tons of fun with the game! It was very cute, funny, and scratched the itch I've had lately for some kind of turn based RPG. It's the first game to have made me laugh out loud quite a while, when I first performed the "Anthem" ability I laughed so hard that I actually missed what it did the first time. I'm probably going to replay the game today, and this time try to get all those dang creepy treats! I had all but one last time, but I got tired of looking for it and just finished the game!

Also, having more than one battle stamp per person would make you a bit overpowered, so I was totally fine with that. At first I was a little frustrated with it, but after progressing through the game and getting stronger stamps, I understood why.

Good point.

Also, having more than one battle stamp per person would make you a bit overpowered, so I was totally fine with that. At first I was a little frustrated with it, but after progressing through the game and getting stronger stamps, I understood why.

Good point.

Well one would have to balance the game in accordance to that. Being able to use more than one stamp, and the combos that may create, would mean more time in development. So, yeah, now we know why you can only use one. The reason I don't like it is because of what you say. You get better and better stamps as the game goes on. In this way, the game forces you to only use certain stamps. The stamps give you the illusion of control and strategy where there really is none.

Oh, and while (for a 'rpg') the game is rather short. For $15 it's understandable.

And we've heard your complaints Grits and thank you for your input. No need to constantly repeat them over and over again. They have been heard.

I'm glad you've heard them, but are you going to respond? What do you think about the suggestions.

I think I should have put them all in one post, so sorry for that, otherwise, I don't think I'm repeating myself. If I am, it's in another thread in response to someone else.

Best triple post of the day. Am I right?

Yeah, I wanted to combine them but didn't know how. Anyway thanks for bringing it up! ;)

I'm glad you've heard them, but are you going to respond? What do you think about the suggestions.

I think I should have put them all in one post, so sorry for that, otherwise, I don't think I'm repeating myself. If I am, it's in another thread in response to someone else.

Your complaints are about the design of the game, not bugs so I personally have nothing to respond to. I have recorded your comments and again, thank you for your feedback and suggestions.

Your complaints are about the design of the game, not bugs so I personally have nothing to respond to. I have recorded your comments and again, thank you for your feedback and suggestions.

What about the frame-rate issues? I don't think that was in the games design. Is it just how the game is supposed to run or is there a problem they didn't catch?

Beyond that, someone that made the game (Tasha Harris) could respond and let us know if they plan to patch the game or not. Do they view the save thing as a problem or not, etc. If they can explain their design choices. Remember, I'm not accusing anyone, I'm just very curious. Again, your game is great, but being interested in game design myself, I love to hear about this stuff.

Man, do I hope that you have to deal with the equivalent of yourself when you make your first game.

Although most of Grits ideas are pretty much unrealistic for a game that is already finished and out, but there is one issue he noted that players are having trouble repeatably no matter to which forum I go, and that is the automatic text speed. So I hope this can be looked at since the effect of the humor and writing is largely lost because players are racing through the text just so they could catch everything, and couple of times even that is not enough. :/

Man, do I hope that you have to deal with the equivalent of yourself when you make your first game.

LOL!

You know, I was thinking about this. I come from an art school background where everything is torn apart and criticized OCD style. This can really hurt, but it can also be helpful if your willing to put pride aside and think about what people are saying. I know this game is Tim, Tasha and the rest of the teams baby, so sorry if I come off as a *******. Hope you can take my criticism and make something positive out of it instead of just ignoring it and calling me potty mouth names :)

I also realize manking a game is ****ing hard. But if your a AAA developer, that's the world your in. Expectations should be met.

OH, and yes, a text patch should be pretty easy to implement. The rest of the stuff I mentioned will have to wait for a new game...or free DLC (a man can hope)

Double Fine me oh my, thank you for making an enjoyable experience. I haven't gotten through the whole game so far, but you have given me great joy! I confess I've lost my Halloween spirit over the past few years, but playing Costume Quest is helping rekindle that. People go see scary movies or go to haunted houses to enjoy Halloween experiences, but I think you've captured something here which is far greater. You've taken the essence of Halloween, trick or treating and dressing up, and made it into a unique and great game that can be experienced by young and old alike! To all the staff that worked very hard on this title, you have my deepest gratitude!

This game, though it may have been shortly lived, was a fantastic experience. I can definitely feel the love put into this game. Even if the story didn't have enough time to be developed, every character had depth, including every small character with no more than one line. I particularly loved some of the battle designs (FRENCH FRY CRAB) and really the general wit and charm of the dialogue (the apple bobbing guy comes to mind). There were a few issues of course. The gameplay could have been more compelling and less repetitive and, yeah, there were frame rate issues, but those are but small issues in the face of the rest of the game. It really is like a Tasha comic come to life.

I also realize manking a game is ****ing hard. But if your a AAA developer, that's the world your in. Expectations should be met.

OH, and yes, a text patch should be pretty easy to implement. The rest of the stuff I mentioned will have to wait for a new game...or free DLC (a man can hope)

I didn't say that making games is hard (although, it undoubtedly is). I said that keeping a small company afloat in this economy is hard. Decisions have to be made, and sometimes things don't come out exactly as the company wants them to. Still, it's more preferable to put out a good product with a lot of heart that meets it's deadline, and keeps the company viable than it is to put out a flawless product, ruin your reputation with the publisher because you couldn't meet the deadline, and go out of business.

Also, no one is saying that these problems don't exist. It's your incessant harping on them that is annoying. Do you really expect an immediate response about what they are willing to do about it? I know you're probably a young guy, but you have to understand that upper management decisions are not made or implemented in the blink of an eye. They have to decide whether it will be cost effective to do this. Who's going to sift through the code and fix the issue? What's he/she working on right now? How long will we have to take them away from that project to fix it? How far behind will that put the current project? When is this grits guy going to stop yelling at me so I can think for a second? All good questions.

On topic: Costume Quest is easily the funniest game out of all Double Fine's and Tim Schafer's previous works.

"Just a few more calculations... Thank you ALGEBRA!"

3. More costumes please.

Well, let's see here. [my numbers will correspond with the ones in the quote]

1) Battles are fine - Each costume has it's own special ability, and you can add abilities using Battle Stamps, so you have sort of a sense of customization.

2) I sort of halfway agree with this one - only halfway, because as nice as it would be, you might end up breaking the system, and the fun of the game. All the stamps are not entirely unique. Some are more advanced versions of others. For instance, let's say, for sake of example, you can use 2 stamps at once. The system would end up broken, if say, you used both "Fang of the Wolf"(Increased Attack Power), and "Jawbone of the Wolf"(Greatly Increased Attack Power) at the same time. You would probably be unstoppable, from your attack power alone. IDK about you, but if I can just go into a battle, and kill an enemy in one hit - it would only be fun for so long. I'd laugh and say "You DARE defy me and my awesome POWER?!?!" But like I said, it's only fun for so long. After a while, it'd get incredibly boring, because there'd be no challenge in it, if I was able to kill most of the enemies in one hit. Some of the stamps also add abilities, and there's only one place right now for those in the battle sequences - the circle button. You wouldn't be able to add more than one of that type of stamp, unless they changed that, which, idk how difficult that would be.

3) More costumes, might be nice, yes. However, I don't see how they could add anymore costumes, unless they somehow made the game a lot longer. DLC possibly, but that would require a re-write of the notebook, to add more pages on the Patterns side, and to come up with the technical info about the costume, to put on the right side. But then think about this: Normally, obtaining costumes goes: You find the pattern, and then find the 3 materials for the pattern. If they make DLC costumes, I'd think that they'd just give the pattern for the costume, and you would have to find the parts for the costume somewhere, because just giving you the whole costume would take the fun out of it. Plus besides the costumes of your companions, that is how you find the other costumes, anyways, right? Find the pattern and materials to make it. Again, it'd break the system of the game, and make no sense, to just give the whole costume away.

4) The Saving issue is minor, and can be dealt with. Read this, and see how: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/3706/P30/#123856

5) This one, I actually totally agree with. Some of the speech bubbles have an x button icon in the lower left of them, and the conversation won't continue until you press x. However, only about half of them have this, and the ones that don't tend to disappear way too fast. I'm a pretty fast reader, so I personally don't mind it - but I know people who can't read as fast as I can, and could end up missing out on important dialog. Like, near the beginning. The scene where your kid and Everett go talk to the Monster gate, in the suburbs. There's no press x to continue on the dialog bubble that states that all houses must be "liberated" of candy before the gate will open. If I wasn't able to read it fast enough before it disappeared, I might have been still stuck in the first area wondering how the hell to get the gate open.

6) This I can't say anything about, since I have not had any issues regarding this yet. I am playing the PSN version, on PS3, using one of the first generation, fat PS3s. You'd think a PS3 like mine would have this issue, but, if I'm not having it, I don't see why others are having it.