• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
grits

Combat

What do you guys and galls think of the combat system. Post your likes, dislikes and suggestions for the next game right here.

I like it quite a bit, honestly. I don't like the one size fits all difficulty level though... there's no real way to play the game as more balanced towards an experienced gamer, so once you get down the basics you will destroy this game. I also wish you could swap costumes in combat and some monsters required certain costumes to be defeated.Then you aren't able to just use the early costumes everywhere, which I found myself doing a lot.

The battle system is absurdly simple, but it flows really well and is actually pretty engaging. It's surprisingly not bad.

I like it quite a bit, honestly. I don't like the one size fits all difficulty level though... there's no real way to play the game as more balanced towards an experienced gamer, so once you get down the basics you will destroy this game.

Very true.well, maybe except for Big Bones. Man is he a pain, mainly when he powers up. Helpful hint: take ress stamps and use the unicorn(with said stamp on one with it equipped).

I Liked the Combat, but the game itself was, quite frankly, too easy. I only had to Run away once and I died on BB Twice. Costumes like Knight, Ninja and Unicorn were kinda Awesome but Impractical, because Not once did I ever have to use them; I made it through the Game with Robot for AoE, SoL for Heals and and Space Knight for the lulz. My final party at the end was a mix of Rob/Jack/Dracula and Rob/SoL/Dracula. The Cat Costume was Fun though!

Back to actual Gameplay, I liked that there were Different Quicktime events that had to keep me actively involved in the combat. My fave one was the Analog Movement for Magic Users, but it never got boring to do any of them.

Good ideas. It would be cool if you could swap costumes on the fly and if certain enemies had weaknesses etc. More costumes (think job classes) the ability to mix battle stamps, and more attacking and defense options would vary it up. Ooh, and status effects...yes please. You could still keep it basic in that there aren't any weapons, armor or items, I would just like a little more challenge and a lot more strategic options. It's all there, they just chose not to go that route I guess. Hopefully for the sequel.

I do like the quick-time stuff, except the wiggle silliness.

Ooh, and status effects...yes please.

There already are.

Stun

Poison

Fire

Yeah.

On a different note:

Maybe having a Kid mode(with the simple combat already in place for younger ones), and a Normal mode(for the older group) could do?

(copy pasted from another topic, lol)

The game isn't long enough to make most of these suggestions viable. If you added all of the different abilities and strategies, by the time you finished testing each one you would already be at the end of the game.

I think that combat is perfect as it is. If the game were a retail release then I would certainly agree that it needs a lot more depth.

You guys have some good ideas. I think your right that you couldn't have TOO much customization due to the length, but you could add more without it being a problem.

@kgoodies

Could you do something else besides complain about what others say? And for the record, I'm not complaining as expressing a concern really.

@grits

That's why, say like, an expansion pack or something along those lines could help. One can dream ya know?

An expansion would be cool. I wonder what they have in mind, if anything. I wonder how they feel about all of our comments. Maybe they just shrug them off or maybe they actually want or wanted to implement a lot of them but didn't have the time. Or, maybe they didn't want the game to become too complex. It would be interesting to hear directly from Tasha or Tim. They can't really be totally honest though, not yet at least.

Absolutely the best combat system for me. It reminds me strongly of the combat system in Paper Mario 2, and I can actually play the game and fight the enemies without being too frustrated. The only thing I would complain of is that you're always fighting enemies who are a level or more higher than you, and who pretty much always have more HP than you. Balancing this, though, is the fact that you can defend, and your attacks do more damage. :)

could u new people please do something besides complain?

Actually I've promoted the game to people in a lot of other forums. Don't jump to conclusions... we're just curious about whether DF can take it to the next level or what. Also nobody's obligated to not complain, hate to break the whole free speech and exchange of ideas thing to you as a shock... but I like to live that way.

yeah the combat was simple but it was really fun. i dont think really fleshed out rpg combat would even fit with the kind of game it is. i hope they make more holiday themed games in the same style....

More holidays would be cool. I definitely don't want a Final Fantasy style game at all. Just slightly more customization and strategy.

tho i do love me some final fantasy (VII anyway) i agree i wouldnt want that style in this game. i would also like another halloween themed one. like a "one year later" thing. double everything esp. game length.

I thought I wasnt going to be a big fan of the combat, but it grew on me. I liked it. I'm excited to see what their next game will be like.