Sign in to follow this  
dinnerordie17

The Reading Thread

I've been taking a break from the John Lennon biography (You know, with all those triple A games coming lately, and the biggest time sucker in my life thats prevented me from spending time with my favorite past time. AKA the Internet.) How I've been reading it again and I'm almost done, I'm around 670 pages in (for a puerto rican, that's a lot) with only around 150 to go. I'm thinking of buying Alice in wonderland and through the looking glass, I really enjoyed the little excerpts in the biography, and I found the word-play charming. Oh, and John is crazier than Yoko that's all!

Don't stereotype your own race. That's what other races are for.

I've been taking a break from the John Lennon biography (You know, with all those triple A games coming lately, and the biggest time sucker in my life thats prevented me from spending time with my favorite past time. AKA the Internet.) How I've been reading it again and I'm almost done, I'm around 670 pages in (for a puerto rican, that's a lot) with only around 150 to go. I'm thinking of buying Alice in wonderland and through the looking glass, I really enjoyed the little excerpts in the biography, and I found the word-play charming. Oh, and John is crazier than Yoko that's all!

You white people always being racist and eating mayonnaise.

Ur wit rit?

Yeah, like us. Damn Puerto Ricans getting a free ride on taxes.

Damn Muppets getting money from movies.

... You just crossed a line.

... You just crossed a line.

You posted two seconds ago...

Is it possible for me to read while checking if anyone's posted on dfaf?

No, it is not.
Yeah, I'm not even going to try. Shouldn't we be talking about books?

Me to, I feel smarter after I read. Can't say the same about the Internet...

I also tried to read love craft, but I just couldn't get into it. (However there was one really good about a musician.) Speaking of short storys I became interested in I have no mouth and I must scream after reading my game infomer a few day ago. I looked it up and tried to read it but... I couldn't, I felt It pushed me into a story with no introduction and thereafter I felt confused at what I was reading. Maybe I'll give it a try next time.

I also tried to read love craft, but I just couldn't get into it. (However there was one really good about a musician.) Speaking of short storys I became interested in I have no mouth and I must scream after reading my game infomer a few day ago. I looked it up and tried to read it but... I couldn't, I felt It pushed me into a story with no introduction and thereafter I felt confused at what I was reading. Maybe I'll give it a try next time.

I assume you're talking about HP Lovecraft and The Music of Erich Zann? IMO it takes a few hundred pages of reading Lovecraft to get into the style. I never would've gotten into him if I didn't start with annotated versions. Now he's one of my favorite authors.

I assume you're talking about HP Lovecraft and The Music of Erich Zann? IMO it takes a few hundred pages of reading Lovecraft to get into the style. I never would've gotten into him if I didn't start with annotated versions. Now he's one of my favorite authors.
Yeah that one I loved. also it could because I got to the short story that is basically Frankenstein. While it is well written I couldn't get into it because of the similarities.

In response to Scarecrow: Well, I haven't read a lot of short storys.

Does anyone remember goosebumps?

I remember not liking them much as a kid, when I was about 8 I really got into one called... somethin of the lost maybe? It was about a brother and sister I think who got caught up in all this stuff when they were in the artic. I was really enjoying it and getting into it, and then it kinda dropped a horrible ending when it felt like it could've kept going for like 300 pages, so I basically never read another Goosbumps book again, except for those choose your way ones.

I used to read in my mind, but then I would get lost in my thought and worries. Now I find reading out load in a low voice more efficient than reading in my mind. What's your favorite way to read?

Right now I'm reading "Anne Frank: The Diary Of A Young Girl.". For the few who don't what that is, it's the diary of young girl (as the title suggest) who was in hiding from the nazi (I hate these guys *indy reference FTW!*). So far I've Read how her conscience would bother her whenever she thought of the other Jews who where in concentration camps, and how much more fortunate she was for at least having food to eat, and a bed to sleep on. I find it disturbing on how she views her mother (and so does she in a later part of the diary) saying that her mother is not loving and at times cruel. I wonder if that's true or if it's just something that happens every twenty-eight days (If you you know what I mean). She does mention somthing that her mother said one time that would indicate something mothers shouldn't do.. it seems her mother would rather be her friend than her mother, and that seems to hurt Anne and make her feel disconnected to her mother. Also, Anne went to first base with a girl friend of hers (And by that I mean a girl who is friend.), and promptly asked whether she should go to second base (She didn't say those exact words, but it's the same thing).

I think after this book I'll the michael crichton bio. My father says it's less of a biography, and more of a collection of interesting story throughout his life. That's why the book is called travels.

In my head mostly. But sometimes my hundreds of hours of reading to my sister Harry Potter aloud comes back and I'll find catch myself reading the dialog aloud in the character's voices. I find I do this a lot with the Ice and Fire books. Especially the chapters from Tyrion's POV.
Is your sister blind? Or where you *gulp* being nice?

Right now I'm reading "Anne Frank: The Diary Of A Young Girl.". For the few who don't what that is, it's the diary of young girl (as the title suggest) who was in hiding from the nazi (I hate these guys *indy reference FTW!*). So far I've Read how her conscience would bother her whenever she thought of the other Jews who where in concentration camps, and how much more fortunate she was for at least having food to eat, and a bed to sleep on. I find it disturbing on how she views her mother (and so does she in a later part of the diary) saying that her mother is not loving and at times cruel. I wonder if that's true or if it's just something that happens every twenty-eight days (If you you know what I mean). She does mention somthing that her mother said one time that would indicate something mothers shouldn't do.. it seems her mother would rather be her friend than her mother, and that seems to hurt Anne and make her feel disconnected to her mother. Also, Anne went to first base with a girl friend of hers (And by that I mean a girl who is friend.), and promptly asked whether she should go to second base (She didn't say those exact words, but it's the same thing).

I think after this book I'll the michael crichton bio. My father says it's less of a biography, and more of a collection of interesting story throughout his life. That's why the book is called travels.

After you read the book, you should play the game.
Tales of Game's Studios has been hard at work bringing you this software application.

Being the newest in a long line of popular edutainment titles, The Diary of Anne Frank truly takes the genre to new heights by employing aspects that have never been seen before. Developed by actual scientists in a lab, this highly sophisticated application does not only convey the diary of Anne Frank through digital technology, but also lets the users for the first time experience the book in its truest, 100% most canonical form. This has never been done before.

Explore, feel and discover the world as it is presented to you in the ultra-modern form of Virtual Computer Technology. Experience the crisp reality of the authentic pseudo-3D employed as you flip through the pages of her diary. Wander the world of a since long forgotten era. Learn a fact and apply it IRL (In Real Life). All is possible in Tales of Game's new edutainment software title;

The Diary of Anne Frank

After you read the book, you should play the game.
Tales of Game's Studios has been hard at work bringing you this software application.

Being the newest in a long line of popular edutainment titles, The Diary of Anne Frank truly takes the genre to new heights by employing aspects that have never been seen before. Developed by actual scientists in a lab, this highly sophisticated application does not only convey the diary of Anne Frank through digital technology, but also lets the users for the first time experience the book in its truest, 100% most canonical form. This has never been done before.

Explore, feel and discover the world as it is presented to you in the ultra-modern form of Virtual Computer Technology. Experience the crisp reality of the authentic pseudo-3D employed as you flip through the pages of her diary. Wander the world of a since long forgotten era. Learn a fact and apply it IRL (In Real Life). All is possible in Tales of Game's new edutainment software title;

The Diary of Anne Frank

How offensive. GOOD THING I'M NOT JEWISH! Does anyone else here like making fun of hitler?

Edit: are you Leroy rocktopus? (Or how ever it's spelled)

Yes. On both counts. I can't imagine anyone else coming up with this name.
Oh, thought you where alive! To bad we're all dead...

In my head mostly. But sometimes my hundreds of hours of reading to my sister Harry Potter aloud comes back and I'll find catch myself reading the dialog aloud in the character's voices. I find I do this a lot with the Ice and Fire books. Especially the chapters from Tyrion's POV.

No we both just enjoy listening to my voice.

No we both just enjoy listening to my voice.

Are you Morgan Freeman?

Right now I'm reading Bonfire of the Vanities by (name which escapes me right now). It's pretty decent. Oh and Frankenstein, but I hate Gothic literature with a passion.

Right now I'm reading Bonfire of the Vanities by (name which escapes me right now). It's pretty decent. Oh and Frankenstein, but I hate Gothic literature with a passion.

I believe Tom Wolfe wrote that.

I'm reading Suttree by Cormac McCarthy at the moment.

I finished Anne Frank yestardy. So I'm reading this diary about a girl who is maturing to a young women, and then it comes to a halt. The afterword of the book is recap to events that led to world war II, along with a recap of why the franks went into hiding. I knew Anne was going to die. However, I didn't know how she was going to die. I thought maybe did something a bit more humane, like, get a machine gun and mow her down (You know that nazi's where evil sons of bitches if I consider that humane.) she essentially died alone (well, without her family at least.) from an unknown sickness (It wasn't mentioned in version of the book at least.)In a concentration camp. The book said she died in peace.... I don't know how that's possible....