Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Acefox&#13

The Walking Dead thread

@Hot: Interesting rant. I can't really argue against any of those points though I will say that I think it's a good thing they didn't have the Governor rape her. The reason being that would make the Governor too one dimensional. It's easy to make a horrible monster that everyone hates (you know- diabolical megalomaniac who gets his jollies from torturing and hurting others but is also a coward and has no redeemable qualities). I think the art in good story telling is to make a villain who you can actually sympathize with to some degree or at least pity. In the comic, the Governor is supposedly this ugly "obviously evil" looking dude so there's not much of a surprise (if you Google Image him he looks like Danny Trejo). In the show, I think it was much more clever to make him this handsome guy that you really want to believe means well, but then turns out to be a controlling psychopath. I think he showed how horrible he was by just forcing Maggie to undress. He's a manipulative bastard that doesn't have a shred of decency on the inside, despite his outwardly friendly appearance. I think he blames the military for the epidemic which caused his daughter to turn and to lose his wife- but that anyone would not have the humanity to kill zombies, but rather keep their heads alive as trophies is quite sick and perverted. (Actually, I think it could have made for some comic laughs - Andrea could have been like: "And what exactly were you doing with all those severed heads in a dark room all by yourself?" And then the Governor could have been like "well.. uh.. heheh- it's funny you should ask.. you see baby.. a guy gets kind of lonely..")

As for the scene where Michonne and Andrea don't say anything to each other? I'll just say.. more drama for the television?

By the way, did anyone think one of those zombie heads looked familiar?

HeadoftheNavigator.png

@kodiak: good points! I thought it was kind of weird when Michonne first shows up too- but then on the Talking Dead everyone was saying how excited they were that they finally introduced her character (she's apparently a fan favorite in the comic). I had assumed there would be this whole backstory for her of how she became that way (or at least how she got trained with a friggin kitana blade.. and how she adopted her zombie companions). But either they haven't gotten up to that part yet or I guess it makes sense to comic book fans and not to anyone else. You're totally right though- it's like she somehow snuck her way onto the show from another Sci-Fi show. I will admit she's pretty badass nonetheless. And it's probably because the first two seasons of the show kept it more in the hypothetical realm of near-reality when it comes to the zombie apocalypse that she stands out as being more unrealistic. Though the explosion at the CDC at the end of season 1 was also kind of silly. I just hope they keep the show somewhat believable.

Agree with you on the point that T-dawg, Oscar, and Tyreese seem to be the same character. Hopefully, Tyreese lasts a bit longer.

And why are they trying so hard to make us love Andrea? Maybe she'll be like Gollum and serve a higher purpose at the end. Oops! LotR Spoilers!

see my problem is that the governor really isn't any worse than rick at the moment. rick does unnecessary violence too, like axe murdering that prisoner at the beginning of the season. rick does crazy shit too, look at his hallucinations and rampage through the prison. i could see season 3 rick using an interrogation tactic like forcing an enemy to undress if he was desperate to protect his people. rick would not cross the line into full-on rapeland though. to make the inevitable clash between rick and the governor interesting the governor has to be clearly worse than rick. they have to be different. that's what i think.

I definitely see Rick and the Governor as being polar opposites. Rick killed two armed and threatening thugs who looked like they were going to draw on him. He saved Randall from being eaten by zombies. He couldn't bring himself to execute him later. Tomas blatantly pushed a zombie on top of Rick and was pretty much a prison psychopath- at least Rick was nice enough to do it to his face rather than behind his back as Tomas probably would have done. And as far as him going on a rampage and killing zombies after losing his wife - I'd hardly call that a crime. Killing zombies during the zombie apocalypse is doing them and everyone a favor. He also goes out of his way to rescue Glenn and Maggie.

As far as the Governor goes- he lost his wife and in all respects his daughter- but that unleashes every evil thing about him. He doesn't care about any of the people he's got in his compound. He wouldn't even let Merle leave to find his brother. He actively sought out those soldiers and murdered them. He also kept at least one of their heads for his trophy aquarium. He not only condones but helps to torture and interrogate two innocent people that were randomly kidnapped with the intention of finding their camp and exterminating it like the soldiers.

I don't see any similarity between Rick and the Governor. If I had to choose- I would definitely go with Rick in a creepy but somewhat secure prison over the controlling Governor and his pretty little oasis.

Hey all, resurrecting this thread (pun intended)

I just recently read up to Vol 4 of the Walking Dead comic and just my opinion, but I think it sucks. Course, I'm coming from the perspective of someone who's first seen the TV show, and then picked up the comic out of curiosity. If you don't know already, the TV show and comic use many of the same characters, but otherwise are completely different.

See, in the TV show, they make the characters somewhat gray, but still relatable for the most part (maybe not early Andrea). Sometimes their actions might seem brash, but you can reason it out as they are forced into these tight situations about survival. The thing with the comic is- although it was where Robert Kirkman first put down his ideas- they don't seem very well thought-out like you would with an editor. Vol 1 and 2 are okay I suppose, but 3 and 4 are where everyone gets really annoying and accusatory. The situations are super melodramatic and (because it's a comic) there's a whole lot of these Phoenix Wright poses with people pointing at each other and accusing them of something. Some of the characters seem blatantly set up to be hated- which I personally see as a very amateur way of writing. First of all, they hardly seem realistic and two- it's like the writer is expressing his/her own opinion through poorly created situations rather than allowing the reader to see it through the character's eyes.

TL;DR - in summary: watch the show, it's awesome; Don't read the comic, it blows IMO.

So? What did you all think of the season premiere last night?

My guess for what's coming next:

Zombie Pigs

I'm also pretty sure, every new cast member they just introduced is going to become zombie grub. It would actually surprise me if they kept- just one -for more than this season.

Last thoughts: why the heck was crazy Clara even feeding the head she called a husband?? The food would just fall right out the neck!

So? What did you all think of the season premiere last night?

My guess for what's coming next:

Zombie Pigs

I'm also pretty sure, every new cast member they just introduced is going to become zombie grub. It would actually surprise me if they kept- just one -for more than this season.

Last thoughts: why the heck was crazy Clara even feeding the head she called a husband?? The food would just fall right out the neck!

Seriously, I thought the episode was terrible. I felt like the action scenes were gimmicky and something I'd expect from one of those laughable late night sci fi channel movies. Rick was doing the same thing we've seen him do a million times,

the crazy lady Clara in what way furthered the story? I mean seriously? I feel like there could have been a much more poignant way for Herschel and Rick to have the "can we come back from it " conversation than introducing a character who spends less than 10 minutes on screen doing (as you pointed out) absurdly ridiculous things just to get get them to have this talk for the audience. I mean, I guess it's disturbing that she lures people away to kill them, but couldn't that have been done to SUCH greater effect if slowly some of the extras (and let's face it, future redshirts) were picked off on small excursions, and later we finally stumble upon the zombie feeding human monster that is Clara? I mean come on. The only redeeming part was the seed planted of that weird looking zombie, the pig, and the last few minutes of the show.

oh, and Michonne, but she's always great.

I'm still mad about that episode. Especially because I spent money on it. >:(

The only way I can see the Clara mini story there as having any sort of a point is if he were to come back and find her unzombified. That's it.

@Tiny: Heheh- whereas I didn't think the episode was that bad, I feel you in regards to the Syfy channel feel of it. Of course, a movie about zombie epidemics really IS a sci-fi show so if anything I guess it demonstrates how this show, at least up until now, has really surprised people by being more of a prime time drama than the usual derivative fantasy drivel of its counterparts. Also, why did you have to spend money on it? Don't you get AMC along with your regular cable subscription?

The Clara reveal was pretty lame. I do like your suggestion of keeping it a secret all season and then showing at the end- that's right, humans are the real threat. This has been the overall theme of the show anyhow. Personally, I think it could have worked a little bit better had they not made Clara herself look like a friggin zombie. If they made her sad and innocent looking (but still human), they could have had Rick take pity on her. Definitely not hinting in any way that she wasn't right in the head like the episode actually did. This would have misled audiences to thinking Rick saw Laurie in Clara and possibly even a future romance between the two. The reveal should have been much less predictable. That she even mentioned she had to feed her husband gave it away. The only mention of her husband should have come up from Rick asking her if she was with any other survivors- and then maybe just her sadly mentioning she lost someone very dear to her. Also, what was the deal with the wine shelf case falling on top of that one guy? Completely random. Just like the zombies falling through the ceiling. Pretty opportunistic collapse given just a random shelf case falling over.. Anyways, I think the season will pick up. I did like the last scene of Patrick falling in the shower. We'll see how it goes.

@Tiny: Heheh- whereas I didn't think the episode was that bad, I feel you in regards to the Syfy channel feel of it. Of course, a movie about zombie epidemics really IS a sci-fi show so if anything I guess it demonstrates how this show, at least up until now, has really surprised people by being more of a prime time drama than the usual derivative fantasy drivel of its counterparts. Also, why did you have to spend money on it? Don't you get AMC along with your regular cable subscription?

The Clara reveal was pretty lame. I do like your suggestion of keeping it a secret all season and then showing at the end- that's right, humans are the real threat. This has been the overall theme of the show anyhow. Personally, I think it could have worked a little bit better had they not made Clara herself look like a friggin zombie. If they made her sad and innocent looking (but still human), they could have had Rick take pity on her. Definitely not hinting in any way that she wasn't right in the head like the episode actually did. This would have misled audiences to thinking Rick saw Laurie in Clara and possibly even a future romance between the two. The reveal should have been much less predictable. That she even mentioned she had to feed her husband gave it away. The only mention of her husband should have come up from Rick asking her if she was with any other survivors- and then maybe just her sadly mentioning she lost someone very dear to her. Also, what was the deal with the wine shelf case falling on top of that one guy? Completely random. Just like the zombies falling through the ceiling. Pretty opportunistic collapse given just a random shelf case falling over.. Anyways, I think the season will pick up. I did like the last scene of Patrick falling in the shower. We'll see how it goes.

I have my own apartment, so I just have hulu+ and netflix instead, anything else I just purchase episodes through amazon.

yeah, I'm looking forward to information on what appears to be a new form of contagion, and seeing how his transformation will play out inside the jail.

I'll tune in for at least another couple of episodes in the hopes that it picks up.

After a so-so mid-season so far, tonight's episode 49 (Season 4, ep 14), was actually pretty decent.

What's interesting is that I just happened to watch the movie Warm Bodies this weekend, and whereas it wasn't really a good movie or anything- it had the opposite message as tonight's episode.

This last episode was more of a somber tone then I think we've seen in a while for the series. That kid was messed up something fierce. You have to imagine that in that kind of situation odds are you would have some people break under the stress like that and just lose it. Especially at a younger age. Still, I was not expecting things to go down like they did. I didn't end up watching the Talking Dead, but was one of the guest crying?

So if anyone here is still up to date with the comics.

What do you guys think will happen in the next issue? I don't want to believe that Kirkman will finally kill off Rick, but I really don't see Rick surviving that arrow shot if it truly is infected with walker guts. I noticed the part of the arrow/bolt that hasn't went through Rick isn't covered in guts yet, so that's where I think it will go. He isn't infected, just wounded, but that's just my thoughts.

Sign in to follow this