Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  

PC version - FAQ update

dunno if anyone else has noticed, but the faq was updated with a clear explanation of the lack of pc versions

Why no PC versions of Brütal Legend, Costume Quest, or Stacking?

As a developer we do not have final say in the sku plan for our games. That is the decision of the person investing the money, i.e. the publisher. We have much of the technology in place to produce PC versions of all these games, but there is still some more work required to make them shippable and that costs money. So far, our publishers have not elected to fund that work. Not because they hate PC Gamers, but because they don't see enough financial reward. Double Fine does care about PC Gamers, and we always push for a PC version, and will continue to do so in the future. If we ever get super stinking rich here, with enough money to fund PC versions of our games, then we will go back and make them ourselves! Oh man, wouldn't that be cool?

it all comes down to money. sorry guys.

So if you guys want to see PC versions of our favorite games, you should totally throw money at Double Fine to help them out. I've already gave them around $200, but they still need more! Every little bit helps :3!

Yup. I haven't had a gaming worthy PC in years. All I can play on this thing is Touhou Project.

No. Every time that happens it make my eye twitch and I take a dollar out of the "PC Port Fund" jar.
What they need to tell people is how we can put dollars into the PC Port Fund jar. For instance, if they had a preorder page ("in the event that DBLF releases $X for the PC they may immediately charge my credit card and send me a download link") or some other way for people to register interest in a way which rather than annoying them helps them show their publishers that there's a money-making opportunity in porting the software that'd be helpful.

I doubt they'd want to actually put up a donations link and say "when this port fund jar reaches $Y we can port it ourselves" but if they did I think there would be people who would be interested.

What they need to tell people is how we can put dollars into the PC Port Fund jar. For instance, if they had a preorder page ("in the event that DBLF releases $X for the PC they may immediately charge my credit card and send me a download link") or some other way for people to register interest in a way which rather than annoying them helps them show their publishers that there's a money-making opportunity in porting the software that'd be helpful.

I doubt they'd want to actually put up a donations link and say "when this port fund jar reaches $Y we can port it ourselves" but if they did I think there would be people who would be interested.

At least one indie developer has tried something like that: http://zeboyd.com/2011/01/17/kickstarter-fundraising-efforts-for-enhanced-version-of-cthulhu-saves-the-world-for-pc-360/

Granted, the goal was a fairly modest one ($3,000). But on the other hand, that goal was quickly surpassed: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/744735150/cthulhu-saves-the-world-enhanced-version-for-pc-an

Sign in to follow this