Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Double Fine QA

Grubbins On Ice DLC for XBLA and PSN is now available. Pause cutscenes... save anywhere!!!

That's right, the first title update for the Xbox 360 and PS3 is out right now!! This also adds the ability to now save at any phone booth and you can now pause all the cut scenes by pressing the X Button (360) or Square Button (PS3) so you can read the text at your leisure!!!

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Costume-Quest-Grubbins-on-Ice/e86d840b-a3f7-4566-90f2-d88bd7b39375

No word yet on PS3. It was approved, just waiting for Sony to post it online. If you're playing the PSN version and you get the prompt for the update, come back here and let us know.

just to clarify, do you have to buy the dlc to get the pausing update?

Nope, it's in the Title Update. You'll get the option to pause the cutscenes if you buy the DLC or not.

Sweet, a DLC that provides more story! Double fine should really do this more often (for their current and future games).

This may be a stupid question, but I noticed something weird on my profile. I was just on Xbox.com taking a look at my achievements and saw that my Costume Quest had an extra 50 points possible...but I haven't downloaded the DLC (don't worry, I definitely will!).

Did I miss something?

This may be a stupid question, but I noticed something weird on my profile. I was just on Xbox.com taking a look at my achievements and saw that my Costume Quest had an extra 50 points possible...but I haven't downloaded the DLC (don't worry, I definitely will!).

Did I miss something?

This shows up for any game with DLC that adds achievements. It's the same on PS3 where the trophy list is expanded. We didn't add this but more of a system wide thing.

This shows up for any game with DLC that adds achievements. It's the same on PS3 where the trophy list is expanded. We didn't add this but more of a system wide thing.

Works for me, I was going to buy it anyways. I imagine it would suck for someone who wasn't planning to buy DLC for a game but had 100

Glad you're enjoying it!

We have not been able to reproduce the sound glitch you're speaking of. The transformation sound is playing in all situations that we've tried. We've talked to many people who have done complete playthroughs at home, and this hasn't come up. One person mentioned a garbled sound issue and later discovered that he had a loose cable. Maybe check to see that your cables are all plugged tight?

If you can give us any more info on this, we'll keep looking. (please post it to this thread though: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/3929/)

I loved it. Had a ton of fun, and I can't wait to see how they get out of their current predicament.

I downloaded the DLC this morning and started the game. I hit continue and was still right at the end where you fight Big Bones. I wondered around a bit to try and figure out how to get to the DLC. I couldn't figure it out. I even went and defeated Big Bones again thinking maybe it would begin afterwards (the credits had the grubbins on ice logo shown when they started and I double checked to make sure I had indeed downloaded it. I turned off the xbox and googled my problem, eventually I found someone who was also a bit confused about how to access the content. All the replies just said to start a new games and you'll have the option to start the DLC. I was afraid to do this because it kept warning me that my save would be deleted. Well I hit start new game and it did not give me an option and my save was deleted. Awesome. I went and redownloaded the DLC but this time the main menu changed and had the logos for both costume quest and grubbins on ice and gave me the option to start the DLC, but now my old save is gone.

Does the old save carry over into the DLC? I notice I am on lvl 10 but I am missing the Unicorn and Pumpkin costumes, as well as all of my stamps etc. Do I have to replay the main game again and then start a new game with the DLC to have them?

Yes. The old save carries over. All of the costumes and battle stamps that you have in the regular game will still be available to you. It doesn't just automatically give you everything, though. It will only give you the items that you have already obtained, or that are necessary for completion of the dlc.

@Eightcell: Sorry you lost your save! It sounds like the patch didn't apply or something before you hit start. To answer your question, your old save file stuff DOES carry over to the new save. There are separate save files for the original Costume Quest and Grubbins on Ice. You can go back and play your old save at any time and anything you get (besides candy and XP) will carry over to your new save, no matter where you are in the DLC. It works for costumes, Creepy Treat Cards and Battle Stamps. ;)

What I was saying (and maybe not being too clear about) is that if you haven't gotten it in the main game yet, then you won't have it in the dlc (unless it's necessary for the dlc to be completed. If you start the dlc without finishing the main game, then you will be confined to the costumes and battle stamps that you had up to that point. However, I think that the Battle Stamp store in the dlc sells all of the battle stamps.

just out of curiosity, why do we humble ps3 owners get everything late? i want to spend money on dlc too >:(

The DLC and patch were submitted and approved by both companies at the same time. It's up to the console maker when the content appears on their store.

Praise yourself lucky, X360 title updates have bugs (not only Costume Quest), games that saw an early X360 release get more content and more polished game on PS3 and PS3 has permanent price reductions.

I'm a WiiPS3X360 owner xD

might you have any insight as to why they would choose to delay the release longer than their competitor does? doesn't make much sense to me, but oh well

No clue, that's not a Double Fine decision.

I'm on PS3 and i've just got the update for the saving features and what-not ^-^ Got to say, it's very handy and usefull. So good plan batman ;) Can't wait till the DLC pack comes out on PS3.

Sign in to follow this