• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
Double Fine QA

Title Update/Patch notes.

Hey guys,

There has been some reports coming in after the Title Update that some folks cannot complete the Fry quest in Fall Valley. While we are researching the issue, we wanted everyone to know that this issue does NOT happen at all when playing from a new save file from the beginning of the game nor will it prevent you from using the Fry costume if you have patched after this puzzle has been completed. So if you have yet to play the game, your playthrough will be totally fine.

While we research this issue to find out exactly why some users are experiencing this issue, this thread will be used for any post regarding the issue and any other post in any other topic will be moved here.

Thanks for your patience with this issue if you are in the group experiencing this. If you have yet to install the title update on the 360, just make sure you are offline while playing and install the update after you regain all your costumes in Fall Valley or on PS3 just make sure you are past this point when the patch is released and you will be fine.

Again: If you are starting a new game, this issue will not affect your play though.

It as affected me and I don't think it is fair to have to play through the whole game all over again, just because YOUR patch broke the game. Notice I said BROKE?

Just give me my 800 points back and I'll move along.

I don't see the big deal over having to replay the game again to get back to the point where it bugged out. it's a short game, and it's only 2/3rds of the way through. You can easily get back to Fall Valley in about an hour or two. besides, this can give you a chance to play as a different character and see new dialogue, or even dialogue you might have missed~ 8P

Also Hot he can't get a refund from the PS store since he has the Xbox version hurp 8U

Microsoft has a no refund policy. you have to have a very good reason (like Xmas 2007 when Live was down for a week and MS made a arcade game free for a week). nor are you entitled a reimbursement

you have better chance asking for a Grubbins on Ice download code or other marketplace stuff. though I wouldn't get my hopes up

Microsoft has a no refund policy. you have to have a very good reason (like Xmas 2007 when Live was down for a week and MS made a arcade game free for a week). nor are you entitled a reimbursement

you have better chance asking for a Grubbins on Ice download code or other marketplace stuff. though I wouldn't get my hopes up

oh yeah the patch isn't even available on ps3 yet

if microsoft doesn't give you what you want you can also try the publisher, http://www.thq.com/

It as affected me and I don't think it is fair to have to play through the whole game all over again, just because YOUR patch broke the game. Notice I said BROKE?

Just give me my 800 points back and I'll move along.

This post is mostly for new users getting the game and how people can avoid it if they haven't patched yet. We are still researching what can be done for current people experiencing the problem.

I don't see the big deal over having to replay the game again to get back to the point where it bugged out. it's a short game, and it's only 2/3rds of the way through. You can easily get back to Fall Valley in about an hour or two. besides, this can give you a chance to play as a different character and see new dialogue, or even dialogue you might have missed~ 8P

Also Hot he can't get a refund from the PS store since he has the Xbox version hurp 8U

The big deal is that my time is valuable and with the amount of games that are NOT broken, it is just not worth it to replay a game to get past a point that the DEVELOPER broke.

Obviously, there wasn't enough QA before this patch was sent out the door. There's no reason why I should be held accountable for that. I did my part for the developer by actually buying the game.

These days, word of mouth is a crucial thing. Is figuring out a way to get me my 800 points back worth the amount of negativity that I could possibly spread just by casually talking about the poor QA on Double Fine games? How about the fact that if this isn't made good, a previously loyal customer has now been permanently lost?

It seems like a fairly simple equation to me. Good customer service can reap enormous good will. Bad customer service has a habit of festering and growing.

geez- calm down. Obviously the developers didn't want to introduce this bug. You lost 2 hours tops that you can easily recover by starting a new game. Also, grow up- in the real world, mistakes happen. Sometimes on things a lot more critical than a video game. And usually in those instances, no one's there to say- we'll look into it, or we'll fix it for you.

geez- calm down. Obviously the developers didn't want to introduce this bug. You lost 2 hours tops that you can easily recover by starting a new game. Also, grow up- in the real world, mistakes happen. Sometimes on things a lot more critical than a video game. And usually in those instances, no one's there to say- we'll look into it, or we'll fix it for you.
I detect winrawr.

Wrong. In the real world, when someone purchases a defective product, they're allowed to return it.

Say you bought a coffee maker from Target. You brought it home, it turns on, but it won't make coffee. What you do? Would you say to yourself, "hey mistakes happen" and go buy another one? Nope, you'd take it back and get a different brand.

tikara, acefox, when someone feels they're entitled to a refund, it's always better to just try to help them get it than argue with them. i'm serious.

there are no copyright restrictions on a coffee maker. there are copyright restrictions on video games and other artistic work. try return a dvd or cd to target.

call microsoft and thq. if you still want to talk about this please make a new thread.

tikara, acefox, when someone feels they're entitled to a refund, it's always better to just try to help them get it than argue with them. i'm serious.

there are no copyright restrictions on a coffee maker. there are copyright restrictions on video games and other artistic work. try return a dvd or cd to target.

call microsoft and thq. if you still want to talk about this please make a new thread.

I'm not attempting to break copyright. I bought the game fair and square.

Dude, if you're looking for a refund this is not the place. Go try the publishers, or Sony or Microsoft depending on what version you have

I recommend y'all just calm yourself down and wait a bit, though. It's a small bug, it hasn't made game unplayable or anything, and I'm sure DF will get on top of it if you give it a few days or so

. It's a small bug, it hasn't made game unplayable or anything, and I'm sure DF will get on top of it if you give it a few days or so

If you're at a certain point, it HAS made the game unplayable. I wouldn't call that a small bug.

DF wrote the code and "completed" the QA. Why aren't they responsible?

No, it makes one save file unplayable. Just start a new game, QA guy up here already said it won't affect a new save file. It's not like CQ is a 54 hour-long epic.

And sometimes even after they do QA, problems can still arise. It's not possible for them to replicate every problem that can come up. That's why users send in feedback. These guys are human too, okay. Mistakes happen. They're aware of the problem. They're going to fix it.

They are being responsible. Just wait, a solution will come up.

No, it makes one save file unplayable. Just start a new game, QA guy up here already said it won't affect a new save file. It's not like CQ is a 54 hour-long epic.

And sometimes even after they do QA, problems can still arise. It's not possible for them to replicate every problem that can come up. That's why users send in feedback. These guys are human too, okay. Mistakes happen. They're aware of the problem. They're going to fix it.

They are being responsible. Just wait, a solution will come up.

CQ is a fairly simplistic game. It's not like this bug appears only after a very complicated series of events that are optional. It happens through completing a mandatory part of the game.

Again, just because CQ is fairly simple doesn't mean it grants the developers powers that let them foresee future problems. Updates and DLC always tend to be game-breaking, no matter what the game, and you're just going to have to bear with it for the meantime.

Except in CQ's case you don't have to because theres a workaround for the current problem, which is starting a new game

I gotta side with spencer here....I bought this game for my six year old daughter to play as I thought she'd like it and it'd help her reading. Yeah this is a simple little game that an adult with nothing else to do can get through in an hour or so, but for my little girl it represents a big investment of time and effort (what with school and all).

Now I'm supposed to tell her she's got to start all over again (or start it over myself, play the whole thing through up to that point and hope I get the same stamps and stuff she got so she doesn't notice like on those sitcoms where the kid's canary dies and the parent goes out and tries to buy a matching one)? Pretty lame work-around guys, if this is it. I can see the fix is in on getting a refund, but I probably won't pick up one of your games again, nor will I recommend them.

I gotta side with spencer here....I bought this game for my six year old daughter to play as I thought she'd like it and it'd help her reading. Yeah this is a simple little game that an adult with nothing else to do can get through in an hour or so, but for my little girl it represents a big investment of time and effort (what with school and all).

Now I'm supposed to tell her she's got to start all over again (or start it over myself, play the whole thing through up to that point and hope I get the same stamps and stuff she got so she doesn't notice like on those sitcoms where the kid's canary dies and the parent goes out and tries to buy a matching one)? Pretty lame work-around guys, if this is it. I can see the fix is in on getting a refund, but I probably won't pick up one of your games again, nor will I recommend them.

Again, this thread was made for two reasons. #1 to let new players know that this issue won't affect them and #2 that we are still looking into helping people that are currently having the problem. These things don't happen overnight but we are looking into the issue.

Man, when I was 6 I played the first 4 or so levels of Sonic the Hedgehog every freaking day. I think everyone, no matter what time they are born should have an old console before they play new games.

There is a code to put into your Xbox to take off all updates do that beat it offline and then enjoy you don't need to be a rocket scientist to know this. I’m all for busting qa’s chops but I think this is downright the dumbest reason to get mad when the fix for now is as easy as 123. X,X,Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X,X. enter this code in your memory part of your xbox and proceed to play offline when you finish fry level reinstall update and enjoy the rest of your day I got your back qa.

EDIT: Don't say I never help now.

There is a code to put into your Xbox to take off all updates do that beat it offline and then enjoy you don't need to be a rocket scientist to know this. I’m all for busting qa’s chops but I think this is downright the dumbest reason to get mad when the fix for now is as easy as 123. X,X,Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X,X. enter this code in your memory part of your xbox and proceed to play offline when you finish fry level reinstall update and enjoy the rest of your day I got your back qa.

EDIT: Don't say I never help now.

go to system settings >> memory >> press Y (device options) >> clear system cache

to no avail... clearing the cache will delete the title update, tthe quest will still be bugged

I started a new game at 5 PM yesterday, finished it around 10 PM, and 2 hours later, the DLC.

no bugs at all, nothing

I played some Costume Quest this weekend and was in the same scenario that would cause the fry issue (I had saved somewhere in the mall). I wanted to clarify the first comment. You don't have to turn your XBOX offline manually to play normally, you only need to choose "Cancel" when it asks you if you want to apply the patch. This will sign you out automatically. You can then continue the game normally and finish your game... and then apply the patch later.

I played some Costume Quest this weekend and was in the same scenario that would cause the fry issue (I had saved somewhere in the mall). I wanted to clarify the first comment. You don't have to turn your XBOX offline manually to play normally, you only need to choose "Cancel" when it asks you if you want to apply the patch. This will sign you out automatically. You can then continue the game normally and finish your game... and then apply the patch later.

How would I remove the update before proceeding to this step? Thanks V much for the help.

How would I remove the update before proceeding to this step? Thanks V much for the help.

if you already have the update, you remove it in system settings >> memory >> press Y (device options) >> clear system cache

obviously, this will remove all title updates for all your games. come to think of it, your Xbox360 keeps title updates of your last 15-20ish played games. all older title updates are automatically removed

Many thanks! I'm looking forward to trying this out tonight.

edit: welp, I'd forgotten that I actually purchased the game at a friend's house, so it's stuck in demo mode while I'm off xbox live. Talk about luck! I suppose i could bring my HD to his place later this week, but eh...I'll wait for the fix patch. Please hurry!