• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
Double Fine QA

Title Update/Patch notes.

I played some Costume Quest this weekend and was in the same scenario that would cause the fry issue (I had saved somewhere in the mall). I wanted to clarify the first comment. You don't have to turn your XBOX offline manually to play normally, you only need to choose "Cancel" when it asks you if you want to apply the patch. This will sign you out automatically. You can then continue the game normally and finish your game... and then apply the patch later.

Hi,

This does not work if the player has a save game in the world area where the fry quest exists. Considering that they pass save posts on their way to the quest, it is fairly common to assume the player has saved after they have beaten the mall. I believe there is even an auto-save that takes place upon first entering this world.

At this point, I think it would be a good service to your community to give some kind of indication of when to expect this to be addressed. (ie - days, weeks, months, never) so that people can stop staring at these forums trying to come up with an answer. The thread view count verifies an anomaly of interest level.

Thanks.

just to add my 50 cents. I know it is a short game but IMHO it is NOT an option to ask players to restart it. I understand that you guys at DoubleFine played it through zillions of times, but for me it is just one game I bought and just want to have fun with - and being stuck at 2/3rd of the game because of a faulty update is very disappointing. And I am not going to replay it, I will just leave it as it is - there are so many games to play with and so little time, it is just not worth it regardless of the fact that I really enjoyed it so far.

...but I am quite positive that you are busy working on an update (I am sure it shouldn't be too difficult), but please keep us posted of the progress. Thanks!

nichtma

Guys, guys, remember it's not the developer's option that having to restart the game is the only current workaround. It's not their option that you're not having fun because a problem came up out of the blue

Just hang in there, okay? They'll fix it. But if you have new problems you should totally tell them while they're fixing it, it's a good time to make sure they don't come up in the future

The last official post about this problem was on the 9th of Dec (suggesting to restart the game). I understand if a fix takes longer, but some news on the progress would be appreciated. That's what we all miss most I guess.

nichtma

Hi,

As developer I know that this kind of bug is low priority one, but please let us know when do you expect to release new Patch that will solve "French fires" problem.

Best regards

Szypul

I'm with sdcomer. My girlfriend's kids and I have been making our way through this game, and I'd love to be able to give them some narrowing clue as to when the "patch for the patch" might happen. Before X-mas? In the new year? Never?

Starting over from scratch isn't really a viable option. Saying it's no big deal and that it would only take three or four hours to regain all of the progress is pretty cold comfort, given that an evening's gaming with them (after homework, checking homework, chores, making and eating dinner, showers, dessert, brushing teeth, et al) is maybe half an hour before the girls have to go to bed.

And, yes, I could bore through the whole game again up to that point by myself, but the principled fact is that I shouldn't have to. A patch broke the game, and a patch ought to be able to fix whatever changed; at least, that's how my untrained non-game-programmer eyes see it.

If that's not the case, tell us, please, so we can move onto the next game in our backlogs and forget this.

If that IS the case, just throw us a bone and ignore how inexact a science predictions tend to be, and let us know if we're in for days or weeks or months of waiting.

Pretty please?

I played some Costume Quest this weekend and was in the same scenario that would cause the fry issue (I had saved somewhere in the mall). I wanted to clarify the first comment. You don't have to turn your XBOX offline manually to play normally, you only need to choose "Cancel" when it asks you if you want to apply the patch. This will sign you out automatically. You can then continue the game normally and finish your game... and then apply the patch later.

Hi,

This does not work if the player has a save game in the world area where the fry quest exists. Considering that they pass save posts on their way to the quest, it is fairly common to assume the player has saved after they have beaten the mall. I believe there is even an auto-save that takes place upon first entering this world.

At this point, I think it would be a good service to your community to give some kind of indication of when to expect this to be addressed. (ie - days, weeks, months, never) so that people can stop staring at these forums trying to come up with an answer. The thread view count verifies an anomaly of interest level.

Thanks.

Gabe's post is referring to if you have not already updated to the patch yet. By your post, you have. If you haven't gotten the update (it will ask you) just say "no" and play the game offline and that is what his post is talking about.

These things don't happen overnight and I only want to post when I have solid information. I can post each day and say "we are working on it" but that's not really helpful. The problem affects a small group of folks and we are working on what we can do to help them out. When we have good solid information about it, we will post it here so that folks are kept up to date. Thanks for your patience.

Peeps- if you're stuck with the fry costume, just start a new game. What's two hours versus the unknown amount of time it will take to get another patch?

I'm wondering if this is actually even a problem, or just a handful of people who created multiple accounts..

It's only an issue if you patched prior to getting the fry costume, am I right?

It does appear to have happened only if you have a savegame prior to the fries costume, then move onto that section after the update.

For those saying 2 hours, I can attest to the fact that I have invested a lot more time than 2 hours. I am a bit of a completist, and want to ensure I grab all cards, complete all quests, etc so that I can acquire all the achievements. I am sure you can get back there by buzzing through the story, but that is not the way I play, especially a game of this nature.

I am happy to wait to hear further news on a fix (or otherwise). What I won't be doing is purchasing the DLC until such times as I know this is resolved (apart from anything, I don't know whether the DLC will affect any future fix).

Gabe's post is referring to if you have not already updated to the patch yet. By your post, you have. If you haven't gotten the update (it will ask you) just say "no" and play the game offline and that is what his post is talking about.

These things don't happen overnight and I only want to post when I have solid information. I can post each day and say "we are working on it" but that's not really helpful. The problem affects a small group of folks and we are working on what we can do to help them out. When we have good solid information about it, we will post it here so that folks are kept up to date. Thanks for your patience.

Understood.

From your experience, how long does this sort of issue typically take to sort out? (Weeks, months, etc).

Helping your customers understand the process, and setting proper expectations regarding when to expect a solution will ultimately benefit everyone.

Captain! My smarm meter is off the charts! There is some serious smarm in the vicinity!

anyone remember this: http://www.suckerpunch.com/bug/

anyway, i think he's saying that it's affecting a small amount of people relative to the number that own the game. since it doesn't affect new saves, this is a problem that is not going to grow either. a handful of people on a handful of forums are just not a lot of people.

that said, people who are trivializing this should shut up. it is annoying regardless of how many people it affects. QA guy said that they are doing what they can. i don't work for double fine, but i think it's safe to say that it can be very difficult to honestly give an assurance or an ETA when you haven't entirely worked out the problem yet.

edit: this was responding to a post that seems to have been deleted

Wow, hey, is it me or do all these whiny baby posts sound exactly the same? Even the names are similar. Are we dealing with a very persistent parent?

Seriously, why can't you people wrap your heads around the concept that just because you think this is a simple problem, doesn't mean that it is? I'm surprised anyone is complaining at all, Grubbins on Ice came out on, what, the 9th or something? Its barely been a week. And DF is already on the problem for crissakes! They don't need to hear how much your little pumpkin is going to miss out on game time because a problem that no one could have forseen suddenly came up.

They. Are. Fixing. It. There WILL be a patch to address this problem. It's on its way.

If you have no new problems to report to DF regarding the patch, please refrain from posting

I'm not changing my post. It's better if some snot-nosed kid on the internet tells them what for before QA guy does. You can practically hear QA guy's last nerve about to pop in some of those posts

I'm not changing my post. It's better if some snot-nosed kid on the internet tells them what for before QA guy does. You can practically hear QA guy's last nerve about to pop in some of those posts

We listen to all our users if they are new or old posters here on the forums. You'll see a bunch of new folks here because they ran into the problem and they were looking for a solution and came to the right place to let us know. We wouldn't know of these things if you guys didn't post it here. People run into problems and are allowed to voice their concern. Sure, when some users harp on issues and repeat them over and over again across multiple threads it can be a little annoying but I'm not seeing that here with this issue at all.

What people forget is that you won't get people going out of their way to create new accounts and making threads letting us know that the game is working perfectly for them. All these people go unheard. So it may seem lopsided but it's just that mainly the folks that are creating new accounts and posting are the ones affected and we want to see if we can help them.

We do not ignore these gamers nor do we not want them to post here voicing their opinions, in fact we welcome it if done in a mature manner. We are working on helping them and understand their frustration but as I stated earlier, these things don't just happen overnight... we are researching the issue, and we will post when we know something solid.

Well, as long as we all remember that Carl and his problems are more important than us and ours, I'm sure everything will be fine.

Thanks for the updates and the patience, Admin.

hehehe, funny to see fanboys solving and explaining development, QA and community mgmnt related issues. :) just because you post a lot of stuff on internet forums you shouldn't try to do that. maybe get a life instead?

as Admin said I am here because I ran into the problem and I want a solution, and this is the place to come for one. will follow the thread until we have it. thanks for the updates.

nichtma

hehehe, funny to see fanboys solving and explaining development, QA and community mgmnt related issues. :) just because you post a lot of stuff on internet forums you shouldn't try to do that. maybe get a life instead?

as Admin said I am here because I ran into the problem and I want a solution, and this is the place to come for one. will follow the thread until we have it. thanks for the updates.

nichtma

hey shut up buddy. this is the internet, voted #1 best place for speculation and misinformation.

I really hate to stir the pot even more (especially since I know all the fan boys on this forum are just going to flame me), but I can't be the only one who doesn't like the answer "these things don't happen overnight."

First off, Double Fine is not a huge company. From what I can tell, you are working on one new game right now, and maybe some more Costume Quest DLC. So, um...why CAN'T this be fixed overnight? I for one would definitely have to put in some mandatory overtime at my job if I made a huge mistake like you guys did. The bottom line is your patch created a game-breaking bug and it should be fixed right away. You guys should be doing everything in your power to fix this and fix it soon. Even worse, you still have not even said for sure if this problem is even going to get fixed or not. You're aware of the problem, yeah, but you have not assured anyone with the problem that it's going to get fixed. It's also naive to refer to the group of people that are experiencing this problem as being "small." Have you looked at the number of hits that this particular thread has received? Have you tried searching for "Costume Quest french fry lure" on Google? Users on Team Xbox, Xbox 360 Achievements.org, Yahoo!, etc., are all experiencing this problem. Surely it's not ONLY affecting people that are talking about it on messageboards. In fact, this is the first time I've ever even posted on a video game messageboard - period. That leads me to believe that there are others in the same boat as me that you will never even know about.

And to all the fan boys who are just going to reply by saying that we should all just suck it up and restart the game - that to me is basically the same as Steve Jobs saying "you're holding it wrong" in regards to the big iPhone 4 issue that happened earlier this year. Sorry to break it to you, but it's not unheard of to spend money on something and expect it to WORK. Apple lost my business with the way they handled their PR, and Double Fine is going to lose mine as well if they don't fix this problem in a timely manner. Or at the very least, just tell us that it can't be fixed. And yeah, yeah...I know Apple losing the sale of one iPhone 4 means absolutely nothing. But Double Fine losing business from someone who purchased Brutal Legend on day one (who was planning on purchasing all Costume Quest DLC as well as Stacking when it's released) has got to mean something to a small developer. Hell, I'm sure there are people that are slightly interested in buying Costume Quest, but are deciding to skip it after stumbling across all the "game-breaking bug" threads plastered on various websites. To me, it just doesn't seem worth the risk.

flame flame pew pew without testing a quick overnight fix could cause other problems flame flame double fine really isn't as small as you think pew pew

Seriously though, QA guy, we really appreciate that you take the time to post here, but this guy's right. You could be a little more straightforward in your answers. Why not just let us know what you think the likelihood of this getting fixed anytime soon is?

I think it's because DF or QA guy don't know exactly what's wrong yet. This may or may not be alot more of a problem than anyone initially suspected, and probably why it's only coming up now even after all the testing and QA etc. etc. Could be something that's not on DF's end, maybe something up with Xbox's system like the avatar/achievement deal

But yeah, honestly if this is such a huge issue with some people, and it's apparent that a fix is not coming out soon, why not just start a new game? Maybe if enough people actually took the time to start a new game, eventually one of you may come across something that connects the bug and workaround and maybe DF might be able to get something done with that feedback. Coming here and yelling at the developers isn't going to accomplish anything

Hi All,

I have been really enjoying Costume Quest. Unfortunately I also got caught out by the same bug as everybody else.

Can any of the double fine people provide any more insight into when/if we can expect a fix for this issue?

Cheers,

Keir

Tim: So the known issue is if you do the patch and you're in the middle of playing Costume Quest, if you have a save game in the middle of Costume Quest and you do the patch and you get to the part where you need the Fry costume to lure people, the Fry - the luring won't work.

Gabe: Yes. The patch slightly alters the way the save system works, and there was a tiny little piece of metadata in the Fry costume that got affected somehow.

Tim: Yeah. Not even data. Metadata.

[they joke about it and then apologize]

Tasha: The other thing is that we're looking into fixing it and it's… it costs money.

Tim: Well it's not our money. We have to get someone else to spend a whole bunch of money.

Gabe: The bug takes five minutes to fix. But then it has to be tested for like a week.

Tim: It's like, tens of thousands of dollars… which we would spend if we had it, but we don't.

Gabe: And then it's got to go through like four different companies and it's the holidays so everyone is like off for a few months.

Tim: And grumpy. Super grumpy.

[more joking]

from the podcast

i await your indignation

I sure hope that this game gets a patch soon. At least keeping us informed about the patch would be nice. I bought this game last night (to play over Christmas break) and today it is unplayable past this part. Very disappointing and I will think twice before future game purchases...