Sign in to follow this  
Double Fine QA

Title Update/Patch notes.

I sure hope that this game gets a patch soon. At least keeping us informed about the patch would be nice. I bought this game last night (to play over Christmas break) and today it is unplayable past this part. Very disappointing and I will think twice before future game purchases...

The bug doesn't affect new save files. If you bought the game after the patch was released you should be unaffected.

The bug doesn't affect new save files. If you bought the game after the patch was released you should be unaffected.

Thank you for the reply,

I downloaded the demo about a month ago, then I bought the full game (or the unlock key) last night. When I started the game it did not say anything about a patch and we played till it was time to see the Lunar Eclipse :). This morning I started up the game and there was a patch, so I applied it. Now I have the trouble. I wish there was a way to back the patch off, but I am not going to have to wait for another patch I guess.

I sure hope that this game gets a patch soon. At least keeping us informed about the patch would be nice. I bought this game last night (to play over Christmas break) and today it is unplayable past this part. Very disappointing and I will think twice before future game purchases...

the ps3 patch is available today. he probably has that version.

the ps3 patch is available today. he probably has that version.

Nah he had a save file from the Demo if you read above your post

Hi, I have the PS3 version of Costume Quest, and have now also been affected by this bug. I don't recall if I was given an option on whether or not I wanted to install the patch, I just recall it telling me I needed to in order to play. (Not that I would have known not to install it.)

Unfortunately, I had JUST arrived in Fall Valley yesterday, so now I'm totally stuck. I'm going to agree with some of the others that I really don't want to have to start over again, after combing each of the areas to do/find everything. I definitely played way more than 2 hours...

I hope this issue is addressed fairly quickly, because although I was enjoying the game greatly, I won't be continuing or purchasing the new content until a fix has been released.

Nice to see that other people are having this issue:) So I don't have to complain again. But seriously, starting Costume Quest over again is kinda an uncool proposition. The combat is pretty monotonous with just the first two costumes. I really don't wanna do that again...

C'mon Double Fine! I believe you will patch this asap!

Am liking the game a ton though. I don't care if you create game breaking patches as long as you fix it though. I won't get into the discussion over whether or not it's a developer's responsibility, blah, blah, blah...

In the meantime, I guess I'll just go play Warrior Within HD some more. Still, it would make a heck of a Christmas present to get an update that fixes your last update in a timely manner. If it worked, I'd love this update - the save stations seriously should've been there from the start. :)

Nice to see that other people are having this issue:) So I don't have to complain again. But seriously, starting Costume Quest over again is kinda an uncool proposition. The combat is pretty monotonous with just the first two costumes. I really don't wanna do that again...

C'mon Double Fine! I believe you will patch this asap!

Am liking the game a ton though. I don't care if you create game breaking patches as long as you fix it though. I won't get into the discussion over whether or not it's a developer's responsibility, blah, blah, blah...

In the meantime, I guess I'll just go play Warrior Within HD some more. Still, it would make a heck of a Christmas present to get an update that fixes your last update in a timely manner. If it worked, I'd love this update - the save stations seriously should've been there from the start. :)

If you read about the fix was very quick, the problem is XBLA titles have to go through several weeks of testing before they can be pushed out and it costs lots of money.

I did read that. I don't care about XBLA titles' certification process(personally, I was more concerned with Double Fine saying that it would cost money they don't necessarily have). I was playing on PS3 - Warrior Within HD isn't available on Xbox 360. And I believe Sony is more lax than Microsoft - that's why New Vegas' patch came out on PC/PS3 first.

At any rate, eff it. I ended up starting over from scratch and I got up to the mall while listening to a few, looooong, podcasts. Frickin' Giant Bomb and 8-4 Play almost filled up 2 hours EACH. Although I didn't enjoy it; I skipped every cutscene, ran from many fights, skipped looking for stuff, etc. etc. etc. This is not the way the game was meant to be played:(

I played and finished the game shortly after it was released (for 360), and it does NOT take a mere 2 hours to get to the village if you're shooting for all the achievements along the way. It will take quite a bit longer.

After my first play-through, I restarted with the other sibling just as an excuse to play it again. (There isn't any other replay value here except for another playthrough with the brother/sister you didn't use before (and even then, it's slim pickin's. Your companions' models have a sex-change, and most of the dialog is identical. You're basically replaying the same experience with minor alterations.))

That's fine with me though, my first experience was enjoyable enough to do it again, like watching a re-run of a show I liked. Although this show was filled with dozens of un-skippable repetitive content, it was just enough fun to do it again. And if something else looked more appealing in the meantime, no big deal, I don't need to finish CQ again to make my life complete. Other games await!

But then: I got as far as almost finishing the construction area of the mall this morning, and when I fired it up again tonight I noticed that there was some DLC available: bonus! I get to replay my experience, and I can purchase more content! New stuff, in the framework that held my attention for so long! Joy! So I bought it.

When I reloaded the game, there was an update, and I applied it (as pretty much everyone does). I start on completing the mall... A couple-of-hour-ish's later, I'm in the village again, none of the french-fry-freaks are responding to my phrench-phry-pheromones. I then read that my only recourse is to restart the whole ordeal: when I have just earned a full party(!), and have earned all those stamps and costumes, and have some kind of end-game strategy, I have to start the whole friggin thing over again? This game has transformed from a game into an irritating douchbag-simulation.

I'm writing this just so that someone may read it and understand my frustration. I'm not out to crucify the dev, and I ain't defending the apologists (obviously), and I don't want to feed fuel to flamers or trolls.

But: I was given a great game (which I paid for, with hard-earned money), and then it was taken away from me just after I believed in it more (by buying the DLC, with more hard-earned money). Doublefine's lack of support for this issue is a slap in the face for anyone who has supported them by buying their games.

In the past, Doublefine has shown that they care about their games, and about the gamers that consume their product. Still, I am extremely p1ss3d that I can't access the extra-awesomeness that I just paid extra-money for, without starting yet-again from scratch.

This forum has shown us typical "caveat venditor," with so many users feeling burned; when can we be assured Doublefine isn't operating on "caveat emptor," so those of us who are suffering can still believe that we can play the game we paid for?

i don't think "caveat venditor" is appropriate, since double fine has your money and is under no obligation to fix the bug

anyway, i understand your need to vent. if it's any consolation, you can play the dlc without finishing the main game. just select "grubbins on ice" from the "start new game" menu.

So again, is there any sollution for this problem? I bought this game two months ago, but i started playing about week ago. Few days ago i reached Valley, but I face this problem yesterday, just after the game patched up. I can't lure kids to french fries too, and I don't want to start game over again. Besides, i can have this bug again in second playthrough, cause i started to play first time a week ago, not before 7th december...

Ok, so reading from here, sounds like there won't be a patch to fix this game-breaking bug. So, I guess I'll have to dive in and play the 5 hours I lost hitting every object for candy. I'll do this just because I LOVED the Mall so much so can't wait to leave the suburbs.

But I will do this, only because I really love the game, and want the full experience so I can move onto Grubbins On Ice.

Ok, so reading from here, sounds like there won't be a patch to fix this game-breaking bug. So, I guess I'll have to dive in and play the 5 hours I lost hitting every object for candy. I'll do this just because I LOVED the Mall so much so can't wait to leave the suburbs.

But I will do this, only because I really love the game, and want the full experience so I can move onto Grubbins On Ice.

And...after 3 hours, I've come to the French Fries part. And it works! Yay. Double Fine better be happy for any bug in this specific game, that it's a very short game and easy to speedrun. If this was any other kind of RPG, like when I had to re-do 20 hours of a certain Bioware RPG that I also loved (KOTOR), then there'd be hell to pay.

The prices don't excuse the company. What about the certain bugs in Super Meat Boy, a game made by like 5 guys, who can still somehow patch it on the Steam PC version? Oh wait yeah, PC version... I guess consoles and certificates is a pretty annoying business.

I love this game so much, but right now am playing a few other games and time is a luxury. I really was looking forward to playing Grubbins over the holidays and just don't have the time to replay through a game to get to this point again. When I purchase a game, I don't expect to have to play through twice because of a bug that I am not responsible for. I understand the Double Fine may have the same issue as me time and commitment wise, but it's disappointing. I'm hoping that they will come through for us all and I believe they will. Considering it just won a Spike award and the Grubbins DLC, it would really be in their best interest.

when they release more DLC (which I have a feeling they will) I expect this bug will be fixed in that update

i bet 100 million dollars this is how it'll play out

it was about two months between costume quest and grubbins on ice, so i will also guess we won't get any resolution until february

when they release more DLC (which I have a feeling they will) I expect this bug will be fixed in that update

it was about two months between costume quest and grubbins on ice, so i will also guess we won't get any resolution until february

Getting another DLC depends entirely on how well the first sold i imagine. Here's hoping it sold well... I will buy another DLC just to patch this lol.

Getting another DLC depends entirely on how well the first sold i imagine. Here's hoping it sold well... I will buy another DLC just to patch this lol.

small dlc spoiler: the ending is a huge cliffhanger. i hope it would depend a little on that too.

I experienced the same bug with the french fries costume. I would like to know if I should wait for a new patch, if it will be avaliable soon, or if I must begin the game again. I think that wait two months for the patch wouldn't be reasonable.

anyway, i understand your need to vent. if it's any consolation, you can play the dlc without finishing the main game. just select "grubbins on ice" from the "start new game" menu.

There is no such option for me. You need to beat the game in order to proceed to Repugia. Since I had started a new game, my old one was deleted (though I still have my achievements, the game doesn't otherwise acknowledge that I had already finished it once). Selecting "start a new game" immediately starts a new game and deletes your old one (XBLA version anyway, not sure about PSN).

FYI, I loaded it tonight and there was an update (don't know if this just came out tonight or sometime last week). I applied it, and here's the spoiler: it didn't fix a thing >:(

There is no such option for me. You need to beat the game in order to proceed to Repugia. Since I had started a new game, my old one was deleted (though I still have my achievements, the game doesn't otherwise acknowledge that I had already finished it once). Selecting "start a new game" immediately starts a new game and deletes your old one (XBLA version anyway, not sure about PSN).

Are you sure you have the DLC installed? I just double checked this on my PS3, and it's still possible to start Grubbins on Ice without having a completed save file.

Can someone else double check on Xbox?

Are you sure you have the DLC installed? I just double checked this on my PS3, and it's still possible to start Grubbins on Ice without having a completed save file.

Can someone else double check on Xbox?

I am positive the DLC is installed. I am DLC positive...

I can attempt to repurchase the DLC, and the option I'm given is to "re-download previously purchased content." "This has already been installed..." etc.

Any press of the button while "Start New Game" is highlighted gives you a warning "This will erase your old save," and if you continue, starts you over from zero. I have done this a couple of times tonight (I've obviously given up on Doublefine fixing the problem), there has been no "Grubbins on Ice" option.

Any other 360 user here, please let us know if you accessed the DLC, and how you accessed it, especially if you have encountered the French Fry Bug.

Throw another log onto the 'massive fail' fire.

I do software QA. I understand what it's like to miss a showstopper. I understand the costs involved with fixing a showstopper.

That said, I don't care. I really, really don't. You've committed the one unforgivable sin in software design: you're refusing to fix a massive, game-breaking bug. No, I don't care I can 'just restart'. That's not acceptable. Anyone who suggests that it is has no concept of the value of time. I don't want to play the game over. I want to finish what I started and move on to the next game. That's reasonable. That's rational. That's not 'entitlement'. The bug is simple, and it isn't the customer's fault that console development is expensive because console manufacturers have unreasonable QA requirements (that clearly don't even catch bugs of this magnitude).

I love you guys, DF. Love. Lovelovelove. I've played every game you've ever released, played cheerleader when they were being ignored by the general public. Now? This is a deal breaker. I can't see ever buying or recommending another DF game. If you don't have the funds to fix a game-breaking bug, that's a problem with your business model...and problem that is certain, 100% certain to repeat again. You would -never- buy a product from a company that made anything else that broke, and yet refused to fix it because it'd be 'too expensive'.

You've chosen to say 'we can't afford to fix this, so we aren't going to'. Well, I can't afford to pay for broken games. I had to choose between two or three games when I bought CQ, and I chose CQ because of Double Fine's reputation. Now, I'm paying for that choice.

Can't do it again, DF. Just can't. No way to justify it. I'm sorry the company is doing so poorly that you can't afford to fix things like this. I'm sorry you value your customers' time so little that 'oh, it's only a few hours' is an acceptable fix.

I'm also sorry that I won't be buying another Double Fine game. I was looking forward to Stacking, but I don't have money to throw away on broken games, and there's absolutely no guarantee that we won't wind up right back here again with that title.

the 'massive fail' fire is burning brightly. double fine knows that people are upset. please stop the pointless rants.

Sorry it seems pointless to you. I'd have to say you fall under 'part of the problem'. If DF doesn't want feedback on their games, they should close the forums. Of course, you don't speak for them, so I'm just sayin'.

alright, relax buddy. could you at least be a little more brief next time? you wrote a 400+ word post that amounted to "this is unacceptable, i'm upset"

Well I sucked it up and ended up restarting the game over the long holiday weekend. Good news is that I was finally able to finish it. Bad news is now of course I hit another bug (the avatar awards unlocked but don't work...both the mask & pail just show up as exclamation points...and yes I updated after the notification popped up). I know there's another thread about that issue specifically, but that thread also isn't as highly trafficked as this one.

Double Fine: C'mon...seriously. Get your shit together. Your answer to this problem in the other thread was another cop-out: "it's a Microsoft/Xbox issue, not Double Fine." If that's the case, why do ALL of my other avatar awards (Alan Wake, Red Dead Redemption, etc.) show up perfectly fine EXCEPT yours? Seriously, I've never had this much problem with a game on the 360 as I have with CQ. You guys really need to patch both of these issues and quick. I'm with xdarkridex on this one. If you don't fix these issues soon, I'm definitely not buying Stacking either.

Hey, it's not like DF doesn't want to fix it. They just can't. Not at the moment, at least. They never said they were never going to fix the problem, just that right now and in the near and foreseeable future there's probably not going to be a fix.

Saying you understand why this is a problem and why it's not getting fixed as soon as you like and then saying "well fuck that" makes you look like you know jack shit about QA, buddy.

@zerg: I think this thread might help

@everyone else who feels the need to be a drama queen over a videogame: calm the fuck down. Your teary antics don't help, unless they can pay to change publisher's minds about releasing patches. Seriously, just give it some time. As QA guy said, these things don't happen overnight and if you haven't already guessed, they don't happen in the space of a few weeks either.