• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
Double Fine QA

Title Update/Patch notes.

You've committed the one unforgivable sin in software design: you're refusing to fix a massive, game-breaking bug.

We have never stated that we are refusing to fix the bug. What was stated is that we are aware of the issue, are researching it, and that these things don't happen overnight.

OK, I got the french fry issue on PS3 and can't now finish the game. I'm not going to replay the whole game again, since my time is valuable to me (if a filmmaker wasted three hours of my time by starting over on the first reel after I'd watched most of a movie, I'd walk straight out of the theater) and I'm going to just hope that you can actually come up with a patch that fixes what you've broken at some time in the future. Though I can't really understand how you managed to program a game breaking update, I guess I have a little sympathy for how fixing an epic screw up like that might take a little time. Still and all, just so you know I also will *not* be purchasing the DLC content that I had been planning to purchase as soon as I finished the main story. I'll also probably steer clear of all Doublefine products from here on out, since I'm not really happy with the way you managed to botch this job.

If what I am hearing is correct, that they cannot afford to do an update to fix this. That is just ridiculous thing to hear from a consumer's perspective. I bought a game that should work and it doesn't I would like my money back if that is the case. If anything and this does not get fixed I will remember this in the future that I cannot afford to purchase Double Fine games.

Only admins can edit posts from other people. Please remember this website is for friends and families so play nice and be respectful of others :)

Hey guys,

There has been some reports coming in after the Title Update that some folks cannot complete the Fry quest in Fall Valley. While we are researching the issue, we wanted everyone to know that this issue does NOT happen at all when playing from a new save file from the beginning of the game nor will it prevent you from using the Fry costume if you have patched after this puzzle has been completed. So if you have yet to play the game, your playthrough will be totally fine.

While we research this issue to find out exactly why some users are experiencing this issue, this thread will be used for any post regarding the issue and any other post in any other topic will be moved here.

Thanks for your patience with this issue if you are in the group experiencing this. If you have yet to install the title update on the 360, just make sure you are offline while playing and install the update after you regain all your costumes in Fall Valley or on PS3 just make sure you are past this point when the patch is released and you will be fine.

Again: If you are starting a new game, this issue will not affect your play though.

I have my account and my 2 kids accounts that now will have to be restarted. I can't sit through 3 more play throughs. How the double fine solves this problem will be whether I buy their next arcade game or not. It looks awesome but I don't want to experience this again.

Please make another Pyschonauts game!

Civility shouldn't be limited to just one party, I think

Actually, it's only affecting people who haven't got past a certain point before patching. So yeah, it is affecting only an isolated number of people

It is a huge problem and they're working on it. Some reasons DF has cited for why the patch isn't out yet:

-It's hard justifying the huge cost of fixing one teeny little bit of metadata to publishers. This is the main reason, as the money is in the publisher's hands, not DF's, and they ultimately have the final say in everything

-Even if they did fix it, theres weeks of testing to be done and the patch would have to be run by several different companies for approval or something. Mind you, if the patch were done around mid-December-ish, alot of people would probably be on break and only back in work about now. Meaning if DF submitted the patch for approval, most people would have only gotten to it now

Stopped playing the game after I hit this bug. I've probably been super slow so at that stage I had invested something like 4 hours into the game.

Was as massive fan of DF up to this point and I'm pretty miffed like many others seem to be. Decided to pipe up as no updates other than "we're still looking into it" over nearly a month. If it was any other consumer product with a manufacturing fault it would be replaced/fixed or returned.

Unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. In my opinion at this stage it would be prudent for DF to let us know if the fix for this bug will ever be released (looking through some of the comments it would seem that a fix exists but is logistically held up.). By the weekend many of us will have been sat on this bug for a month.

Stopped playing the game after I hit this bug. I've probably been super slow so at that stage I had invested something like 4 hours into the game.

Was as massive fan of DF up to this point and I'm pretty miffed like many others seem to be. Decided to pipe up as no updates other than "we're still looking into it" over nearly a month. If it was any other consumer product with a manufacturing fault it would be replaced/fixed or returned.

Unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. In my opinion at this stage it would be prudent for DF to let us know if the fix for this bug will ever be released (looking through some of the comments it would seem that a fix exists but is logistically held up.). By the weekend many of us will have been sat on this bug for a month.

I am in the same position. I have stopped playing it as well, and hope that they will fix it soon. I don't know if there's any way to track who purchased CQ, but if there was, the right thing to do would be to give those people a discount on Stacking. This would incentivize us to stick with DF, but also be a great good-will gesture for this error. I would like to finish CQ, but I don't exactly have the 3-4 hours to restart it.

I hope that they do the right thing for thier customers/fans, as this has left a seriously sour taste in my mouth, as I haven't been able to play CQ for a month now, and had to pay $20 (including expansion) just to get stuck just past halfway through!!!

Hang in there, mang. DF's been pretty good about fixing the glitches in all their games. Just getting them past publishers is sometimes a problem.

I'm pretty sure there is going to be a nice, big, fat DLC pack to go with the patch. They did say the bug only takes 5 minutes to fix

I have this for PS3 and love the game. It was good enough for me to decide to re-play the game. I had just finished the mall (my least favorite part) the second time around when this patch came along. I also noticed that Grubbins on Ice was available, so I purchased it in anticipation of the continuation of the story. I got logged in, ready to take on some frozen grubbies and realized that I can't lure with the fry costume.

An internet search led me here and to disappointment. According to the information I've gathered here, I have to either play through the game a *third* time or wait for a patch that may or may not even come. Hmmm. Is there a way I can *un*update my CQ for PS3 just long enough to finish this quest? I doubt it. I do not feel like going through that monotonous trick-or-treating all over again, but I *did* just PAY for an expansion to a stuck game, an expansion that sits patiently for me to make up my mind on whether or not to undertake this restart.

If I restart the game, I will begin to hate it. I played the demo - it was fun. So fun, in fact, that I purchased the game. I then played through the entire game from the beginning (since you don't pick up where you left off in the demo, you start all over), which was still fun - more fun, because I got to continue the game and the storyline. I completed everything and got all the trophies. I enjoyed the game so much, that I decided to play through it again. So, here I am, having played through the neighborhood 3 times and the mall twice already. That's a lot of trick-or-treating - which gets *majorly* boring after doing it so much (I'm *very* good at making the grubbin battles end as quickly as possible). I do not want to do the neighborhood a *4th* time and the mall (which is my least favorite part) a *3rd* time in order to enjoy the Grubbins on Ice expansion.

I don't want to begin to dislike this game. It is for this reason that I hope that there is a patch released soon that will enable those hungry little kids to follow my savory french-fry scent. I know they want it, I can see it in their eyes. They're just being held back by the shock of seeing phone booths appear out of nowhere... yeah, that's it. Just take those booths out of the way, and all will be well =]

You can start Grubbins on Ice even if you've never touched the original game at all. Just select "New Game" and you'll be able to choose from the original version or the Grubbins DLC. Pick Grubbins on Ice to start your new adventure!

New Years is over. If you haven't come up with a resolution by now then I think you should get on with things.

you'd lose 3-4 hours of game time maximum.

I once lost tons of hours of several X360 games because I sent my RROD X360 with HDD. MS wiped the HDD :(

Hello,

I had the same problem on PS3 (french PSN).

I restart a new game and i hope this problem will disappear...

@Dexter

Mind linking the source where you got that quote?

And I suggest you calm down and be patient with the patch. It's better that the patch takes forever to come out but works in the end rather than it come out now and be buggy as hell

Dexter, I know how much you don't want to have to play through the whole game again AGAIN... But, if you go to your 360's system options and clear your cache, then delete Costume Quest and re-download it, then say 'no' when it asks you to download the patch... I can absolutely guarantee it will work, because you'll be playing it unpatched, the way it was when it was first released. Before the whole french fries costume issue ever came up. Although I can totally understand why you wouldn't wanna do that and I apologize for mistakenly telling you that restarting with the patch in place would be fine earlier, but the option is there if you wanna use it. If you wait, though, I think it's highly likely that a new DLC level will come out, and with it will almost certainly be the french fries bug fix.

Once again, sorry!

This won't work. You must start a new game. I am closing this thread until we have anything new to post as it seems it's just going on repeat. All new threads about the fry issue will be closed/deleted and this will be reopened once something new can be said about the issue. We are still looking into the patch.

I hope you are happy. I won't be purchasing Stacking, as fun as it looks, and plan on making sure everyone I know knows how terribly you handle software bugs and your customers. "Sorry we fucked up, just start over and waste a few hours of your time." You can blame it on Xbox testing guidelines/cost analysis all you want, but you're failing to account for lost sales of future titles.

Good day.

I kind of somehow agree with OP

But that is to harsh DF already explained all this

Patching stuff is not easy nor do they have the resources

OP?

I kind of somehow agree with OP

But that is to harsh DF already explained all this

Patching stuff is not easy nor do they have the resources

I understand why the aren't patching it, it's quite expensive to patch, and I know Tim is a good guy. I just hate that programmer who fucked with the saving mechanism and broke a game that was perfectly fine.