• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
Double Fine QA

Title Update/Patch notes.

I kind of somehow agree with OP

But that is to harsh DF already explained all this

Patching stuff is not easy nor do they have the resources

I understand why the aren't patching it, it's quite expensive to patch, and I know Tim is a good guy. I just hate that programmer who fucked with the saving mechanism and broke a game that was perfectly fine.

Thats kind of a dumb thing to say. No one hires programmers who intentionally break stuff. It couldn't even have been an individual's work since it was the DLC/patch that altered the way saves were working

the patch was unnecessary, imo. the game played just fine without

I kinda wished the patch would've broken continuation and "new game". They have to take the patch off of Xbox Live. but then again Grubbins on ice DLC would've probably been delayed.

I could have sworn this guy made a thread...
QA deleted his thread and moved our posts into this thread.

QA deleted his thread and mover our posts into this thread.d

I didn't delete it, I merged it with this thread. I've stated many times that would happen if new threads popped up. This is the thread to talk about this issue. Any other thread that is started and is talking about it will be merged into this one.

QA deleted his thread and moved our posts into this thread.

I didn't delete it, I merged it with this thread. I've stated many times that would happen if new threads popped up. This is the thread to talk about this issue. Any other thread that is started and is talking about it will be merged into this one.

Yeah, that's what I was going for. Hey, like, is merging an easy task as an Admin? Just wondering how it worked. Is it like a drag and drop or is it something to do with a code or something else?

Don't mean to bring this up again, sorry if this has been mentioned before, but you DO NOT need to erase your save game to fix this issue. Just follow these steps and it should get you up and running again!

1. Delete Grubbins on Ice DLC from system memory - you can redownload this later

2. Delete Cache on hard drive by going to memory and pressing (Y) on the device where your saves are located - Note! you will have to re download all of the updates for any games that you own, DLC stays but it can cause problems with games like Crackdown that will report your savegame as being corrupted if it is not the most recent update. This can be fixed by updating any 'broken' games

3. Play costume quest and DECLINE the update, you will be D/C from XBL but you should be able to proceed as normal.

Worked great for me! Hope that it can do the same for you!

I posted this on the Costume Quest Facebook page on Feb 6th. I was linked to this thread by Tasha, who told me that the tech guys would be able to see my issue if I posted it here.

I purchased the game on my PS3 a couple weeks ago but cannot progress because of a serious game breaking bug in Fall Valley. I obtained the French Fry costume and have successfully lured the children to the French Fry cart. However, when I try to lure the birds into the barn, the game quickly fades to a black screen. Then it quickly fades back into the game screen with the birds reset in their original position. I've tried starting a new game, deleting the game from my PS3, redownloading and installing it, and THEN starting a new game without applying the patch and nothing works. I'm completely stuck. Is there anything I can do to get around this? Help! :'(

If needed, I can post a video of the glitch as well. It won't be the most awesome quality ever, but it will be good enough to help visualize the problem.

I'd love to finish the game, so if anyone can help, I'd be incredibly appreciative. Thanks! :)

I posted this on the Costume Quest Facebook page on Feb 6th. I was linked to this thread by Tasha, who told me that the tech guys would be able to see my issue if I posted it here.

I purchased the game on my PS3 a couple weeks ago but cannot progress because of a serious game breaking bug in Fall Valley. I obtained the French Fry costume and have successfully lured the children to the French Fry cart. However, when I try to lure the birds into the barn, the game quickly fades to a black screen. Then it quickly fades back into the game screen with the birds reset in their original position. I've tried starting a new game, deleting the game from my PS3, redownloading and installing it, and THEN starting a new game without applying the patch and nothing works. I'm completely stuck. Is there anything I can do to get around this? Help! :'(

If needed, I can post a video of the glitch as well. It won't be the most awesome quality ever, but it will be good enough to help visualize the problem.

I'd love to finish the game, so if anyone can help, I'd be incredibly appreciative. Thanks! :)

That's weird. I personally haven't had any glitches, so I don't know exactly the best way to solve them. From what I've read around here, if you experience this glitch all you would have to do is restart from a new game. But it sounds like you did that. And even deleting and re-downloaded the game itself didn't help? Check throughout this thread and forums, maybe someone else knows? Or you could try private messaging the Double Fine QA or the moderator Action Shark. Hopefully that helps. Let us know if you find a solution!

Just to add/advise on what Ross said up there, you'll have better luck talking to QA guy. Action Shark hasn't been around for a very long time and I doubt you'll hear anything back from him/her

ORRRR we could just wait for QA guy to respond here so we can all benefit from what he has to say

here's a video so you can compare to what is supposed to happen:

I try to lure the birds into the barn

be more specific here. do you lure them in one at a time?

I've tried standing in front of the rock in between the birds, on either side of the rock next to the birds, and even behind the rock. The result is always the same. It doesn't matter where I stand, as soon as one of the birds starts to move, the screen quickly fades to black. Then quickly fades back to the game and the birds are reset.

Ideally, someone from Double Fine would post in here so we can all benefit. But if I have to, I'll start sending more e-mails and PM if needed.

This is very weird and the first we've heard or read about it. Whats even more odd is that you say it happened on two different save files. If you could attach a video that would good for us to see.

I watched your video. here's what I'm thinking...

in your previous post:

I obtained the French Fry costume and have successfully lured the children to the French Fry cart. However, when I try to lure the birds into the barn, the game quickly fades to a black screen.

Now, in that video of yours, you have not lured the children to the the French fry cart yet. the 3 children are to the right of the French fry cart, in the village.They have to be lured before the crows.

Spoiler warning!

watch 7:40 to 9:00 of this walkthrough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miYVHN5DOxE

I watched your video. here's what I'm thinking...

in your previous post:

I obtained the French Fry costume and have successfully lured the children to the French Fry cart. However, when I try to lure the birds into the barn, the game quickly fades to a black screen.

Now, in that video of yours, you have not lured the children to the the French fry cart yet. the 3 children are to the right of the French fry cart, in the village.They have to be lured before the crows.

Spoiler warning!

watch 7:40 to 9:00 of this walkthrough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miYVHN5DOxE

You're right in that I have to lure the children before the birds and I haven't done that in my video. But during my previous attempts to overcome the bug, I have lured the children before the birds and I still have the same result. Screen fades to black and the birds are reset. If needed, I can make another video that demonstrates that I still have the problem after all the kids have successfully been lured.

Tim Schafer has addressed this problem in another thread: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/4107/. There are no fixes at the moment beyond restarting the game.

I'd read that thread before posting. I'd even tried to apply the work-arounds mentioned and none of them worked. Additionally, my problem was different than what was described originally. If nothing else, I wanted Double Fine to be aware of the problem in the hopes that something could be resolved. It can be a work-around, a patch, or if needed, I'll accept a refund.

Tim Schafer has addressed this problem in another thread: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/4107/. There are no fixes at the moment beyond restarting the game.

Which is what I did last night, I'm just a little disappointed I had to restart the game. Yes, as other people have said it's not the end of the world....nor do I think it is. And reading Tim's latest post about this issue, I now know that no patch will be issued. And I understand why. I can't help but still be frustrated after spending an hour nearly pulling my hair out trying to figure out why the STUPID children weren't following my tantalizing french fry scent.

So is it safe to assume that my problem with Costume Quest will never be resolved? If so, is there a way I could get some sort of refund or credit or something?

The original. I finally decided to finish my playthrough of the game and then this happened. =(

So is it safe to assume that my problem with Costume Quest will never be resolved? If so, is there a way I could get some sort of refund or credit or something?

people have tried to get refunds from double fine before and it doesn't happen. if you go complain to the publisher (THQ) you'll probably have better luck. i once got a free game from EA by complaining to them enough.