Sign in to follow this  
dinnerordie17

Cool Games that are Coming Out

Recommended Posts

I admit complete prejudice against any site that has "chan" in its name.

Except for jackiechan.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So today SQE apparently said that only the first half of FFXV will be open whereas the entire second half will be linear aka FFXIII all over again, just in reverse order.

tumblr_n43ulvQwvi1rskk8io2_500.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FFXV? Is that the game where a boyband is doing a road trip out in redneck county, only for the car to break down, leaving them to fight off scorpions and cattle with giant two hand swords? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CecilRousso said:

FFXV? Is that the game where a boyband is doing a road trip out in redneck county, only for the car to break down, leaving them to fight off scorpions and cattle with giant two hand swords? 

See, I am fine with all of that, as long as it's a JRPG in the classic sense.

If what they mean is "linear" in the FFX sense of "moving in a general direction but there are different branches to explore along the way" then that will be fine.

But if what they mean is "it becomes FFXIII because we refuse to accept that we are wrong about this" then maybe this Titanic deserves to sink.

Edited by AnAnemoneInAnonymity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, AnAnemoneInAnonymity said:

See, I am fine with all of that, as long as it's a JRPG in the classic sense.

If what they mean is "linear" in the FFX sense of "moving in a general direction but there are different branches to explore along the way" then that will be fine.

But if what they mean is "it becomes FFXIII because we refuse to accept that we are wrong about this" then maybe this Titanic deserves to sink.

No worries. There's ample reason to doubt this Titanic will ever leave dry dock. :|

But I'll say, with the four main protagonists essentially being the same person, with maybe an accessory switched and a personality trait added, I also doubt it can be "a JRPG in the classic sense". I'd rather assume the characters will turn out the same kind of abject duds they were in Final Fantasy VIII (IIRC, I'm preaching to the choir), minus even the visual variety. Juuuust four cool Squall squared dudes.

The road trip idea, I think it's effing great for an RPG. But I don't trust SQE with a dollar that they can pull it off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Vainamoinen said:

No worries. There's ample reason to doubt this Titanic will ever leave dry dock. :|

But I'll say, with the four main protagonists essentially being the same person, with maybe an accessory switched and a personality trait added, I also doubt it can be "a JRPG in the classic sense". I'd rather assume the characters will turn out the same kind of abject duds they were in Final Fantasy VIII (IIRC, I'm preaching to the choir), minus even the visual variety. Juuuust four cool Squall squared dudes.

The road trip idea, I think it's effing great for an RPG. But I don't trust SQE with a dollar that they can pull it off.

Yeah, basically. I don't understand people who are in love with FFVIII or *shudder* think it is "the best one". It had some good ideas but they were terribly executed and Squall was a miserable unlikable twat.

Whereas Tidus was like that kid from school that somehow ended up at every party/event/hangout even though no one seemed to like him or could remember inviting him because he was really annoying and was only capable of following conversations if they were about basketball or framed in terms of analogy TO basketball. I feel like this comparison is maybe getting way too specific. TLDR: Tidus sucked, but at least he wasn't emo trash.

Cloud was kind of a boring emo character as well, but he was helped by having a colorful cast around him for contrast, and he did kinda get more interesting over time. FFVIII enthusiasts like to tell me that Squall gets more interesting too, and it would be really nice if I gave enough of a damn about Squall to see the game through to the point where that happens. Not hating his battle system would help a lot, too.

I'm pretty much on board with Sakaguchi at this point. They just need to stop. Those two words just need to be taken away from SQE completely.

I know, I know, I'm doing the internet gamer thing and judging a game before it is out, but SQE over the past decade or so has given me no real reason to believe I am wrong to suspect the worst when it comes to FF.

Edited by AnAnemoneInAnonymity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welp, The Last Guardian gets delayed to December 6th.  That's not good because South Park: The Fractured But Whole and Dead Rising 4 come out on that day too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so excited. The beta for Divinity: Original Sin 2, possibly the closest an RPG has ever gotten to emulating a tabletop game, is coming out on Thursday. The first game was pretty neat, pretty similar to Baldur's Gate, but this one, they're going all out. If even a fraction of the things they were talking about made it into the final game, I'm anticipating this to be the most immersive RPG ever made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a bit interested in Divinity: OS2 also, even though I'm trying to take a break from new purchases the rest of the year other then Civ 6. 

I like games with systems that I can mess around bit. I want that kind of player agency in many more games, so that I can play the games on my terms, and this seems to take that to an extreme that's hopefully very enjoyable. 

Hopefully Chris Avallones involvment means an improvement to the writing, even though he seems to involve himself with so many games that his influence on them can be very unclear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, epic said:

Welp, The Last Guardian gets delayed to December 6th.  That's not good because South Park: The Fractured But Whole and Dead Rising 4 come out on that day too.

Nah, people will still buy it. It's not like the movies where there is a box office weekend or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CecilRousso said:

I'm a bit interested in Divinity: OS2 also, even though I'm trying to take a break from new purchases the rest of the year other then Civ 6. 

I like games with systems that I can mess around bit. I want that kind of player agency in many more games, so that I can play the games on my terms, and this seems to take that to an extreme that's hopefully very enjoyable. 

Hopefully Chris Avallones involvment means an improvement to the writing, even though he seems to involve himself with so many games that his influence on them can be very unclear. 

Well, the game isn't officially being released until January. Right now it's only a beta for kickstarter backers. I may post a review of my thoughts once I've played the beta through.

Edited by Alcoremortis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bad News: South Park Fractured But Whole gets delayed to 2017.

Good News: New RE7 trailer!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

October has an interesting lineup:

Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location

Mafia III

Paper Mario: Color Splash

Gears of War 4

WWE 2K17

Playstation VR

Battlefield 1

Civilization VI

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2

Titanfall 2

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition

The final Hitman 2016 Episode

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of that list I've only gotten Mafia III and am planning on getting Battlefield 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, epic said:

October has an interesting lineup:

...

Civilization VI

...

I have set aside the next weekend for Civilization VI with a friend! I'm really looking forward to it. We had so much fun with Civilization V: Brave New World, and it's the guy (Ed Beach) who made the expansion who is helming VI. Everything that I've seen about the game so far looks really smart and fun, and I hope it will be great.

And Norway is actually one of the 19 countries in the game, which is quite surprising. They have never been in a Civ game before. (Except for being included as part of the vikings.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone seen the demo for Little Nightmares?

Looks stylish as hell! I'm super interested!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dishonored 2 is coming out soon. I've mastered the first game so bring on a new challenge!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AnAnemoneInAnonymity said:

Anyone seen the demo for Little Nightmares?

Looks stylish as hell! I'm super interested!

 

JESUS CHRIST I HATE QUOTING ON THIS FORUM

Yes, I've seen it very shortly after gamescom. And I'll say... it may even be too creepy for my taste. That demo freaked me out. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing about Little Nightmares, it was made by a developer team who helped Media Molecule and Sumo with the Little Big Planet games.  I kinda do see some LBP art style with this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Vainamoinen said:

JESUS CHRIST I HATE QUOTING ON THIS FORUM

Yes, I've seen it very shortly after gamescom. And I'll say... it may even be too creepy for my taste. That demo freaked me out. :P

It's just the right kind of creepy! It's like Tim Burtonesque. But like GOOD tim burton. Not late-half-of-his-career-out-of-ideas Tim Burton. I'm tired of all horror games being so Resident Evil / Silent Hill all the time. This looks so refreshing. I felt the same way about Among The Sleep. Nice to have horror that isn't the same old "bloody bandages on a pile of rusty metal" type thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday is Civilization 6 day. :)

Pre-purchased, and pre-loaded on my two computers. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CecilRousso said:

Friday is Civilization 6 day. :)

Pre-purchased, and pre-loaded on my two computers. 

 

Pre purchased, but I still haven't received the code! I really hope it arrives by this evening, as I also need to preload.

This is my Civilization weekend, by the way.

Edited by fargetv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Final Hitman episode comes out in just over a week. Better be good. They're finally adding in the W2000 sniper rifle, thank the lord.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It gave us nothing!

But if the graphics are as good as presented in that trailer, then that will be a serious achievement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this