• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
dinnerordie17

Cool Games that are Coming Out

1 hour ago, CecilRousso said:

Well, it was always a bit weird that they spent so much money on something that completely separated from Windows. That they're merging them now makes sense, but it of course also means that they're out to mess with a lot of what people like with PC's as a result of it. 

And while I don't think that they want people to forget the XBOX brand, I'm not sure how well that and the Windows brand will play with each other if they launch a new XBOX that's an even less disguised Windows machine then the current XBOX's. 

I think they INTENDED to f**k with what people like about PCs, but Valve threatening to go hard on linux if they tried that crap seems to have made them change their tune. At least for now. Windows is now even a linux foundation contributor.

It's the same thing we're learning (re-re-relearning?) right now with VR headsets. When everyone tries to create their own walled garden, less consumers come to that market. Walled gardens are no longer a thing. As gandalf famously said, "Events have been set into motion which cannot be undone" or something like that.

1 hour ago, Anemone said:

As far as I understand, that will be released on PC as well.

I just really want a decent pirate video game.

On 1/10/2017 at 0:28 AM, Anemone said:

I think they INTENDED to f**k with what people like about PCs, but Valve threatening to go hard on linux if they tried that crap seems to have made them change their tune. At least for now. Windows is now even a linux foundation contributor.

Microsoft becoming a platinum member of the Linux Foundation is most likely motivated by them (Azure) wanting to compete with Amazon (AWS) and Google (GCP) in the enterprise space, and to do that they need tools to manage their servers and developers and system administrators able and willing to work with them. Up until last year when they got Canonical (of Ubuntu) to help them bring Bash to Windows 10, they relied on PowerShell and an array of bespoke applications that are far behind anything available on POSIX compliant systems like Linux, BSD and macOS, so they were forced to step up their game. Developing their own solutions in place of the open source solutions used by Amazon, Google and 90%+ of the servers powering the internet would have been too costly (and doomed to fail, considering the competition), so adapting existing, reliable software must have seemed like the best solution.

When it comes to Windows 10 though, they've already f**ked with what people like about PCs, in my opinion. They've made simple things like changing default applications and turning off data collection too difficult for average users, and I think it's likely that they will continue to give developers incentives to move from the open win32 API to their locked-in Universal Windows Platform, which is pretty much their version of the Mac App Store. I agree that Valve creating a viable, open* option to Windows on PCs have slowed them down, but I don't think they've turned. They're a business, and businesses need to make money, but they're currently struggling in the PC market, compared to Apple, in spite of their huge market share.

* You can, of course, argue that Steam isn't open, since it's a form of DRM, but unless you play DRM free games on Linux, you're locked into a proprietary ecosystem either way.

3 hours ago, flesk said:

Microsoft becoming a platinum member of the Linux Foundation is most likely motivated by them (Azure) wanting to compete with Amazon (AWS) and Google (GCP) in the enterprise space, and to do that they need tools to manage their servers and developers and system administrators able and willing to work with them. Up until last year when they got Canonical (of Ubuntu) to help them bring Bash to Windows 10, they relied on PowerShell and an array of bespoke applications that are far behind anything available on POSIX compliant systems like Linux, BSD and macOS, so they were forced to step up their game. Developing their own solutions in place of the open source solutions used by Amazon, Google and 90%+ of the servers powering the internet would have been too costly (and doomed to fail, considering the competition), so adapting existing, reliable software must have seemed like the best solution.

When it comes to Windows 10 though, they've already f**ked with what people like about PCs, in my opinion. They've made simple things like changing default applications and turning off data collection too difficult for average users, and I think it's likely that they will continue to give developers incentives to move from the open win32 API to their locked-in Universal Windows Platform, which is pretty much their version of the Mac App Store. I agree that Valve creating a viable, open* option to Windows on PCs have slowed them down, but I don't think they've turned. They're a business, and businesses need to make money, but they're currently struggling in the PC market, compared to Apple, in spite of their huge market share.

* You can, of course, argue that Steam isn't open, since it's a form of DRM, but unless you play DRM free games on Linux, you're locked into a proprietary ecosystem either way.

I don't know about some of these things, but generally speaking that sounds like my understanding of how windows is going.

Despite some people having a lot of gripes and pissing and moaning about Steam, I actually am completely satisfied with it and accept it as a service. (Though my old school self still believes owning hardcopies > digital libraries).

My big complaint about windows 10 (and presumably onward) is that I have no problem installing/using online services on my PC, but I don't like that Win10 basically shifts the OS itself into being a sort of online service with all the baggage that entails with the data collection and tailored advertising and cortana and etc. I also really dislike the one-size-fits-all design where there are mobile-style buttons and options on the operating system I am using on a tower PC, which IMO creates a sort of confusing mess.

But I really dislike the trend in general of all of silicon valley going hard on the service model. Maybe I'm an old guy, but I miss the days of buying something and then it's yours to do with as you please (all EULAs considered).

Edited by Anemone

7 minutes ago, Anemone said:

Despite some people having a lot of gripes and pissing and moaning about Steam, I actually am completely satisfied with it and accept it as a service. (Though my old school self still believes owning hardcopies > digital libraries).

Same. Many of the games on Steam aren't even DRM protected. The big ones use Steamworks, yes, but most indie games and classic games have no protection whatsoever. I don't believe Steam is going anywhere any time soon (possibly/most likely into the distant future) but there's still a part of me that feels like, to protect my merchandise and justify my purchases on games and software, that I should have offline hard copies of some sort whether that be discs or backup files just in case of that random zombie apocalypse. I wonder if this is some kind of life code that was ingrained in me when I was younger that kids these days possibly don't have/aren't taught anymore? If there's anything that'll make kids in the future perceive me as old and over the hills it'll be that.

7 minutes ago, Anemone said:

My big complaint about windows 10 (and presumably onward) is that I have no problem installing/using online services on my PC, but I don't like that Win10 basically shifts the OS itself into being a sort of online service with all the baggage that entails with the data collection and tailored advertising and cortana and etc. I also really dislike the one-size-fits-all design where there are mobile-style buttons and options on the operating system I am using on a tower PC, which IMO creates a sort of confusing mess.

I turned Cortana and the start menu tiles off. (I know Cortana can't REALLY be turned off behind the scenes, but I don't see it anymore). It acts basically the same as Win7 for me now. Just a few annoying things like default program and such that are still using that Win10 app thing but it's not too troublesome.

7 hours ago, Anemone said:

But I really dislike the trend in general of all of silicon valley going hard on the service model. Maybe I'm an old guy, but I miss the days of buying something and then it's yours to do with as you please (all EULAs considered).

I can feel the same sometimes, way too much stupid things going around when it comes to games. Somedays you want to ignore everything but GOG. 

I do love games that keeps being developed and updated iteratively, Team Fortress 2, Crusader Kings 2, Prison Architect, etc. That's just games that keeps being better, and grows to something they wouldn't be able to be otherwise. 

But any games that just tries to keeps you hooked, with levels and progressbars and whatnot, like Destiny and The Division, doesn't get in my home. 

8 minutes ago, CecilRousso said:

I can feel the same sometimes, way too much stupid things going around when it comes to games. Somedays you want to ignore everything but GOG. 

I do love games that keeps being developed and updated iteratively, Team Fortress 2, Crusader Kings 2, Prison Architect, etc. That's just games that keeps being better, and grows to something they wouldn't be able to be otherwise. 

But any games that just tries to keeps you hooked, with levels and progressbars and whatnot, like Destiny and The Division, doesn't get in my home. 

I agree. I think there is a difference between a product that is continuously supported and a service model product. One of these is basically a subscription model where the cost is creatively kicked to other places (selling user data, in-app purchases, etc). The other is just a game with really good support.

Edited by Anemone

The CEO of Chucklefish (of Starbound fame) has announced that, in addition to continuing to support and release new content for Starbound, they are currently working on two new games, both of which sound sexy as hell.

1. A new tactics game in the style of Advance Wars / Fire Emblem, in 2D using Chucklefish's pixel art skills. He said gameplay of the official release will basically be like advance wars, but that the game will be open to community mods and will feature online multiplayer so players can skirmish with each other. THIS IS AWESOME OF COURSE.

This is a gif showing work in progress:

ynmDVrT.gif%20

2. A new game that is tentatively (permanently?) named "Spellbound" which they have described as a mashup of Harry Potter + Stardew Valley. So think of it like a harvest moon style life sim, only instead of life on a farm, it is your life in wizard school. It will have everything from day/night cycles, classmates with their own daily schedules, classes to attend and grades to earn, dating, etc. THIS IS AWESOME OF COURSE.

More teaser gifs:

Edited by Anemone

Apparently there is going to be a Ni No Kuni II, and apparently it will be coming to PC as well.

Yep. That's exactly why I don't buy games in Early Access. I want the full experience and I don't want to get burned out before the experience is complete. But even as a person who didn't get into Starbound until after the full release, I was still sort of disappointed by how meh it kinda was. The game had a lot of great ideas, but I feel like it failed at making the different planets feel like distinct places (most of them had the same races, same flora, same fauna, exact same dungeons with exact same layout, etc). While a lot of the systems were cool, there wasn't nearly enough payoff for exploring them. IMO, it is yet another game where "huge universe" means spreading itself too thin. Terraria is still a much more compelling game.

I don't think either of these new games are in early access, though...? I usually just wishlist EA games I'm interested in and check them every once in a while.

God damn, The Signal From Tolva looks amaaaaazeballs. But it kinda looks TOO amazeballs, in the sense that I suspect my PC will not be able to run it well. I was hoping it might have a console release, but so far it looks like Windows/OSX only.

Edited by Anemone

Portal Knights is officially leaving EA and releasing version 1.0 on May 2nd (several days earlier for Europe) and I'm looking forward to actually playing it.

The game is apparently 95% complete right now on the verge of its release, but there is apparently one more update coming before 1.0 that improves UI, improves RPG elements, and adds a feature to co-op that allows friends playing in the same world to explore different islands/levels instead of having to stay near each other all the time.

It's only $15 right now but is going to have its price raised after it leaves early access (they haven't said by how much), so I went ahead and bought it early. I suggest any fans of Minecraft-likes do the same if you had any interest in it at all.

Edited by Anemone

Night in the Woodshas been released. 

Has anyone played it? There are very few reviews of it so far, and after Oxenfree I'm a bit weary of spending money on games that might turn out to be all artstyle and narrative, and no focus on gameplay. 

Legend of Shadow of War Saga: Brotherhood Alliance Reborn: The Reckoning

I'm this close to sincerely making it a rule to refuse to buy games whose titles consist only of boring recycled buzz words.

Might as well name your game "Generic Video Game Stew"

Edited by Anemone

It seems contrived and lazy to the lore, but DANG if it doesn't get you pumped. It LOOKS cool! I can't wait to try it. Or at least see what it's like and what it brings to the table.

I mean, at least the first game had "Mordor" in the title. That was something.

4 hours ago, Bookdust said:

That article is written in a dreadful (to use his favorite word) way, but I wouldn't say that John Walker is wrong there, since most of his complaints against the game can be said about Bioware's previous game, Dragon Age: Inquisition. A game that I played to completion, but didn't really enjoy. If Mass Effect: Andromeda is more of the same of that, without lessons learned, then I'm not that interested in it. 

http://archive.is/f9VrS

The latest recommended specs for Mass Effect: Andromeda, revealed by Nvidia yesterday,

will actually only get you 30fps at 1080p, so you're going to need a hefty rig to hit 60fps.
The recommended specs, as you can see below, ask for a Core i7-4790, 16GB of RAM, and a GTX 1060, however, that's all based on a 1080p resolution, 30fps, and a High graphics options preset. Welp.
If you’re in need of an upgrade, check out our guide on the best CPU for gaming.
These details appeared on EA's support site yesterday. You're going to need an absolute monster rig if you're planning on playing at 4K with a playable frame rate, then.

This game looks put together by monkeys.

C6km3OjWoAAq8RA.jpg

8gb7I5O.jpg

dRmJh3l.jpg

LwVWYvP.jpg

930.gif

OtsgWJK.jpg

Edited by MusicallyInspired

On 3/1/2017 at 0:03 AM, Bookdust said:

Mmmm, that dumb Middle-Earth alternate history fan-fiction. I cannot wait to taste of its silly waters once more.

What did the first game do in this regard? I don't know much about its story except the dude is

Spoiler

wraith-possessed

or whatever and I guess it has

Spoiler

Gollum

in it. (I'm happy to have it spoiled for me btw, but perhaps might need tags for others.)

8 hours ago, MusicallyInspired said:

http://archive.is/f9VrS

This game looks put together by monkeys.

Reveal hidden contents

C6km3OjWoAAq8RA.jpg

8gb7I5O.jpg

dRmJh3l.jpg

LwVWYvP.jpg

930.gif

OtsgWJK.jpg

Bioware can't make characters good these days. 

41 minutes ago, Bookdust said:

Forging a new Ring of Power to conquer Mordor is kind of silly, considering just how not canon it is.

Ah, well you didn't mention that!

Apart from skimming through that gameplay video where it seems to take control away from you every thirty seconds, no.

I know less about the story of this one than I do the first.

I guess it's fine as long as the ending is "and then they failed and no one ever heard about it."

I'm just glad someone's being allowed to dabble in Middle-Earth outside of Tolkien, even though no one's ever going to outdo him.

are immersive sims the hot thing right now? 'cause that what it looks like to me.

an I'm feeling ecstatic about it