Sign in to follow this  
dinnerordie17

Cool Games that are Coming Out

Thimbleweek Park 30th March

Full Throttle 18th April

Last episode of The Dream Machine 11 May.

(And Finding Paradise coming out in the Summer?)

That's a lot of things I've been looking forward to.

Mass Effect: Andromeda is not getting the best reviews. General consensus seems to be that it's descent, but unpolished and underwhelming in regards to how time consuming it is, much because of the writing. 

I haven't been that interested in Andromeda overall. The most I've heard about it so far has been the threads/articles making fun of its bizarre animations. The face animations in particular.

So I suppose that animation team is drinking a lot these days. =P

Edited by Anemone

I chuckled a bit at some of the animations in the game, but if the rest of the game had been awesome and interesting, then I wouldn't have mind even more animation glitches or whatnot. But the review comments about the quests and characters are what's putting me off this game. 

But I'm also one of those who feel that Mass Effect 2 is massively (pun intended) overrated. And that Mass Effect 1 is the best game in the series. 

33 minutes ago, CecilRousso said:

I'm also one of those who feel that Mass Effect 2 is massively (pun intended) overrated. And that Mass Effect 1 is the best game in the series. 

I agree completely! I loved Mass Effect 1 despite some gameplay issues, and found Mass Effect 2 quite underwhelming.

I have very little memory of ME1 tbh. I just remember finding it's UI cumbersome, controlling the mako to be irritating, and its elevator rides to be obnoxiously, soporifically long.

Edited by Anemone

The main reason that Andromeda is bad to meh is because a good amount of the Bioware staff and writers left after ME3 or DAI.  They were replaced by rookies who were fans of the original ME trilogy and EA chose to make Bioware rush the game.

1 hour ago, Anemone said:

I have very little memory of ME1 tbh. I just remember finding it's UI cumbersome, controlling the mako to be irritating, and its elevator rides to be obnoxiously, soporifically long.

All of those are true. And I pretty much discarded the game after 4-5h. But I came back to it, beat it, and thought it was awesome. It just had that great scifi movie feeling of homebase, exploration, great villain,enemy grunts, artistic design and soundtrack. 

Mass Effect 2 was much more polished, but also less interesting. Story was worse, villains was worse, grunts were worse, and it was just so much more in-your-face "gamey". Most encounters were just the same, all locations were corridors, and it became boring when you could figure out which enemy you were about to meet based on what ammo that were just suddenly laying around. 

54 minutes ago, CecilRousso said:

All of those are true. And I pretty much discarded the game after 4-5h. But I came back to it, beat it, and thought it was awesome. It just had that great scifi movie feeling of homebase, exploration, great villain,enemy grunts, artistic design and soundtrack. 

Mass Effect 2 was much more polished, but also less interesting. Story was worse, villains was worse, grunts were worse, and it was just so much more in-your-face "gamey". Most encounters were just the same, all locations were corridors, and it became boring when you could figure out which enemy you were about to meet based on what ammo that were just suddenly laying around. 

Agreed on all fronts. Now that we have more hugely impressive open worlds and better ways of handling loading than elevators, I'd love to see a new ME1 style game that wasn't necessarily one huge open world, but a series of planets where each one was like a mini-open world. What would be a "region" in a typical open world, ya dig? I bet if ME1 had been released in 2017 it woulda been rad.

I'm going to play it tonight and see.  I didn't hate Inquisition as much as most, so I'm not completely disheartened for it.

12 hours ago, Anemone said:

Agreed on all fronts. Now that we have more hugely impressive open worlds and better ways of handling loading than elevators, I'd love to see a new ME1 style game that wasn't necessarily one huge open world, but a series of planets where each one was like a mini-open world. What would be a "region" in a typical open world, ya dig? I bet if ME1 had been released in 2017 it woulda been rad.

That was my experience as well. Except that I was playing it on PC, which made the lifts go much faster. And I thought that driving the Mako was fun! Crazy physics at their best.

The thing I liked least was the inventory manangement part of the game, and especially weapon mods, armour mods, psi power mods and so on. You had to deal with mods that were specifically designed for taking down certain enemies, and dealing with that on three party members at the same time was not fun.

The story, as mentioned, was great. The characters felt like real "people", the story moved along in a nice organic way, and the last two hours of that game were fantastic.

EDIT: I never understand how quoting works on the forum anymore.

Edited by fargetv

10 hours ago, Johro said:

I'm going to play it tonight and see.  I didn't hate Inquisition as much as most, so I'm not completely disheartened for it.

I didn't hate Inquisition, it was serviceable. But you should expect much more from the biggest player in the genre. 

Some people really didn't like it.  Andromeda has a certain /off/ feel as well.  A cartoony feel.  I'm only a couple hours into it though.  I think it's the way they gave characters a reactionary expression when listening or delivering dialogue.  On the bright side, after what? 7 games?  It looks like Bioware has finally figured out a more natural turn-and-walk-away animation.  The combat is fun and the RPG part is overwhelmingly more involved(it probably gets explained later on).  I'm disappointed so far, but I don't regret the purchase at all(yet).

I'm hearing only mostly negative things about Andromeda so far. Apparently the combat is good, but everything else feels bad at worst and uninspired at best. There are of course the threads and threads of "lol bad animation" gifs but one of the greatest strengths of ME has been the characters and writing, and I'm hearing that the writing is pretty awful as well, which is damning for a franchise kinda built on that as one of its strengths.

The most positive reviews I have seen of Andromeda so far have essentially been "Well, I don't hate it."

That's some faint ass praise.

Well, it's not Mafia III underwhelming.  I'll give it that.  I do have the urge to keep playing it.  The story is pretty interesting, but not unique.  What the story has going for it is that it's a story told so many times, that I'm interested in which way they'll decide to go.    What I've heard about character development is that it IS there and the characters are fairly interesting, but you have to seek the information out.  It doesn't just unravel with the story.  You have to go talk to them and force it out of them.  Mass Effect IS there, it's just not executed all that well.  It seems like more of a "Lead" issue.  Aside from the animation, everyone, individually, did their job well.  It just didn't come together properly and cohesively.

I just stumbled over this game, Beat Cop, on GOG. 

https://www.gog.com/news/preorder_beat_cop

Beat Cop, a retro-styled, nonlinear adventure about beating the odds and perils of 80's Brooklyn, is now available for pre-order, DRM-free on GOG.com, with a 10% pre-order discount!

From NY detective to traffic warden, it's a long way to fall. And Jack Kelly didn't exactly land on his feet, either. With the false murder accusations ruining both his life and career, his only ticket to a decent existence is working the mean Brooklyn streets while looking for the real culprits.

The 10% discount will last until the game's release on March 30.

It looks pretty cool and interesting. Still have fond memories of the original Police Quest, so maybe this can be something similiar? 

Had a look at the Steam Forums, and there seemed to be animosity towards the devs from some people, because the devs have had the audicity to provide the game for free to streamers and reviewers. O.o

Edited by CecilRousso

9 hours ago, CecilRousso said:

Had a look at the Steam Forums, and there seemed to be animosity towards the devs from some people, because the devs have had the audicity to provide the game for free to streamers and reviewers. O.o

Groan, is this going to be the next big thing for entitled gamers who don't understand how the industry or life works to scream at people about?

Destiny 2 has been announced!

Edited by epic

51 minutes ago, TimeGentleman said:

Groan, is this going to be the next big thing for entitled gamers who don't understand how the industry or life works to scream at people about?

Yeah, it's so stupid that I keep asking myself if I didn't misread it, but it doesn't seem the way. 

Here are the threads: 

https://steamcommunity.com/app/461950/discussions/0/133260492057505629/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/461950/discussions/0/133260492060235661/

In some more positive news:

The Signal From Tolva is now officially up on Steam for wishlisting and has an official release date in April!

I mean, I'm probably still gonna be playing HZD, Gravity Rush, and Zelda all the way through July, but I am totally gonna buy this at some point!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/457760/

On 3/27/2017 at 3:55 AM, CecilRousso said:

I just stumbled over this game, Beat Cop, on GOG. 

https://www.gog.com/news/preorder_beat_cop

It looks pretty cool and interesting. Still have fond memories of the original Police Quest, so maybe this can be something similiar? 

Can't help but be reminded of Mob Rules, a retro game I was helping some guys make a while back and hasn't gone anywhere. 

Sure can't wait for Game I Was Never And Am Still Not Interested In 2 :P

21 minutes ago, Anemone said:

Sure can't wait for Game I Was Never And Am Still Not Interested In 2 :P

Not a Bungie fan?