Sign in to follow this  
dinnerordie17

Cool Games that are Coming Out

20 minutes ago, Bookdust said:

I sure do hate them. With an intense and all-consuming fire.

Really?  Why?

I haven't played but I heard bad things about....what did they do wrong, microtransactions or something?

Oh it was console exclusive too. That's why I never played it.

Edited by MusicallyInspired

I'm just generally not interested in shooters that are some kind of online experience, because it generally involves interacting with people who like to play online shooters, and in my experience these people are statistically much more likely to be.... uh... I'm having a hard time finding diplomatic words to describe what my interactions with this culture have been like. =P

I also had one friend who would not shut up about Destiny for months, even though none of us were interested and said multiple times we were sick of hearing about it, he kinda just kept going on and on, it just built up even more of of this feeling of "oh that annoying game that won't go away".

*edit*

I do like shooters that are just online cooperative with exclusively people I know, though. Borderlands isn't one of my favorite games, but I'll play that with people. I also kinda like Dead Island, despite all criticisms that can and have been said about it.

My impression of Destiny was that it was Stockholm Syndrome: The Game. Read tons of discussions on Neogaf about it, how it was lacking in so many different ways, and yet they kept playing it for hundreds of hours. Maybe it got better, after the rought start? 

Destiny is pretty okay. The main problem was that it felt a bit soulless and aimless, and it seems that they're fixing a lot of that for the sequel. The shooting action itself was pretty good, and I'd always return to it for expansions for a week or two to do a bit more of that. Sadly the system for the big raids means that it was practically impossible to do that stuff unless you had a group of friends playing too.

Anyway, on cool games that are coming out it seems like we're finally getting the the end of the most astonishing run of great big games to come out that I can remember for a long time.

On the one hand I'm really glad that so much cool stuff is coming out, on the other I haven't had a chance to play it all, and I'm finding I'm having to skip some of the smaller games I'd like to play to fit it all in.

So up next Persona 5, after which I guess I'll get to Thimbleweed Park at some point?

I've still got to get The Witness and Obduction finished....Zelda keeps saying "nope" every time I think about it.

The only thing I didn't like about Destiny is the grinding.  Also, I got the game after they got rid of Dinklebot.  The only DLC I haven't played yet is Rise Of Iron. 

I just got an email from GOG announcing upcoming titles for preorder. It lists Telltale's new Guardians of the Galaxy as "adventure, point and click". LOL

I was excited for their Guardians of the Galaxy game when it was announced, considering how fun Tales from the Borderlands was, and how the Guardians IP should fit that. But that trailer really made it look rough. Going to need great reviews for it now. 

Never did play TftB.  I just couldn't.  I hate Pitchford too much to enjoy it.

On 13/04/2011 at 3:00 PM, Bookdust said:

Just added a new game to my list of titles to watch.

- Dragon's Dogma

I have been waiting for a game like this for a long time.

was this any good?

Yooka-Laylee sure is getting some mixed reviews. From some 8's and 9's, to Eurogamer's 'Medium Rare', to Jim Sterlings 2/10. 

Edited by CecilRousso

25 minutes ago, CecilRousso said:

Yooka-Laylee sure is getting some mixed reviews. From some 8's and 9's, to Eurogamer's 'Medium Rare', to Jim Sterlings 2/10. 

Jim's review is particularly scathing, but from what I'm seeing across the board, one's enjoyment of Yooka-Layle seems to largely hinge on how much they enjoy the mid to late-90's 3D platforming formula and how forgiving they are of the aspects of that formula that didn't age well.

12 hours ago, Syd said:

Jim's review is particularly scathing, but from what I'm seeing across the board, one's enjoyment of Yooka-Layle seems to largely hinge on how much they enjoy the mid to late-90's 3D platforming formula and how forgiving they are of the aspects of that formula that didn't age well.

Yeah, Jim's review seems a bit over the top. A 2/10 is something that I would expect to be fundementally broken and pretty much unplayable, and that's not what the other reviews are telling me. 

I'm not that into games like Yooka-Laylee, so for me it's just something that I study from a distance though. I have no expectations on it, and haven't planned to buy it either way. But I take an interest in how the big kickstarters are received. 

Edited by CecilRousso

Jim Sterling is a cut above John Walker, but he's not immune to John Walker disease himself, imo.

I'm a couple hours into Yooka Laylee and so far I'm VERY happy with how it turned out.  It seems to be incredibly faithful as a spiritual successor to Banjo Kazooey, the overall game feel seems excellent, they don't hold out on giving you the kind of powers/abilities that make games like this fun,  it looks and sounds gorgeous (with the exception of the character "voices" which... are definitely faithful to Banjo Kazooey's shtick, but I had forgotten how annoying that could be, lol), essentially it seems to me that Playtonic has delivered 100% what they promised in their kickstarter.

(As of world one) I think the only thing I could really nitpick is a lack of enemy variety. Hopefully that will improve in later worlds.  If not, I still doubt I could rate this any lower than a 4/5.

-

So it seems to me that the negative reviews mainly fall into one of several categories:

People who have never played a game like Banjo Kazooey, who find the basic gameplay concepts or design choices baffling in comparison to modern games, and probably would have realized they wouldn't like the game if they had done even the slightest amount of research before buying it..

People who loved Banjo Kazooey but have an unrealistic memory of what the old games were like, and who have set impossible standards for the spiritual successor to live up to.. you know, those "The games I played as a child were infinitely better than all modern games" types, who don't know how to take their nostalgia goggles off and give 'em a good polish now and then..

And people who simply hate enjoying things, or the very concept of happiness. Y'know, like that Jim Sterling fella.

But hey, maybe the game suddenly gets terrible after the first level. Who knows.  If I spot any glaring flaws later on, I'll let you guys know.

2 hours ago, CrashFu said:

I'm a couple hours into Yooka Laylee and so far I'm VERY happy with how it turned out.  It seems to be incredibly faithful as a spiritual successor to Banjo Kazooey, the overall game feel seems excellent, they don't hold out on giving you the kind of powers/abilities that make games like this fun,  it looks and sounds gorgeous (with the exception of the character "voices" which... are definitely faithful to Banjo Kazooey's shtick, but I had forgotten how annoying that could be, lol), essentially it seems to me that Playtonic has delivered 100% what they promised in their kickstarter.

(As of world one) I think the only thing I could really nitpick is a lack of enemy variety. Hopefully that will improve in later worlds.  If not, I still doubt I could rate this any lower than a 4/5.

-

So it seems to me that the negative reviews mainly fall into one of several categories:

People who have never played a game like Banjo Kazooey, who find the basic gameplay concepts or design choices baffling in comparison to modern games, and probably would have realized they wouldn't like the game if they had done even the slightest amount of research before buying it..

People who loved Banjo Kazooey but have an unrealistic memory of what the old games were like, and who have set impossible standards for the spiritual successor to live up to.. you know, those "The games I played as a child were infinitely better than all modern games" types, who don't know how to take their nostalgia goggles off and give 'em a good polish now and then..

And people who simply hate enjoying things, or the very concept of happiness. Y'know, like that Jim Sterling fella.

But hey, maybe the game suddenly gets terrible after the first level. Who knows.  If I spot any glaring flaws later on, I'll let you guys know.

Very nice! I'm really looking forward to playing it.

Sonic Forces will now feature custom characters.  I guess Deviant Art's dream has come true.

27 minutes ago, Bookdust said:

I mean, I kind of want to play it just so I can make Coldsteel the Hedgehog. So maybe it's not just wish fulfillment for Sonic Fans. Maybe Sega has cracked the code on this whole Sonic thing.

Aww yes, so many people will either make Coldsteel or Sonichu.

custom hedgehogs is not a thing I was aware that anyone wanted

3 hours ago, Anemone said:

custom hedgehogs is not a thing I was aware that anyone wanted

Blame Deviant Art for that one since everyone loves making Sonic OCs.

45 minutes ago, Bookdust said:

Sonic OCs have been around long before the rise of Deviant Art, also please stop wholesale insulting a community that my sister participates in.

Wasn't trying to insult the Sonic fanbase, so sorry if I was rude to your family in a way.

No one said anything about your sister and I'm sure it's obvious nobody meant ABSOLUTELY ALL OF DEVIANT ART. That's a big place with plenty of artists that have nothing to do with Sonic.

39 minutes ago, MusicallyInspired said:

No one said anything about your sister and I'm sure it's obvious nobody meant ABSOLUTELY ALL OF DEVIANT ART. That's a big place with plenty of artists that have nothing to do with Sonic.

Correct!  There's plenty of talent and good artists and then there's the ones you see on cringe sites.

1 hour ago, Bookdust said:

Alright Far Cry I'm curious.

I just vacationed in Montana. :)