• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
dinnerordie17

Cool Games that are Coming Out

Ubisoft has a long way to go to convince me about using my time for another Far Cry. FC3 is probably the game that falled the hardest during a playthrough, from initial blizz to turning out to be quite awful. 

I don' think I have ever enjoyed a far cry so I can't get excited >.>

Also, Mario + rabbids wtf?

5 hours ago, CecilRousso said:

Ubisoft has a long way to go to convince me about using my time for another Far Cry. FC3 is probably the game that falled the hardest during a playthrough, from initial blizz to turning out to be quite awful. 

How was it bad?  It probably had one of the most memorable video game villains.

48 minutes ago, epic said:

How was it bad?  

Things that annoyed me with the game: 
*Save system that worked against it being played as a sandbox title, by not letting me create save points exactly where and when I wanted. 
*A very clumsy and annoying health system. 
*Padded game, with a second island that was so much worse that it should have been cut from an already long game. 
*Used forced stealth missions, where on mission in particular almost made me quit the game. 
*An offensively stupid story.  

There were things that I did enjoy with the game, and the series do have potential, which I still comment on the series. But I remain sceptical of Ubisoft actually being interested in fixing them, considering how praised the previous games were. 

49 minutes ago, epic said:

It probably had one of the most memorable video game villains.

Most memorable villain because of what? I might have missed some aspect about him, but I don't understand what made him great. 

35 minutes ago, CecilRousso said:

Things that annoyed me with the game: 
*Save system that worked against it being played as a sandbox title, by not letting me create save points exactly where and when I wanted. 
*A very clumsy and annoying health system. 
*Padded game, with a second island that was so much worse that it should have been cut from an already long game. 
*Used forced stealth missions, where on mission in particular almost made me quit the game. 
*An offensively stupid story.  

There were things that I did enjoy with the game, and the series do have potential, which I still comment on the series. But I remain sceptical of Ubisoft actually being interested in fixing them, considering how praised the previous games were. 

Most memorable villain because of what? I might have missed some aspect about him, but I don't understand what made him great. 

Vaas was a pretty bad ass villain while the final boss was kinda forgettable.

24 minutes ago, epic said:

Vaas was a pretty bad ass villain while the final boss was kinda forgettable.

Yeah, he was more memorable then the final boss, but that's not saying much :). 

I know a lot of people claim that Vaas is a well designed character, but other then that he worked for the cover of the game, I don't understand what's so great about him. As far as I remember and understood of him, there really isn't that much to what he says, does or thinks in the game. 

17 minutes ago, Bookdust said:

I think Michael Mando's livewire performance of the character is what has set Vaas apart from most video game villains.

At least that's what I see getting praised about the character in articles.

Only reason I'm interested in Far Cry 5 is the chance to shoot asshole white Americans. After the past two years that sounds like good therapy to me.

You mean assailed religious right lunatics?  Did something happen in the last two years?

3 minutes ago, Bookdust said:

No I mean asshole, white Americans. I mean militarized, far right religious lunatics, the kind of people who voted for a current president not because they had the wool pulled over their eyes but because they saw in him a champion for their backwards and hateful viewpoints. I'm talking about Nazis, I'm talking about fundamentalist zealots who twist their faith to justify their awful behavior and beliefs. I'm talking about the cartoon versions of the worst America has to offer.

I want to shoot me some digital folk that look like Richard Spencer crossed with the Duck Dynasty rednecks crossed with the Westboro Baptist Church. Throw some KKK in their while you're at it, I'm ready to go!

Also it's nice that Ubisoft is taking a different approach and having their canon fodder be something other then an isolated group of "exotic but savage" natives. I'm just saying, it's about time they painted the target on a different group of people, and I can't think of a group more deserving then Fascist Americans.

Damn, now you're just getting me more pumped up about FC5 too.  The guy in the center of that pic does look like Richard Spencer.

I don't see what's wrong?  That's when the final episode is coming out I think.

1 minute ago, Johro said:

I don't see what's wrong?  That's when the final episode is coming out I think.

IMG_2625.PNG

Yes, the final episode of the new season is coming out in 5 days.

Oh shit.  Well, someone did %#$@&! up.  As well as me, whom read it about 5 times.

Well, I sure wish I had some video game news to cover up my stupidity.

How 'bout that new indie game by some company that didn't exist a year ago?  Doesn't it look retro and neat?

Edited by Johro

You can make a customizable character in Far Cry 5.  Ubi also released trailers for members of the Resistance against the evil cult.

1 minute ago, Bookdust said:

Can I make a lady Far Cry?

Yes you can.

5 minutes ago, Bookdust said:

Day One Purchase... Actually Day Two Purchase, this is Ubi we're talking about. I wanna be sure it isn't a bug ridden mess before I put my money down.

Here's what known:

You play as a Sheriff's Deputy which can be customizable by gender, race and other physical features.

No radio towers I believe.

The story involve taking down a religious cult in Montana that has taken over this beautiful state.

You will fight with a Resistance.

Three allies include an African American priest, a bartender lady, and a pilot.

You will get to drive redneck vehicles like muscle cars, monster trucks, ATVs, planes, etc.

I wish one of the Far Cry games could come anyway near the brilliance of Far Cry 2, but I'm sad to say that will probably never happen. :( Oh well. Not really interested in any of the new ones. FC2 was so perfect that all the other ones are disappointingly dull in comparison. I did have fun with 3, but after that... meh.

The Long Journey Home have just been released. Based on trailers, it's a game I really want to be good. 

Was never a fan of the Far Cry series. Think I'll pass.

Atlus announced three 3DS JRPGs coming to the US today. Ok, so two of them are remakes and one is a sequel but I'm excited! SMT: Strange Journey Redux, Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology and Etrian Odyssey V! Now to patiently wait for another announcement about plans for a European/Australian release of these.

Ooblets has launched their Steam store page.

Inflatality was also greenlit after Steam Greenlight closed. It was good fun playing that at PAX Aus.

Figured they go Pixar this time around. But what about Marvel and Star Wars?

As for old worlds already used in the prior games, I would love to see Pirates of the Caribbean.

12 hours ago, Noname215 said:

Figured they go Pixar this time around. But what about Marvel and Star Wars?

As for old worlds already used in the prior games, I would love to see Pirates of the Caribbean.

I think Marvel and Star Wars would be too big for KH.  What about some of Disney's cartoons such as Gravity Falls and Star Vs.?

I would not be against a Kim Possible level. However they seem to be sticking predominantly to movies rather than TV. Besides, it would be pretty hard to put Gravity Falls into an action RPG and make it work. Same with Star Vs.

I think if they did do a Marvel world, the best choice would be Captain America: The First Avenger.

Edited by Noname215

Behold The Kickmen has just been released on Steam, for $3.99/ £2.79 (10% discount at launch though). It's a single-player football/soccer game for the PC and Mac (Linux is apparently less likely after a few tests) made by someone who neither understands nor likes football/soccer. It also has a story element with art by Michael Firman, and a Dystopian FutureSport Mode that puts a Speedball-style wallpaper over everything, for people who hate football/soccer.

http://www.sizefivegames.com/category/behold-the-kickmen/

It's good fun!

(Note 1: I am best mates with Dan, the developer.)

(Note 2: Although people assume so because of the Dan and Ben games, I am not a Size Five Games permanent employee. I was not involved in the making of this game!)

Been a bit sceptical towards Behold the Kicmen, but I must say that that was one well done trailer. Interest in the title definitely got up because of it.