• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
dinnerordie17

Cool Games that are Coming Out

I think a wreak it Ralph level would be great in KH3, but they wouldn't be able to talk about other games.  Plus it would be great if they had some four wall breaking too.

Edited by Zacal

I just realized that I've so far own only two games releases this year. 

Thimbleweed Park - Mostly solid, but a letdown in some aspects. 
Full Throttle: Remastered - Great, but a remaster. 

And I've gotten to play Zelda: BOTW and Mario Kart 8 DX on Switch. 

Is it just me, or have this been a pretty shit year for games so far? It feels like a "between" year, where the developers that interest me are busy with next years games. 

Genres I usually like are:

• Short focused story games, preferably with puzzles over combat. 
  • Strategy games with turnbased combat. 
  • Open world RPG's, or RPG's with lots of choices if they're linear (think Alpha Protocol). 
  • Games with good turnbased combat
  • Strategy games, if they don't focus on linear campaign. 

And of the interesting released and upcoming games that interest me, I'm looking at:

• Oxygen Not Included
  • Rime
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2
  • XCOM2: War of the Chosen
  • Battle Brothers
  • Northgard
  • PES2018

It's not nothing, it should be sufficient. But it feels like a worse year then 2016 for games IMHO. 

The only 2017 game I have bought is Resident Evil 7, and it's just too scary for me. Seems good, though. I want to play Prey, and you might like Galactic Civilization III: Crusade?

I don't know if this year is worse than previous years, as there are so few big budget games these days that seem very interesting to me.

2 hours ago, Bidiot Bales said:

Prey is so damn good I want everyone to buy it.

Hi Todd.

On 2017-08-01 at 7:24 PM, Bidiot Bales said:

Prey is so damn good I want everyone to buy it.

Still don't know enough about Prey, to know if it's a game for me. But I really like this song from the OST. 

On 8/1/2017 at 0:17 PM, CecilRousso said:

Is it just me, or have this been a pretty shit year for games so far? It feels like a "between" year, where the developers that interest me are busy with next years games. 

Genres I usually like are:

• Short focused story games, preferably with puzzles over combat. 

Have you checked out Rakuen? It's made by Laura Shigihara, who is probably most known for contributing to the score of To The Moon, and it's somewhat similar, but quite a bit longer and it has several puzzles. It's unfortunately only available on Steam though.

I feel like it's been a pretty good year so far for me in terms of games, which is nice, because I have felt for a long time that I have been fighting for table scraps against the Call of Dutys, Halos, Destinys, and Shadow of Mordors, and all of their ilk.

For a strategy/turn-based game, I've already mentioned Steamworld Heist, which was a delightful find. The worst thing I could possibly say about it is that it gets pretty grindy and repetitive once you've been playing it for many hours. It could have been truly incredible if, like X-COM, there was a little bit more to do outside/between battles, but the battle system is genuinely fun.

For open world RPGs, we've had both Breath Of The Wild and Horizon Zero Dawn recently, both of which are two of the best games in the genre we have ever seen! And although there are plenty of complaints one could make, Final Fantasy XV has been, on the whole, pretty great. And the post-launch free updates have been unprecedented in relentlessness.

It's not quite an RPG exactly, but I've been really enjoying Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles. I think the game will probably be disappointing to some people who might be expecting it to be more like Harvest Moon / Stardew or more like Zelda. The truth it is more like a giant open-world Animal Crossing than anything. Mostly you are just exploring and running errands for people, but it's so relaxing. I have never been a very competitive person, and the older I get, I get even LESS interested in competition than before. I just want to be transported elsewhere and fart around in the woods, and this is a nice game for that.

As always, I highly recommend The Solus Project, which is something like a survival game (but you can adjust it to make the survival elements negligible if you don't care about that). But it is a great open world exploration game. (The Long Dark really should have taken some notes for their story campaign, which I think is inferior to what The Solus Project accomplishes as far as fusing narrative open-world adventure with survival.)

For a short-focused story game that emphasizes puzzles over combat, I can't recommend enough Spirits of Xanadu. It has combat in it, but it's easy combat, enemies don't respawn, and the combat is fairly easy. (You can make it more difficult and turn respawns on in the options, but it's not the main draw of the game, so I never bothered.) It is much more like a "Gone Home in space" type game with some Myst style puzzling thrown in. Not sure how it compares to the recently released Tacoma, since I haven't tried Tacoma yet.

Dead Secret, as I wrote earlier, is a great short Myst style adventure game with more of a murder mystery / occult / psychological horror slant. I enjoyed it!

The Fall is an excellent sci-fi adventure game with a cool narrative, mostly puzzling, and some occasional light combat. I mention it now because the sequel is coming soon to the Switch and I can't wait!

Also wondering if Cecil has tried Chroma Squad, which I found to be very X-COM like. Except... you know... with power rangers.

Watching Volition streams for Agents of Mayhem.

I was already pretty excited about the game, because Saints Row is one of my favorite franchises and AoM shares its universe. Wasn't sure what to make of the gameplay based on early looks but it's looking like a Saints Row game with some really cool character swapping mechanics and freedom of movement.

Nothing prepared me for the sheer awesomeness of Daisy though.

TL:DW

She's a brash derby girl who wields a minigun!

Game Purchased.

@Anemone Read about Chroma Squad some time ago, and it really looked interesting. Haven't bought it yet, but maybe should have a new look at it. 

@flesk Haven't played To the Moon, but will have a look at the game you recommended. 

And while we wait for Black Lake to be announced, tomorrow is the release of the XCOM2 expansion, War of the Chosen. 

Let's celebrate that with the theme of the excellent OST of XCOM2. 

I'm gonna celebrate the XCOM expansion by immediately forgetting about it and playing something better. :happytim:

Well I played Uncharted: The Lost Legacy all the way through, and I had to keep reminding myself it was an Uncharted game and not Tomb Raider.

11 minutes ago, Tiny Dust! said:

How so?

When you have an action adventure game rooted in treasure hunting where there's a lot of parkour, gunplay and the lead is a female with a British accent, I'm gonna be thinking of Lara Croft most of the time.

I probably just miss Nathan Drake.

I understand missing Nathan (though he's happily legitimate and domestic now) but the rest I don't get. Chloe Frazer has a completely different personality from modern Lara Croft. Nevermind that narratively and in terms of production Naughty Dog are completely outclassing Square Enix.

I'm just happy to see something do a two woman adventure before me. Got lots of inspiration for Fair & Everett playing this game. 

It's mainly a visual thing. Like Harrison Ford in movies where he's running around with a cowboy hat is going to make people think of Indiana Jones. It just comes to mind.

Edited by Noname215

41 minutes ago, Noname215 said:

It's mainly a visual thing. Like Harrison Ford in movies where he's running around with a cowboy hat is going to make people think of Indiana Jones. It just comes to mind.

Interestingly, I didn't feel that way about Cowboys vs Aliens.

1 hour ago, Noname215 said:

When you have an action adventure game rooted in treasure hunting where there's a lot of parkour, gunplay and the lead is a female with a British accent, I'm gonna be thinking of Lara Croft most of the time.

I probably just miss Nathan Drake.

Australian, not British and the other one (Nadine) is South African.  I liked Chloe and was glad she came back considering that she left the third game at the halfway point due to her BF, who didn't appear after the halfway point of the 3rd game or at any point in the 4th game, got injured. 

SEGA decided to implement the Denuvo DRM in Sonic Mania for PC, delay the game for two weeks to do that, and then not inform customers about it until after the public backlash against that, and that they managed to make the game always online "by mistake". So that game sure isn't cool anymore. 

Uggghhhhh. I was looking forward to buying that. Oh well...maybe I'll just get it for the Switch instead......maybe.

Edited by MusicallyInspired

It sounds like SEGA possibly didn't inform the developers of the game that they were doing that either, or else did it against their wishes, which is interesting.