Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dumblogic511

Do you think Psychonauts 2 would sell well?

Do you think Psychonauts 2 would sell well, and will a publisher take a chance on it?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Psychonauts 2 would sell well, and will a publisher take a chance on it?

• Yes, Psychonauts 2 would sell well, and a publisher will take a chance on it
    • Yes, Psychonauts 2 would sell well, but I don't think any publisher will take the risk
    • No, Psychonauts 2 wouldn't sell well, but I think there will be a publisher that takes a chance at it.
    • No, Psychonauts 2 wouldn't sell well, and no publisher will take a chance on it.

Psychonauts is my favorite game of all time, so when I recently heard that Tim Schafer was ready to make a sequel I was ecstatic. I think it would be able to sell well, due to the large amount of people who have played it through steam and gametap, and I am confident enough in the quality of psychonauts, that I do believe the game has created enough of a fanbase that would be willing to pay 60 dollars for a Psychonauts 2, that it would be a commercial success, but I'm not sure if any publisher is willing to take a risk on it.

Depends on who the target audience is

If we're talking about, say, the majority of the forum regulars here then yes, on those terms it'd sell very well. Psychonauts is what brought alot of us here. I don't know if it'd attract people who aren't DF fans simply because it'd be a sequel. But it may get people interested in the first game which is always good for DF's finance and publicity

This is all still a big 'if the sequel ever gets made', mind. And on that note, if it did get made, I'd buy it. I'd buy it nine times :V

Depends on who the target audience is

If we're talking about, say, the majority of the forum regulars here then yes, on those terms it'd sell very well. Psychonauts is what brought alot of us here. I don't know if it'd attract people who aren't DF fans simply because it'd be a sequel. But it may get people interested in the first game which is always good for DF's finance and publicity

This is all still a big 'if the sequel ever gets made', mind. And on that note, if it did get made, I'd buy it. I'd buy it nine times :V

The target audience would be people who have played the original psychonauts, (which due to gamefly and steam is vastly larger than it used to be with just the people who played it on xbox) the question is, would those people who bought it for 2 dollars on steam, or just played it because they already had gamefly have been impressed enough by it to buy a sequel for 6o bucks.

Oh, if that's the question, then definitely. Psychonauts is amazing; pretty much everyone who played it loved it.

I think I worded that a little wrong. It's not what I'm asking in the question, it's what I believe would need to happen in order for Psychonauts 2 to sell well enough. I'm asking if you believe Psychonauts 2 would be commercially successful, in general, not if it would be commercially successful to a certain audience.

Well you keep rephrasing the question! xD

And that's what I answered in the first place, anyway.

My bad, Carl said "Depends who the target audience would be" and I replied with who I believed the target audience for psychonauts 2 would be, I didn't mean to rephrase the question.

yes double fine should do another psychonauts! But you need to have a really good story to follow up the first game. that is very important! its needs to have is original game roots no out of the top add ons. the first game was an underground favorite it wasnt so good with the sells because not so many people heard about it and for the ones that did they love it, i am in love with it i rented it when i was a kid, and when i saw it in game stops used ps2 games i had to buy it right then and there. over all this will be a good idea to promote the first one again, have it as a special download for the ps3 and xbox360 or something so more people know about it. and they will want a second one. but PLEASE dont mess up the story for the 2nd one. heres one that will make a good plot it starts off where the first ended but razz needs to have is helmet and goggles back! and the fact that lilis dad the head of the psychonauts has bin captured is good not work with that but its bin while since hes bin taken and raz is a bit older now, and now lilis father comes out of no where having a new antipsychonauts at the works trying to take down the original organization under the control of who ever kidnapped him in the first place. see there is alot of potential to this game. and if any of the actual people from double fine read this i have more ideas if you get stuck in making this an awesome squeal. MAKE THIS GAME!

Where's Action Shark when you need him to bite of the hands of newbies that make 'OMFGKJASKLDFJ PSYCHONAUTS 2' threads?

Where's Action Shark when you need him to bite of the hands of newbies that make 'OMFGKJASKLDFJ PSYCHONAUTS 2' threads?

Oh come now. We were all that way at one point, yourself included. Don't be so harsh (although the "we want a sequel now" threads do get a bit tiresome).

Anyhow, I think it could sell better than the first, but only if there's better marketing on it.

I reckon it'd sell fine, the first game has built up one hell of a reputation over the past few years and a ton of people have played it now on pc and console. There again it wouldn't get released on PC so w/e...

It wouldn't sell, and no publisher would publish it. It would be awesome, but not all good work is appreciated. The only 3D platformer left on the market is Mario... unless you count Sonic. Which you shouldn't.

Depends if they actually released it on PC where the majority of people played it.

Actually, the majority of sales were on the Xbox.

But thats only because Psychonauts was originally for the Xbox, correct? And now that it's out of print, that only leaves PC distribution like Steam and Gametap

So I think it's safe to say thats where the majority of people will play Psychonauts if they haven't already and if they're willing to give it a chance

How is this a "OMFG PSYCHONAUTS 2" thread? It's a thread about whether or not it would be profitable for a publisher to take a chance on making Psychonauts 2, since it was recently announced that Tim Schafer is interested in making a sequel, but he has not found a publisher yet to take the project on. It seems like a much more interesting topic then talking about a game that is 8 years old.

Actually he's been saying that for years. It's just that when he reiterated it in a recent interview it was considered newsworthy for some reason and reported everywhere as "Tim Schafer has finally reached the poing where he's going to make Psychonauts 2!" When it was just what he'd been saying pretty much since the release of Psychonauts, not some kind of confirmation of a sequel.

I know it's not a confirmation, and I know that he has been interested in making a sequel for a while, but since it has now become something "newsworthy" that he is interested in finding a publisher for it, I thought it would be an interesting topic.

I don't know. The first Psychonauts sold poorly because of god-awful advertising, and because most people at this time started playing nothing but Halo, Killzone, and Call of Duty (well, then again, CoD didn't become popular until 4, but you know what I mean). But mostly the advertising. Remember the magazine ad? That ad was the reason why I ignored it all these years, until February 2010, when I downloaded the game from the Xbox Live Games on Demand because I played and loved Brutal Legend (yes, BL was my first Tim Schafer game), and wanted to try Tim Schafer's other games, and as soon as I started playing it, I immediately fell in love.

Anyway, Psychonauts 2 might sell somewhat well since the first has a huge fanbase and has had probably millions of downloads from Steam, Gametap, Xbox Live Games on Demand, etc. We'll just have to see.

I think the game would sell well. I mean there's a massive fan base for the first game seeing as most people here love the game and there are probably loads more people world wide. Its addition to xbox originals on xbox live helped many other people to get into the game and if they advertised the game properly this time more new people could get into the game boosting the sales of the orignal as well.

well i downloaded the game on my comp a long time ago thats when gametap was free for download lol and they had a free download of psychonauts for a limited time and my comp sucked but i still played a little bit of it (well just the first intro and ran around for fun but my comp sucked back than) after about 2 years i heard my friend talking about that the xbox live has old xbox titles and i wanted to check if it had psychonauts and as i scrolled through i saw it and so i bought a 1600 card and went to my friends house went on my account and downloaded the game and now since i got my own xbox i play it at my house now and i love it. So if they made another one i think it will sell great because just looking at how many topics and how many people posts stuff on this forum there seems to be so many people who like the game just as much as i do and i would play the game on xbox 360 if they make it for it

Sorry for ranting lol

I want tim to use the community to get the money required to make this game. I would literally invest money in double fine if it ment seeing a psychonauts 2

Eh, putting money into game where you have no idea on how it'll turn out sounds iffy to me. I'd rather just buy the game when or if it comes out

Besides, the number of people in the community who would like a sequel AND would be willing to pay for it's development is pretty small. DF probably wouldn't be able to do much with whatever they gain from that

Sign in to follow this