Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chief Wakamakamu

Action Forums Action Game Action Brainstorm Action

Hurray!

Hopefully after playing the demo you guys will have a better idea of what we can do with the program. In the meantime I'm going to try and get a few scripts working

In the meantime I'm going to do my geometry homework! woo.

I'll start making C.H.S. concept art now if thats cool.

Go for it. I think your current Cup Head Guy with the suit is pretty classy, though

Anyway, a point I'd like to bring up regarding art: Character sprites, which ones should we use? There are tons of different ones floating around the internet, and I think we should settle on just one kind before any of us go off and create our own sprites

It's kind of an important point because 1) We have to make sure whatever sprite we choose to work with actually works in the game itself (because apparently some don't) and to a lesser degree 2) to keep the art style consistent

The exception to that would be monsters, they can be whatever size as long as they're not too huge or anything

Hurray!

Hopefully after playing the demo you guys will have a better idea of what we can do with the program. In the meantime I'm going to try and get a few scripts working

Alright.

In the meantime, may I suggest this for the messaging system?

Sounds good, but judging by the topic date alone, I think it's outdated

RPG Maker XP came out in September '05. That topic is from Feb of the same year

But nevermind, I'm sure an updated version exists somewhere c:

Sounds good, but judging by the topic date alone, I think it's outdated

RPG Maker XP came out in September '05. That topic is from Feb of the same year

But nevermind, I'm sure an updated version exists somewhere c:

Alright. Have fun looking!

Talksprites? You mean like character portraits that pop up when they're talking?

Because if thats what you mean, I was hoping on doing something like in Homestuck. Simply because they're awesome, and also because the current message box tends to cut off the last few letters of text in a line. So a bigger text box would be pretty cool

Also gives us a chance to include some wicked sweet art for the game

Any idea what kind of combat system we're using?

my personal favorite for turn-based RPGs is the kind that are based on action commands (like in the first two paper mario games the good ones) but I realize that's not everybody's cup of tea. Plus, I'm not even sure if you can do that in RPGmaker.

Remember, you need to have a copy of RPG Maker XP AND extract everything from the WinRAR archive

Alright, so making custom tilesets is more of a pain in the ass that I thought

So I'm suggesting an alternative that may just reduce the workload considerably. In RPG Maker there are things called "Panoramas" which is basically a detailed background that shows up behind ground tiles. They're used to make it look like you're walking on a plane thats more parallel to your vision instead of the regular bird's eye view

Since they fall behind the first tile layer, you can still walk on them, while adding more things on top, like events or NPCs or whatever. I'm thinking we just find some of those from the interwebs and change the walkable areas so that you can't walk all over the sky. It makes everything look nicer, and also gives our artists freedom to create a background with 3D space

In case you can't quite see what I'm getting at here, look up Legend of Mana gameplay on Youtube. It's something very similar to that

Alright, so making custom tilesets is more of a pain in the ass that I thought

So I'm suggesting an alternative that may just reduce the workload considerably. In RPG Maker there are things called "Panoramas" which is basically a detailed background that shows up behind ground tiles. They're used to make it look like you're walking on a plane thats more parallel to your vision instead of the regular bird's eye view

Since they fall behind the first tile layer, you can still walk on them, while adding more things on top, like events or NPCs or whatever. I'm thinking we just find some of those from the interwebs and change the walkable areas so that you can't walk all over the sky. It makes everything look nicer, and also gives our artists freedom to create a background with 3D space

In case you can't quite see what I'm getting at here, look up Legend of Mana gameplay on Youtube. It's something very similar to that

That sounds like it could end up being pretty cool. Or maybe you could get some of your friends here at DFAF to work on some.

Yeah, it also makes things WAY easier, since even if we need custom tilesets we only need 1 which is an impassable 'block'

And yeah, if anyone wants to make some backgrounds, then by all means go for it

Keep in mind one little thing, that if you want to have an object, like trees, appear on top of a character (like they were passing under it) you need to have that object saved, by itself on a transparent background and send it my way. I'll convert it into a tile so it can be placed on the upper layers

Same thing if you want to make a walkable foreground like a large platform with a non-walkable mountain background in the distance

Quest one Rough draft v2. need some ideas for quest 2 if anyone has any.

Scarecrow dies and our heroine is left with the task of making sure all the relics are safe. She first ventures out of the shrine to the small village just at the bottom of the mountain. The village is being attacked by a monster. Our hero goes in to defeat it but just before she pounces, Warrior the warrior jumps in and tries to take it on by himself. He fails and decides to join our hero to take the monster down. After the battle Warrior properly introduces himself and tells us that he was sent by his master to come see Scarecrow about the missing relics. He is then told that Scarecrow is dead and that our hero was tasked by Scarecrow to protect the relics. Warrior decides to join our hero in her quest and thus is the first party member.

After some traveling our team comes to the first relic spot; a town called (Put Town Name Here). The town is known for its craft of clothing and armor making for MMO’s and game avatars. However, there is no soul in the village, only a bunch of hats. The team decides to go to the city hall. It is here our team finds the first person of the town: Katez, The Hat Queen. She is wearing a very steampunky dress and has 5 hats on her heads.

Katez tell our heroes that a witch put a curse over the town turning everyone in to hats so that no one would stop her from reaching the relic just outside of town. Katez joins the team and they go off to the first dungeon.

The dungeon (Insert Dungeon Name Here) looks like a very large, abandoned art museum, mixed with that of a Roman garden. Katez tells us that this used to be an old shop that sold the armor and cloths to people, but have scène then, closed down due to online orders and Hot Topic buying them out. Thus, the building was left to rot.

Our heroes then go through the dungeon and are at the room of the relic. Just before they enter the room, Katez trips and her hats fall off. Katez ask where she is and seems to have forgotten everything that has just happened. Warrior then picks up all of her hats, but while he tries to put them back on her head they attack Warrior and dart in to the relic room.

It is then revealed that Katez was possessed by a Hat Monster who is working for the man that killed Master Scarecrow. The Monster teleports the relic to his master and then attacks out heroes. After the fight, they head back to town where the town’s folk have been transformed back in to humans. Katez then decides to join the team on their quest but Warrior disapproves of this because he thinks that Katez may be working for the bad guys and considers her weak because she was tricked by the hat monster.

Whoa, what? What's all this? I thought it was more like:

katez shows up in the town, tells the heroes some stuff, then disappears. One of the locals says after she leaves something like "you know I could have sworn her hair was brown before this all started, but I'm not sure about anything anymore." then you go to the dungeon, fight through the dungeon (I think it should look like a museum or a greek temple, you know the style of architecture) and at the end it turns out Katez is the person behind all the villagers turning into hats, you defeat her and her hat falls off, her hair and eyes turn brown, her teeth and ears become un-pointy, and the hat attacks you. When it's defeated you say something like "Your mistress is dead" as a passing statement in your victory monologue and it goes "pssh, her? She's just a puppet. A foolish villager who tried to stop us. No matter, she's dead now, thanks to you. ha ha ha" and then teleports out with the relic, it turns out Katez is alive but only just, you take her back to the village where everyone is re-human'd and she gets healed, as you're leaving town she catches up to you and joins your party. Warrior doesn't trust her but she proves herself useful in battle as a mage. (not to mention the voice of reason in contrast to Warrior)

Btw before being possessed she was a milliner with an interest in magic and traveled to the big city once in a while to compete in the arena battles. She never won anything big, and she did lose once in a while but her win rate was higher than her lose rate. She figured that with her combined knowledge of battle magery and knowledge of the construction of hats she could defeat the plague, but after battling her way through the dungeon she found at the end a perfectly ordinary (but lovely) hat with exceptional quality and elegance of construction... and a mirror. This was her downfall.

I like Katez's version, she's certainly prominent enough to be a boss, though I think it would be better if there was a way to find out she was possessed beforehand, and save her instead of fighting her -- if you fight her, she should die a tragic death. It would make the player feel guilty, which is always awesome.

I didn't put in many of the details yet cause a lot of them are still under debate and also to see what everyone thinks of it so I know what to add/take off. Also like I stated this is a ROUGH DRAFT so it can STILL BE CHANGE so don't everyone start getting fussy at me.

Okay I just want to come out and say PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NO MORAL EVENT BRANCHES

It's hard enough trying to events to trigger only after a certain other event has taken place, and then set them so that they can't be triggered again (so you don't end up doing a "Kill the monsters quest" over and over again, you see), I could really do without having to make another branch as an alternative, and then rig them so that they fit within the story's frame.

Remember, guys: We're not pros, just some folks on a forum who are coming together to make a game.

Also, we really need more input from other forum members. So far it's just been the few of us talking, and I'd be kind of pissed if we do complete the game and someone goes "Oh, but if THIS was in the game it would've been so much better!". No, I don't want to hear that at all. If you have a REASONABLE idea you think would be good to include in the game, speak up! We can't use an idea if we don't hear it

Okaaay...either way, Imma have to make a few map changes.

Also, I like Katez's idea.

Just sayin'.

Hey, Zerg, can I just make up the main protagonist, or do you have something in mind?

Just sayin'.

Hey, Zerg, can I just make up the main protagonist, or do you have something in mind?

Sorry, Katez already did that and she's amazing. However! We still don't have anything for the villain. I haven't really come up with anything yet, so far I'm thinking Bobby Koltick but we would probably be charged for it. Also we need stuff for enviroments too.

Just sayin'.

Sorry, Katez already did that and she's amazing. However! We still don't have anything for the villain. I haven't really come up with anything yet, so far I'm thinking Bobby Koltick but we would probably be charged for it. Also we need stuff for enviroments too.

I CAN STILL DO THAT.

I was thinking the spambots could be the main enemies or something.

Is there any chance I could make an appearance in this game?

It sounds awesome. I think I'm a prominent enough member here, even if I mysteriously pop in and out of being active every now and then.

Hell, I'm a supreme forum diety. :P

I wouldn't want to be a recurring character or anything, although that would be awesome.

Maybe I could be a mysterious stranger named Rai that shows up every now and then...

Funny, I was just pondering that myself

But yeah, the reason is theres no real cooperation here besides idea contribution, so it's kind of hard to get it going. If people don't feel like doing it, I'm not gonna force them. It'd be cool if something came out of all this brainstorming, though

Hmmmm, yeah you're right.

Well if cooperation is the problem, we could make it an MMO using Eclipse, and make everyone admins. All we would need is for someone to host it, and everyone would be ably to work on it at any time.

Sign in to follow this