Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EdgyMcSpoon

If You Loved Stacking and Want to Thank Double Fine Publicly, Post Here?

I know I am new to this forum, and probably don't have the XP behind my name to make such a thread. However, I felt that such a thread was necessary.

If you feel that this is not the case, please state so. ;)

Anyways...

Stacking is an amazing title. I've only played an hours worth so far, and have immediately purchased the full game. I cannot think of one title that has combined such a simple concept with such a unique and diverse approach. The concept of the stage play is amazing, the animations are simple and cute, the character designs are fantastic, and of course the writing is top notch. Doublefine has surely made my day with this title, as they always do.

So, Thank you Lee Petty, Tim Schafer and everyone at Doublefine who worked on this game. I hope you are able to make lots more fantastic titles in the future!

We are all Double Fine fan geeks here, Edgy. I'm sure they appreciate these threads!

I'm only a little into the game so far, but gotta say: My mind is blown away! Spectacular artwork and gameplay- and love the dialogue..uhm.. log as well as the movie archive. Perfect for people like me who want to see the old timey animations over and over.

You guys really outdid yourselves!

I just want to say this:

I want to watch last night's episode of Dirty Jobs from on demand, but my wife is busy trying to get 100% on Stacking.

I just want to say this:

I want to watch last night's episode of Dirty Jobs from on demand, but my wife is busy trying to get 100% on Stacking.

Who is going to be the first poster here to post a screen shot of of their 100% in Stacking???????

The game is beautiful. Mechanics are great, it's flowing and for the first time in a while I am actually compelled to pay attention to the story. Well done, guys, the game kicks ass.

I would just like to say a big thank you to Double Fine, particularly Tim Schafer and Lee Petty for making such a fun and visually exciting game for us all. Cheers guys!

Hey Edgy Mcspoon I checked out your link and it's pretty impressive stuff. Do you study animation somewhere? If so were do you study? Thanks!

I need a few more hi-jinks to get my 100%.

Costume Quest was sweet, but Stacking stole my heart. It's simply AWESOME. I really hope there'll be DLCs (more than one, please!) or a full fledged sequel.

Double Fine, tahnk you!!!

Thank you for this great game, bring on a sequel!! I would of 100% this, but I busy playing this and LBP 2! Sonny I will play Costume Quest finally!! Since I took advantage of the sale Sony was having a few weeks back!!

Thanks for playing and posting everybody!

We're really glad you like the game and hope to do a million more like it!

Well...

...a MILLION is a lot. That might give us carpal tunnel syndrome. But a bunch more.

Hey, Tim! Does Lee Petty check the forums as well?

Anyhow, thanks to the whole DF team for bringing us another great game!

Thanks for the great game Tim and Lee and Doublefine! Also, can you please get started on the next DLC : "Journey to the Centre of the Schnitzel Museum" as soon as possible.

hey guys kudos for the amazing job on the game, was a real pleasure to play, we need more games like this in XBLA! (or PSN, depend the system you play on)

Big thanks for the game guys. Excellent gameplay mechanic, really unique and fun, which is a rare sight these days. Keep making those amazing, awesome games.

Oh, I would also like to compliment the final boss design, especially the last segment (spoilers obviously).

It may not look extremely imaginative, being a simple game of RPS, however considering the limitations of puzzle oriented stacking mechanic, which does not exactly lends itself easily for combat, it was probably the best balance between the need to use the stacking system and the need to keep the fight quick paced and dynamic.

However what I've most enjoyed was the experience of fighting your equal, someone who could use the game's unique system, which until recently was entirely in your domain, just as well as you.

It's hard to find something to compare it with, since most of the time the boss fights either pit a small agile hero against big hulking monstrosities, or against a comparable sized, but stronger opponent with a few fixed move-sets.

However I do have one good example of a such a boss fight against an equal. It was the fight against the boss Ninetails in the Clover studios great game Okami. The Okami had an divine brush magic system, which allowed you to affect the outside world in a rather original way. You could at practically any time initiate the brush mode, effectively pausing the game and turning your screen grayish, like a water color picture. Then you could use the brush to paint special symbols for wind, fire, lightning and so on, which caused them to happen after you've unpaused the game.

What made the Ninetails so special was the fact that he was the only other person in the game, who could also use the divine brush system. He could initiate the brush mode on his own, casting magic at you, and if you drew your own brush symbols too slowly he could butt in in your drawing time, drawing his own symbol and ending your drawing time prematurely, effectively canceling your cast and hurting you with his magic at the same time (a bit like the fast draw duel between the wild west gunfighters). The fight was extremely fast paced and dynamic, and when you've finally defeated him, extremely rewarding. To this day it is one of my favorite boss fights in any videogame.

So anyway, thank you for making an exiting boss who could challenge you on your own ground.

i don't know if this fits your criteria, but there are a number of games where you have to fight a "dark" version of yourself that has the same moves. (zelda and dragon age immediately come to mind)

personally, i would have ended the game once you knock the baron down from his perch. i hope it's not too much of a cliche, but i would have liked to discover that underneath it all the big bad baron was just a wimpy spiteful kid or something equally pathetic.

Yeah, I know about the dark versions, it's similar but not exactly the same thing, not unless the experience is qualitatively radically different from other bosses, forcing you to think on the whole other level. Although I'll admit that it's really hard to draw the line between the standard tactic of learning and adapting to behavior of a normal interesting boss, and being challenged on a sort of a meta-game level. I can give you another example - the fight with The End in the MGS3.

Unlike all other bosses in the game (who by the way also follow the great MGS tradition of being rather interesting and challenging), who prefer fighting in the close quarters, The End is a sniper. He prefers to fight you at the long range, lying in ambush for a long time, changing positions after each shot. The challenge becomes figuring out his location (using all these high tech devices like the directed microphones or IR goggles, which until then was just the fun extras), and figuring the best way to blindside him.

In this type of fight you not only have to adapt to the boss' moving patterns, but you have to think on a more strategic level, close to playing the metagame with the other player.

Well Double Fine you did it again. You made a unique game that really is a breath of fresh air to the FPS dominated market. But Brutal Legend and Stacking both are really short. Dissapointing seeing as there both amazing games. DLC for Stacking please!

Well Double Fine you did it again. You made a unique game that really is a breath of fresh air to the FPS dominated market. But Brutal Legend and Stacking both are really short. Dissapointing seeing as there both amazing games. DLC for Stacking please!

DLC for Brutal Legend please! :cheese:

Sign in to follow this