Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Just for kids?

I know it's Sesame Street, but considering what they did with Costume Quest I don't think we can write this off entirely as a just-for-kids game quite yet. So, do you thing it'll be something that is just going to occupy the kids, or something that would actually be fun to play with a younger sibling, or something that (dare I say) might be fun for an adult to play alone? Will there be a secret room in Cookie Monster's level where we get to experience his crippling guilt over the fire at the Cookie Factory?

I don't think so, its not just Sesame Street, its Sesame Street and Kinect. I think if I had a younger sibling I would have some fun I guess, but mini-games don't really appeal to a lot of adults. Plus I have absolutely no nostalgia for Sesame Street as I never watched it so I'll just pass on this game.

I find it unlikely that this game will have too many things that appeal to us -- in fact, I think the point will be missed if it actually tries to appeal to us. While I'm pretty sure I wouldn't personally get the game, the fact that Double Fine is lending their talents towards making an excellent experience for young children is wonderful. How many truly great EC games can you name? Ten years from now, When I'm raising my kids, I want to be able to introduce them to quality games that are actually suited for them.

So that's the target audience. Gaming parents, and their young kids. I.E, Tim and his daughter.

That's the great thing about sesame street, it's written on two levels. There's humour for the kids but humour for the adults as well. I think this is a great pairing, the humour of doublefine and the humour of sesame street really match. Good luck guys! I hope this sells really well!

I really hope it won't be a kids only game. I think it may be a Humongous-type game: formally they are for kids, but many adults still enjoy them

I remember the days of Sesame Street's opening sequence, where you'd see kids in the park playing with their parents and having a blast outside. It seems kind of sad that this game is going to be limited to inside use. But, it should be more interesting to see if a child will learn more when they're moving around and playing than simply sitting down and watching Cookie monster recite the ABCs on the TV. If anything, I hope this game makes kids want to go outside and play more, I mean, it's fun with a virtual character, but it's a whole lot more fun going outside with friends or family and having a ball.

I don't think this game needs to cater to adults other than involving them in their child's education. I could see it be a great gap-bridge between children and their parents. If the parents are willing to play along, they might see that their child is learning and developing a better sense of themselves. If Double Fine makes it easy enough to have this communication between parent and child, then it will be more beneficial to the parent. Parents don't always "get" technology, but if they "get" the purpose of the technology disguised as a game to be a tool to learning how to teach their child the right values and morals, then DF will have succeeded.

Although what Miriku commented on wouldn't be unexpected, as almost all children-orientated entertainment does have slight offhand remarks that might cater to adults.

Whether this will be solely marketed to kids, I'm unsure, as there's been no info on the PR plan for this game. However, Sesame Street and many other children-oriented media companies do take time to put together parent-education packages, so they can understand better the things that are being taught to their children. I think Double Fine is a company that understands this, as some are parents themselves, and they definitely know who they're crafting this game for.

hmm yeah i think this thread is mostly wishful thinking on my part. i'm glad the world will be getting an edutainment game that doesn't suck, though. i always hated those types of games (except for Carmen Sandiego, who could hate her)

I used to like Freddie the fish, does anyone remember the Freddie the fish games?

I remember Freddy, though I never played those games. I remember Putt-Putt though... man, why did that car go to the moon?

Another games that come to my mind are Scooby-Doo (Fun Park Phantom, Ghost Town and Phantom of the Knight) and Creature Crunch. I hope Once Upon A Monster will be this kind of a game, not the "Fill in multiplication table" and "2+2=?" kind.

I liked the Jump Start games myself~ I had 1st through 4th grade, and the only one I completed was 3rd grade because I totally had a schoolgirl crush on Botley ((which I still do kind of))

Also yesss Humongus games were awesome~ I loved the Putt-Putt and Freddie Fish games, and also that one Fatty bear one

aaaa nostalgia~~~

Sign in to follow this