Sign in to follow this  
St mort

The not-very-official-in-fact-almost-unofficial suggestion thread

Come on, I can't be the only one who has some cool idea they wanna see in Brutal legend, so I figured I'd try to create a single thread to house all the neat or weird suggestions we come up with between now and that oh so distant release date. Also makes it easier for the Dev's to actually find our ideas. (Developer gratitude can be sent in the form of free DoubleFine merchandise to 666 fierce road, Australia (Aka the land down under. Get it? Huh? Ya get it? Cause it's like, hell. Well, not really, I mean Australia is a kinda cool country but... whatever))

Anyhow, I do have a suggestion. We already have an axe in the game. And we also have a magic guitar. Wouldn't it be cool if, at some point in the game, these two totally awesome items combine to form a item that is even more awesome then the sum of it's parts? So you'd have like a guitar, but when Eddie swings it by the neck, these hugely over-sized blades come out from the body. That way, you won't have to put your axe away when you start playing those sweet facemelting riffs of rock n roll megadeath!

It would be great to have just more than goths and hair-metal guys being the enemies on the game. We need to have also the ultra-evil Black Metal guys being in there too. Don't get me wrong, I like Black Metal bands like Emperor, Enslaved, Darkthrone, Dimmu Borgir and the like, but they do look more evil than your regular MotorHead, Megadeth and Dio. Bring a Cradle of Filth look-alike to be a boss and I will be more happy than flies around shit.

It would be great to have just more than goths and hair-metal guys being the enemies on the game. We need to have also the ultra-evil Black Metal guys being in there too. Don't get me wrong, I like Black Metal bands like Emperor, Enslaved, Darkthrone, Dimmu Borgir and the like, but they do look more evil than your regular MotorHead, Megadeth and Dio. Bring a Cradle of Filth look-alike to be a boss and I will be more happy than flies around shit.

What makes you think goths and glams are the only enemies? I'm sure there will be much more. Something tells me many different types of genres will be represented in BL, not just different types of rock. I also don't think including Black Metal folks would be good idea since it would make Eddie, his music, and his minions seem less Brütal by comparison. Unless they're represented as some sort of creepy ally or something.

I, for one, can't wait to hit those emo-rockers with an axe.

Hopefully we get to kill people from completely different genres of music (like pop ¬¬) too.

If it doesn't fit the storyline otherwise, you can always make it into a nightmare scene.

Yes! A powerful synthplayer uses his control of music to lull Eddie into a nightmare sleep, where he must battle his boyband pop twin in a light, happy, sickly sweet land of white, bunnies and vain cheerleaders that are not from hell.

What makes you think goths and glams are the only enemies? I'm sure there will be much more. Something tells me many different types of genres will be represented in BL, not just different types of rock. I also don't think including Black Metal folks would be good idea since it would make Eddie, his music, and his minions seem less Brütal by comparison. Unless they're represented as some sort of creepy ally or something.

You do bring a good point on Eddie's music not looking more brutal than Black Metal.

I like suggestion threads. Here is my contribution:

Keeping the game trailer in mind and everything that we've learned from the Game Informer article, I have some suggestions beyond the 70's and 80's music that might play well with this game even if they are just soundtracks for the game. Here are the respective videos of some of the music that I think would do well with Brütal Legend:

Danzig:

TWIST OF CAIN

Megadeth:

SYMPHONY OF DESTRUCTION

99 WAYS TO DIE

White Zombie:

BLACK SUNSHINE

THUNDERKISS '65

Pantera:

CEMETERY GATES

COWBOYS FROM HELL

I imagine we will get some AC DC "Hells Bells" or something along those lines that fits the 70's to early 80's theme of Heavy Metal rather than these suggestions of mine though. Either way, the game already rocks with the few artists they have mentioned. Anything more, and it is just that much more cool.

I really hope for long hours of game play. You know, ones that make you lock yourself in your room without eating for a week.

I really hope for long hours of game play. You know, ones that make you lock yourself in your room without eating for a week.

But not too long. I think Psychonauts had a good length. I hate jumping into games that I you know won't end for another 70 hours. I'm looking at you, Final Fantasy.

But not too long. I think Psychonauts had a good length. I hate jumping into games that I you know won't end for another 70 hours. I'm looking at you, Final Fantasy.

Well, that is true. I guess I didn't mean that long.

But you know, maybe extra elements of gameplay that can also add more time to the main game as well?

You know, it would be awesome if you could cut off someone's hair as a sign of victory. Nothing makes emos cry more than the loss of their hair. ...Well, okay, maybe not nothing, but they are pretty attached to their hair. (And I find the thought of bald emos hilarious.)

Also, a lighter that boosts the morale of your hard rock comrades--the bigger the flame, the bigger the boost.

Even though this game is shaping up to be more serious than Psychonauts, and indeed, many of Tim's works, I don't want the humour to be lessened because of it. I'm fine with changing the tone of the humour to reflect the seriousness, but I'd prefer that it isn't removed as much as it was in, say, Full Throttle, which only had a few funny lines.

Also, I don't want there to be excessive violence. From the trailer it looks too violent for my tastes already. I don't like the idea of Tim selling out to appeal to the masses of teens who just want endless gore and little else. Gratuitous violence shows immaturity, and I know that Tim is a very mature and clever developer who shouldn't have to stoop to that. I realize the whole metal theme needs some gore, but not as much as I saw in that trailer.

Even though this game is shaping up to be more serious than Psychonauts, and indeed, many of Tim's works, I don't want the humour to be lessened because of it. I'm fine with changing the tone of the humour to reflect the seriousness, but I'd prefer that it isn't removed as much as it was in, say, Full Throttle, which only had a few funny lines.

Also, I don't want there to be excessive violence. From the trailer it looks too violent for my tastes already. I don't like the idea of Tim selling out to appeal to the masses of teens who just want endless gore and little else. Gratuitous violence shows immaturity, and I know that Tim is a very mature and clever developer who shouldn't have to stoop to that. I realize the whole metal theme needs some gore, but not as much as I saw in that trailer.

I don't think that Double Fine is selling out, Metal needs as much gore as possible, or else it isn't metal, I don't think you could do some kind of "light" game about it.

By doing that, they would oh so much more be selling out, and could then as well do that country game Tim said the publisher suggested.

I actually felt that Psychonauts wasn't long enough. But then again I didn't sleep the entire time.

What I'd really like to see is a "Snap shot" tool, or something like that. Something that’s just for fun, but it lets you take in-game screen shots and then you can make totally EPIC ALBUM COVERS, and add different fonts and stuff.

That might be fun.

OH OH! Or Guitar Hero game controller compatibility for some parts of the game! Like a wicked boss battle or something!

Maybe an option to turn off the gore or at least lessen it like Moniloth/Sierra did for fear. I know its metal and all, and I myself can stand gore and violence (huge, huge survival horror and general horror game fan talknig here), but it still would be amazingly nice to have that option, just for us who could do without out as much violence or like for one of my friends who's a huge fan of Tim's games, but can't stand blood and such. I dunno if it's just me thinking this, but it could be a nice extra touch to a fantastic game.

I have a great idea, and I'm not trying it be snarky or anything, but why dosen't someone make a new thread about the gore in Brutal Legend?

We're kind of getting off topic.

Another suggestion: flamethrowers on that hotroad of yours. Perhaps not right away, but as an upgrade. Maybe they come out the sides of your massive exhaust pipes on the side, shooting massive arches of flamey goodness to all the people at your side, thus saving you from the trouble of actually aiming when you try to run somebody over!

Also, woot, sticky thread. Yay. Now I want a free shirt. Please?

Pretty please?

I'll wear one of those playboy bunny ears and send the picture into that bunny section of the wanted ads if you give me a free shirt. Or a yoyo. Hell, I'd do it for a button set. Or an autograph (From Tim, preferably, but I'd make do with the scribbled signature of a random intern)

More about the hotrod...

Is there anyway you guys could make a throw-back to Grim Fandango?

You guys should name it the Bone Wagon. That name dosen't have a copywrite, does it?

Well, anyway, if you guys don't, that's just what I'm going to call it anyway... because it's awesome.

Perhaps there could be a cheat/unlockable that makes the hotrod look like the bone wagon, assuming there's no copyright?

Well actually, it looks a lot like it already, at least, from what I've seen.

If it were a little bit longer...

Anyway, a bit off topic...

I've watched the Brutal Legend video, 20 times... in one day. :D

Hot damn! You're on fire, Sugar Bot! Quick! Now go show that same video 20 times to 20 more people each!

I think it'd be kind of cool to see a little referance here and there of Tim's other games, especially everyone's favorite game about a ten year old psychic kid.

Maybe something where you can mix weapons to make something more awesome than it already is? Like, make a guitar shoot flames or something rad like that.

I think you should be able to build a giant mansion full of groupies.

No, they're metal kittens, so they're pretty hardcore.

What little troopers!

Anyway, back to the volcanoes...

There's totally one on the cover of Game Informer magazene! I just noticed it!

Did you buy it yet, Mister Tuxedo?

It's pretty rad.

I hope you guys add a Kraken... there HAS to be a kraken.

Better yet, a Space Kraken.

That's pretty wicked.

Going back a bit to music suggestions, this game needs Manowar!!!!

If there is one band that lives and breaths what this games seems to be about it is the band that are the Kings of Metal, Manowar. I can't even begin to explain how similar this game and Manowar are....wait maybe a few videos will help those who don't know Manowar

Warriors of the World

Return of the Warlord

Live version of Call to Arms

Random pics with Loki God of Fire playing in the backround

Anyways, like I said, this game and Manowar belong together!

This game desperately cries for one man, one man... to lick it all. One man... to throw all the robot bunnies into the fan. One man.... to lift all the cars. One man.... to jump the gorge. One man... to rock them all. One man.... named Ben!

Seriously, this game needs polecats. Or, if pesky copyright laws try to stop you, a thinly-veiled pastiche. Like... Bill Acceleration and StickDogs.

It should have co-op of some kind and other stuff.

Co-op would be pretty sweet, yeah.