Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Leroy_Rocktopus

Game of Thrones/Song of Ice & Fire

I guess I never noticed it. It's never really bothered me. I do think the books are way better than the show though.

Yeah, I agree with that. I finally picked up Clash of Kings a while ago and started reading it now. I find the character interactions way more meaningful in the books than in the show.

The books feel a lot more graphic too. It makes the world seem more dangerous. They also do a better job of making it seem like there's no real good guys vs bad guys thing.

One thing that really annoyed me about the show compared to the books is how Arya's character arc is developing. First it's how careless she is about the letter she's waving around at Harrenhall, and the problems that cause. Then it's how she just steps out of the castle completely unopposed. Now I've read all the books, but I haven't started watching the third season yet, so I don't know what happens next there yet. It seems to me though that they really mellowed her down for TV and she appears to be more of a silly little school girl than the resourceful tomboy she is in the books. If so, that's a real shame as she's one of the most interesting characters in the books in my opinion.

I agree that the books are better, but with that said I think the show is outstanding. That is why I recommend watching the show first and then reading the books- you get the best of both worlds. The books are still interesting after seeing the show because there is so much more content. That and like you guys mentioned, there are enough differences to make the book a new experience such as the ages of the characters. Btw- having major parts with young children typically is something you can only have in a book as getting good performances out of young actors/actresses is much more difficult to pull off well. Also, I have to agree with Leroy about how the book is somehow more graphic in ways.

Visery's death was pretty gruesome in the show- I don't know how, but the way it was described in the book was even more horrific!

Guess that goes to show you that one's imagination is even more powerful than what one sees.

I should say though that some of the weird crap they put in the show is a bit gratuitous. Little Finger's weird brothel scenes are more distracting than adding to the story in any way, but- I guess sex sells.

Oh, and @seniormeld: I know why the sound is bad in your copies. It's because the original content is for DTS 5.1 surround and probably whoever converted it took everything and it's all coming out as Stereo. In other words, all the info for the 5.1 surround was meshed together and it's all coming out through regular stereo. I'm watching the first season on Blu-Ray right now using a 5.1 surround system and it sounds beautiful. In fact, I just saw that very scene you posted. You can hear the dialogue very clearly, while the other sounds in the market come out less noticeably from the rear and side speakers. Really feels like you're in the middle of the market.

So if your source has both 5.1 and stereo, you should use the one that fits your setup. 5.1 for surround; stereo otherwise. If you can't choose, than that means it's the rip itself that messed it up. The audio data is actually kept separately from the video. It needs to be this way to know which channels go to which speakers.

Re: GoT ep.29: "The Rains of Castamere"

Ok.. I am officially suffering from post-traumatic stress after seeing that. Seriously. I'm going to need counseling.

Ok.. I am officially suffering from post-traumatic stress after seeing that. Seriously. I'm going to need counseling.

I think you learned a lesson.

BLzN7p0CUAAiJFP.jpg

ECewrAld3zw

The Following Has been entirely spoil tagged for those who might not have seen Season 3 - Episode 9 yet. THE ONLY REASON YOU SHOULD HIGHLIGHT THE FOLLOWING IS BECAUSE YOU HAVE WATCHED THIS EPISODE:

This has been the moment I've been dreading this season. I knew it was coming, I knew it would be brutal, but the unflinching purism of the scene, visualized in a way that my imagination, retreating from the massacre when I read it in the book, was unable too was almost more than I could stand to watch. I tip my hat to the showrunners, the cast and the crew. They did the scene prouder than I could have hoped and feared. Walder Frey is a piece of shit.

Now cometh the great shift in allegiance as those fans loyal to House Stark, who after tonight remain with the show, decide who they're going to root for in the long run.

I share your sentiments regarding that scene

Talisa of Volantis dies in the scene, in the books, Jeyne westerling is still alive. Her death was the most shocking.

For those who've only watched the series, I wonder if they expected anything once the "The Rains of Castamere" kicked in

The Mother of Dragons? Bah.

Stannis is Azor Ahai reborn and he wields the Lightbringer!

HAHAHAHAHA! Keep reading.

Heretic! The Old Gods & the 7 are false. The Red Priestess confirmed that Stannis is the chosen of R'hllor. Beric Dondarrion was resurrected many times by R'hllor.

r27hllorworship.jpg

Spoilers for A Dance with Dragons.

Every other follower of the Lord of Light starts flocking to Danaerys since she is actually the resurrection of Azor Ahai. Melisandre doesn't know what the fuck she's talking about, basically.

Heretic! The Old Gods & the 7 are false. The Red Priestess confirmed that Stannis is the chosen of R'hllor. Beric Dondarrion was resurrected many times by R'hllor.

Have you read the books though? Reading flames isn't an exact science. Beric is a good character. Does he appear a lot in the tv series?

EDIT: Yeah, what Leroy said. Remember

where Daenerys was born

?

I watched the last episode (Rains of Castamere) with a girl who watched in total silence. At the end of the episode, she stood up grabbed her purse, and left. She slammed the door on her way out, leaving an unfinished beer on the coffee table. Now she won't talk to me.

I wish I had filmed it for youtube.

@Bookdust: Oh. Totally. Overreaction to the extreme. I happen to have a pussy as well, but I didn't leave the room in an angry huff. :)

HaHa. I see that pussy is automatically blanked out on the forums.

@Bookdust: Oh. Totally. Overreaction to the extreme. I happen to have a pussy as well, but I didn't leave the room in an angry huff. :)

HaHa. I see that pussy is automatically blanked out on the forums.

That wasn't the kind of pussy I was referring to though ; )

I've seen some pretty extreme reactions online (Some are funny, some are understandable) but refusing to talk to someone on account of a fictional event viewed in said person's presence takes the cake.

It was obviously your fault, Mikree. Obviously.

You know it's weird, when I got to the Red Wedding in the book it never occurred to me it would be something that people get that upset about. My reaction was just to sit back and take it all in for a second. I find all of these reactions kind of insane.

It was obviously your fault, Mikree. Obviously.

You know it's weird, when I got to the Red Wedding in the book it never occurred to me it would be something that people get that upset about. My reaction was just to sit back and take it all in for a second. I find all of these reactions kind of insane.

I had the same reaction when I read it. I mean I was blown away, mostly by George R.R. Martin's massive balls. And I was horrified at just how terrible Walder Frey and Roose Bolton are but I sort of took in the brain flipping scope of the event and immediately dove straight back into the book. People claiming that they're done with the series forever, or that they're traumatized or that they have no reason to live anymore. It's like: How could you not want to know what happens next after THAT!?

LOL! I have to watch that whole Conan segment. What was the deal with the half naked dude lying on the floor?

So the rumor is that when writing

A Storm of Swords George Martin first wrote everything but the Red Wedding scene, and then went back and added that last as it was too painful for him to do it in sequence. There's no doubt he of all people loves these characters more than anyone else.

I've read the first two books, and after I finish a few other books on my reading list I'm going to go read A Storm of Swords. From what I understand Season 3 of Game of Thrones is only about half of the book, and Season 4 will be the other half. After that I'm not sure what I'll do. Should I break my strategy of watching the show first? I mean scenes like

the Red Wedding

are exactly why I like watching the show first. It makes it even more dramatic, and then helps me prepare for the book which I personally think would be more painful to endure those moments for a first time experience.

I've talked to a few people who've read the books and I've gotten interesting opinions about which book was their favorite. Sadly, I hear from quite a few that say A Feast for Crows and a Dance with Dragons seem to kind of wander about aimlessly with a bunch of new characters. However, I'd like to give Martin the benefit of the doubt as he completes the final two books in that he knows what he's doing and that all these other stories will lead up to a satisfying conclusion. I mean he's done so well so far.

Oh, and in regards to where my allegiance will go now: it's still with House Stark

the ending of A Clash of Kings was actually quite a hopeful one.

But if I had to choose another claimant to the throne it would be Daenaery's, not for House Targaryen, but just because she seems to be better than any of the other a-holes in Westeros at the time being.

Not sure how the book goes yet, but in the show it's pretty much Stannis' fault Catelyn and Robb died. From the scene with the burning leeches I knew Robb was probably going to die so I was somewhat prepared for that. But how Catelyn did was excruciatingly sad. The only thing I remain hopeful for is that Stannis also named Joffrey in that scene. *Rubs hands together malevolently*

Sign in to follow this