Sign in to follow this  
pharmmajor

Favorite games of the Double Fine team

I'm asking this out of pure curiosity, but I'd really like to know what Tim, Tasha, Lee, and the rest of the Double Fine crew consider their favorite games. The ones they love to play, the ones that inspired them to get into the gaming industry, the best they've seen from the past and currently.

oh man, there are so many. but off the top of my head in no particular order, some of my favorites:

Earthbound

Okami

Zelda series

Frequency/Amplitude

Suikoden 1-3

Final Fantasy Tactics

Psychonauts

World of Warcraft

Thanks Tasha. I had a feeling you were a fan of Earthbound; there's a bit of that quality present in Costume Quest (which by the way I thank you very much for bringing into existence)

Hell yeah Frequency/Amplitude are great fun! Have you ever played Rez? It's like an abstract take on the concept.

oh man, there are so many. but off the top of my head in no particular order, some of my favorites:

Earthbound

Okami

Zelda series

Frequency/Amplitude

Suikoden 1-3

Final Fantasy Tactics

Psychonauts

World of Warcraft

I LOVE YOU.

So much Japan! So much RPG! Costume Quest is not surprising in this context.

This is the hardest question ever, but I'm kind of in the mood to answer. In (I think?) reverse chronological order

Red Dead Redemption

Half Life 2

Resident Evil 4

Halo CE

Ocarina of Time

Grim Fandango

Lion King

Super Mario Brothers 3

Major Havoc

I gotta ask. Which version of Lion King? As a kid I played the hell out of the GameGear version.

I played it first on Genesis, but the SNES version was the same. Unlike Aladdin, which was FAR superior on the Genesis.

zomg yeah, Genesis Aladdin was great! GameGear version of that wasn't bad either. Thanks for answering! ^_^

And thats why you are the way you are... but I <3 you anyway

I'm glad you said Halo. A lot people who post here always talk about how overrated it is. I get kind of sick of it.

I'm really bad at answering that question. I'm also really bad at remembering which films and artists I like until I happen to get into a conversation about it. Here are some games that currently come to mind, in no particular order.

Ico

Deus Ex

Resident Evil 4

Twisted Metal 2

The Return of Heracles

Halo

Wipeout XL

Planetfall

Battle Arena Toshinden

Half Life

Ridge Racer 4 (R4)

Rampart

-- Lee

Neat! I always wanted to play Ico after Shadow of the Colossus- just never got around to it. Great thread!

I'm glad Lee Petty mentioned Battle Arena Toshinden. Those early polygon models were super sweet, as was that square waterfall in the background of the floating stage, (you know, in the canyon)

As for my all important and well respected list, wanna hear it, here it goes:

X-com

Shadow of Collosi

Tetris

Castlevania, SotN

Zelda, SNES... By the way, why does everyone always throw out Ocarina. It was weak all around compared to the Snes Zelda. How does Ocarina open: a boring training slosh through a poorly planed town followed by a quest through a tree.

Compare that to the beginning of Link to the past (not to mention the fantastic pun), It opens with a rainstorm and a warning not to go outside, which of course you do, and then find a secret entrance to the castle, find your uncle, Dying (intense stuff). His last breath is betrothing you the sword. Then you fight you way through the castle, with wicked glorious music, and, in the opening of the game, rescue the princess and bring her to the sanctity of the chapel, where you think she might be safe...for now.

I am positive that Link to the past's beginning shocks the socks off of some lame discussion with a tree that belongs in Epcot, the lamest of the kingdoms. Glory Be! I've worked myself into such a tizzy that I refuse to continue my amazing list until someone acknowledges Snes Zelda, AND its lack of deserved respect.

-E

my best favorite games are God of war 1,2,3 and residen evil 4

Double Fine didn't make those games ;)

my best favorite games are God of war 1,2,3 and residen evil 4

Double Fine didn't make those games ;)

Wait wait, is this a thread about everyone's favourite games made by Double Fine? Or Double Fine staff members' favourite games made by everyone else?

Read the OP.

Read the OP.

Raises hand... I totally didn't!

I love weird games. My favorites btw are:

Typing of the Dead

Shining Force II

Saturn Bomberman

Jumping Flash

Mr. Driller

Beyond Oasis

Viva Pinata

Seaman

Taiko Drummaster

Psychonauts (not lying)

As long as we're talking about everyone's favorite topic, and the favorites therein, mighten one or a few of you Double Finers comment on what it is that you think is great about the games you chose.

For example: Jumping Flash. Its incredibly hard to play, yet it also a one of a kind experience, and there's something strangely appealing about both the simple polygon work, (I am a fan of polygons, ever since geometry) and the amazing power-ups.

Some games are about story, others are about experience.

Me personally, I believe that excellent games use environments very well, like the first time you look up in halo and see how the ring arches over the sky above you, and then get sniped from half a halo away. Or riding your horse through the peaceful and beautiful lands of Colossus. Or exploring many roomed castle of Dracula. Or just jumping around a colorful world as a robabbit (Jumping Flash).

What video games can do, that no other medium can, is allow the user to explore two or three dimensional space. Putting thought into the look and feel and rules of that space sculpt it into an environment, and hopefully an interesting one.

That's what makes excellent games.

What do y'all think?

-E

Jumping Flash
Psychonauts

I agree with these two and I'm glad Jumping Flash has not been forgotten.

P.s. its on the PSN network.

Haha, Typing of the Dead. They really hit the nail on the head with that game, it has everything.

Read the OP.

Raises hand... I totally didn't!

I love weird games. My favorites btw are:

Typing of the Dead

Shining Force II

Saturn Bomberman

Jumping Flash

Mr. Driller

Beyond Oasis

Viva Pinata

Seaman

Taiko Drummaster

Psychonauts (not lying)

Yay, so I'm not the only person here who loves Mr. Driller!