Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
darkboy1200

Local split-screen?

I was curious to know whether or not split-screen would be supported. 2 to 4 local co-op would make for some good times. If not by release, then maybe it's something to think about for a title update or DLC.

I support split screen for all games. No split screen was one of the things that I was disappointed in with Brutal Legend.

Split screen stage battles and Deuce racing would have been amazing.

I still don't understand why so many new-age video games lack split screen. I know the component is pretty well-admired by the majority of gamers. That's the lone reason why I haven't bought a second controller yet, lack of split screen games

Yeah, what's the point of having your console recognize four controllers if you don't have split screen?

Is it just me, or do NONE of Double Fine games have split screen? What's with that, DF?

I love all your games, and I would love to locally play them with all my friends... It's better than waiting in a lobby for 10 minutes for a game, and much more fun since you can rub it in their faces.

People love split screen!

False: A lot of gamers actually don't like split screen.

Also with online being pretty much easily excisable to everyone programing split screen has become slightly pointless. Also online can hold way more players that split screen.

True, but Split-Screen is much more social. And while I'm sure a lot of players don't like it, I'm also sure more do.

I can't think of a SINGLE time I've had a friend or a group of friends over, even those who don't like video games all that much but wanted something to do, and we've wanted to play a video game, and had to scour through my pile of games just to find one with split-screen that we can actually play together.

Also with online being pretty much easily accessible to everyone programing split screen has become slightly pointless. Also online can hold way more players that split screen.

Only gamers with no brain cells think xbox live is easily accessible considering you have to pay for it and all. Also the only gamers that don't like split-screen are the ones that are younger than 12 and didn't grow up with older games.

I love having a split screen option. I own something like 40 ps3 games and only 2 of them have any kind of local multiplayer. 2. That is pitiful.

Also with online being pretty much easily accessible to everyone programing split screen has become slightly pointless. Also online can hold way more players that split screen.

Only gamers with no brain cells think xbox live is easily accessible considering you have to pay for it and all. Also the only gamers that don't like split-screen are the ones that are younger than 12 and didn't grow up with older games.

Uhhh no? Do you know how to get online with an xbox? It's pretty easy and just because you have to pay monthly doesn't make it any harder. Also most games come with online anyways. Why would you all get together and play on 4 really tiny screens that you can't see anything on that lags like a bitch when you can have the same experience online and in the comfort of your own home with less lag and with a full screen?

This is why No one does split screen anymore there is little point and aside from a select few, no one likes it. I mean it's nice to have, specially if you have a friend that doesn't own the game, but that's about it.

Split screen doesn't have to be with four people at all times. The majority of the time for me (and probably most people), I only have one friend over, so we both take half the screen. On most big-ass tv screens these days, this is no problem at all, and completely and entirely worth it. And people play video games on some really freaking small screens anyways (like small tv's, and handheld systems) without a problem. It's not like you can't see what's going on at all, for most split-screen games, everything is still well-defined and very playable.

Uhhh no? Do you know how to get online with an xbox? It's pretty easy and just because you have to pay monthly doesn't make it any harder. Also most games come with online anyways. Why would you all get together and play on 4 really tiny screens that you can't see anything on that lags like a bitch when you can have the same experience online and in the comfort of your own home with less lag and with a full screen?

This is why No one does split screen anymore there is little point and aside from a select few, no one likes it. I mean it's nice to have, specially if you have a friend that doesn't own the game, but that's about it.

Was this meant to be sarcastic?

You have to pay for it monthly doesn't make it harder? Not all people have this option, a lot of people suffer bad internet connection, and some people have to buy Gold cards or whatever. Yes, paying for the service does indeed make it harder.

Lags like a bitch? HAHAHA. No, multiplayer lags way harder than any local multiplayer does, especially considering internet connections like I mentioned above

Same experience? No, like Rai said, local multiplayer is with your friends, and in the same room, allowing much more socialization and fun. How is sitting in a dark closet playing with 12 year old boys better than having a good time with your personal friends? (Private matches are stupid, because if you want to even attempt to try to emulate the experience you have to get everybody on at the same time, and considering most people can't afford headsets, there is a serious lack of socialization.)

No one likes splitscreen? People love splitscreen and still do. Just look around this very thread. All my friends still adore split screen games.

1. paying for something does make it harder, because most people have to work for their money, and if they pay 60$ for a game they expect to get the whole experience of that damn game. It's worse with buying used games because of the bullshit fucking DRM game companies like EA and Ubisoft are using where if you buy it used you have to pay them to get an unlock code to play multiplayer, and pay for xbox live gold which is FUCKING GOD DAMN BULLSHIT!

2. Local multiplayer DOESN'T LAG AT ALL, do you know what lag is? Do you know what causes fucking lag? Dumbass.

3. Have you ever played with another friend offline? Do you have any real life friends? I assume not since you've obviously never played split-screen. Have you ever tried to play a game with your girlfriend because she wants to learn to play games? but GUESS FUCKING WHAT, in order to play ONE FUCKING GAME WITH MY GIRLFRIEND I HAVE TO BUY ANOTHER FUCKING COPY OF THE GAME, AND ANOTHER FUCKING CONSOLE!

4. Why would my friends both have to buy the same exact console to play with each other? If I have a 360 and my friend has a Ps3 then we are FUCKED when it comes to multiplayer, which is where split screen comes in handy.

5. Have you ever heard of rural areas? Or places with too much bandwith thinning? Do you know how much bandwith that online multiplayer uses? Do you know what bandwith is?

6. If you like to be a frugal gamer, and you want to play with a few of your buddies, you have to deal with 1. buying the game, ($30 used, or $60 new) 2. buying xbox live subscription, ($10-$60) 3. buying an internet connection fast enough to play online,($15 -$30 bucks A MONTH) 4. buying a long enough ethernet cable for house that reaches your console or buying an expensive wireless adapter, ($20 or $100) 6. if you buy it used you have to purchase an online multiplayer pass. ($10) 7. ALL OF YOUR OTHER FRIENDS HAVE TO HAVE THE SAME CONSOLE ($200 - $400), THE SAME GAME ($30-$60), AND A GOOD CONNECTION ($15-$30).

7. if you added all that up, it costs you (provided you even have the damn console) $85 - $650 DOLLARS FOR YOU AND EACH OF YOUR FRIENDS TO PLAY!. SO DON'T GIVE ME ANY OF YOUR BULLSHIT THAT ITS NOT TOO HARD TO GET, FUCK FACE.

8. What's the alternative? Add split screen and you only have to buy controllers WHICH LAST FOREVER instead of all that fucking god damn shit.

Bropiphany comes in strong.

eXpLoDeY comes in stronger.

And S- Holy SHIT snips.

(Boy, I lol'd).

1. paying for something does make it harder, because most people have to work for their money, and if they pay 60$ for a game they expect to get the whole experience of that damn game. It's worse with buying used games because of the bullshit fucking DRM game companies like EA and Ubisoft are using where if you buy it used you have to pay them to get an unlock code to play multiplayer, and pay for xbox live gold which is FUCKING GOD DAMN BULLSHIT!

2. Local multiplayer DOESN'T LAG AT ALL, do you know what lag is? Do you know what causes fucking lag? Dumbass.

3. Have you ever played with another friend offline? Do you have any real life friends? I assume not since you've obviously never played split-screen. Have you ever tried to play a game with your girlfriend because she wants to learn to play games? but GUESS FUCKING WHAT, in order to play ONE FUCKING GAME WITH MY GIRLFRIEND I HAVE TO BUY ANOTHER FUCKING COPY OF THE GAME, AND ANOTHER FUCKING CONSOLE!

4. Why would my friends both have to buy the same exact console to play with each other? If I have a 360 and my friend has a Ps3 then we are FUCKED when it comes to multiplayer, which is where split screen comes in handy.

5. Have you ever heard of rural areas? Or places with too much bandwith thinning? Do you know how much bandwith that online multiplayer uses? Do you know what bandwith is?

6. If you like to be a frugal gamer, and you want to play with a few of your buddies, you have to deal with 1. buying the game, ($30 used, or $60 new) 2. buying xbox live subscription, ($10-$60) 3. buying an internet connection fast enough to play online,($15 -$30 bucks A MONTH) 4. buying a long enough ethernet cable for house that reaches your console or buying an expensive wireless adapter, ($20 or $100) 6. if you buy it used you have to purchase an online multiplayer pass. ($10) 7. ALL OF YOUR OTHER FRIENDS HAVE TO HAVE THE SAME CONSOLE ($200 - $400), THE SAME GAME ($30-$60), AND A GOOD CONNECTION ($15-$30).

7. if you added all that up, it costs you (provided you even have the damn console) $85 - $650 DOLLARS FOR YOU AND EACH OF YOUR FRIENDS TO PLAY!. SO DON'T GIVE ME ANY OF YOUR BULLSHIT THAT ITS NOT TOO HARD TO GET, FUCK FACE.

8. What's the alternative? Add split screen and you only have to buy controllers WHICH LAST FOREVER instead of all that fucking god damn shit.

Epic post. ^_^ Props

I override the sensors by putting an opening and closing tag for the bold font in the middle of the word.

How am I an idiot now? Cause I know how things work and how consumers work? BLOODY HELL NOPE! I'm just a dumbass now. If you put some thought in to how people work and not your 4chan gamer logic you would see why these things are the way they are.

Paying for internet and map packs doesn't make it harder. Just because you may have to wait to get money to buy something doesn't make it harder to get. If that was true no one would be playing 360 right now and CoD map packs would not be the number one selling DLC ever.

Local multiplayer lags if there is more than one person, specially for bigger games and not simple ones like Geometry Wars or Castle Crashers. Anything over 2 will end up running slower.

I have many friends and I do play split screen with them. And guess what, if it isn't Castle Crashers then it usually lags.

Why would my friends both have to buy the same exact console to play with each other? Probably cause like with all things in life, you will get the same thing your friends have in order for you all to play with each other. But what? This doesn't apply to YOUR group of friends? Yes, I forgot. You are the only group on the planet that matters now. Lets just ignore all the rest of the 12 year olds and other people that play video games all together and ignore the fact that video games is a huge business that realize on marketing in order to sell products. Cause we all know that advertising doesn't work at all.

I know what bandwidth is. Do you know what it is? Cause if you did then you would realize that everyone else didn't and don't give a rat's ass about it and don't understand. Consumers are stupid and I'm sure you've read or know someone that thinks that it's their computers fault that the internet is running slow instead of their shitty comcast service.

Once again. If cost was a problem no one would buy video games at all. Not everyone is as consumer savy as you, they are willing to spend a lot on some half assed CoD game simple because Doritos and that cool kid at school said so. You also have to know that games are still advertised to kids and teens, meaning they can just have there parents buy them the game. Which if you did some research you would see how true this is.

Online gaming is much easier for everyone and split screen is becoming more and hinder for having to put in a feature that only so few people use. But I'm just some dumb internet troll from /b/ that is saying all of this to piss everyone off. Thanks for blowing everything out of proportion and going full on internet hate machine instead of just politely saying "I don't want to sound rude but I think you are wrong dear old chap!". Good to know we all here have really matured here.

Money = work = hard. Therefore things that cost more money = more work = harder, you don't have any way of disputing that so stop trying. Split screen doesn't lag unless you have poor ventilation on your console and its working too hard, if that's not the reason then you are somehow doing it wrong. Advertisement and stupid costumers have nothing to do with people wanting to socialize with each other in the same setting. Consider how much party games have gained in popularity with the wii, think of how unpopular they would be if there was no split screen party games. Also, your logic is dumb "I don't like it and it means that no one in the world ever uses it, so we should get rid of it." and "Lets take away a feature and get mad at people that want it even though it has NO EFFECT ON ONLINE MULTIPLAYER AT ALL." And its not about you being wrong so much as you not understanding the difference between a split screen experience and online experience. Also, thinking that working for money isn't hard, when you don't even have a job, does in fact make you a huge dumbass.

Goldeneye. Anybody who grew up playing that game with friends all huddled together on the same couch. Shoving each other around and laughing at big-head hijinks knows the joy of splitscreen. A joy that online multiplayer cannot touch.

Say what you will about consumers, about accessibility and pros and cons. It all comes down to people hanging out in the same space and having a good time.

Goldeneye. Anybody who grew up playing that game with friends all huddled together on the same couch. Shoving each other around and laughing at big-head hijinks knows the joy of splitscreen. A joy that online multiplayer cannot touch.

Say what you will about consumers, about accessibility and pros and cons. It all comes down to people hanging out in the same space and having a good time.

I would like to add super smash bros. to list as well as Mario Kart 64.

I would like to add super smash bros. to list as well as Mario Kart 64.

I grew up playing all of those. I just mentioned Goldeneye because it was the first really big Splitscreen game on N64.

The best times I had playing Couch Multiplayer was on Gamecube. Mario Kart Double Dash and Smash Bros. Melee!

Yeah, I had to share my consoles with my brother, so I've been playing local multiplayer my entire life. My favorites where DK 64, Smash Bros. and Streets of Rage.