• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
Deathofthedead

Am I the first person to think of how amazing and wonderful this would be?

Are you ready for this? Because when I thought of it it just about made me pee my pants with how awesome it is.

Ready?

Psychonauts...on 3DS.

Think about it. Anybody who's played Rayman knows that the system's perfect for 3D platformers, it makes judging distances a breeze. And what 3D platformer has more awesome 3D effects than any other? Imagine Milkman Conspiracy in three dimensions.

On top of that (while we're fantasizing), sales from a 3DS port could A) gauge interest in and B) partially fund a sequel. I think there are probably tons of people who never got a chance to try it but have been hearing about it for the past 6 years. And at the moment (until a 3D Mario title launches, at least) there are only a couple of must-have games for the system. Lack of competition could give it the sales boost it needs to be a huge hit.

Anyway, just something I've been thinking a lot about lately, thought I'd share it with my fellow Psychonauts enthusiasts. I know I'd gladly put down $40 for that.

Hmm... it'd be an awesome idea, but I fear a lot of the details would be lost. On a smaller screen some figments would be impossible to find. However, a 3D Milkman Conspiracy would just be the greatest thing ever. o_o

But I think I'd prefer a Psychonauts Wii port (if any porting could be done). It might sell better, though there is the issue of the outdated graphics... and releasing an HD version would either make things even more awesome or go horribly wrong - or just divide the fanbase completely...

Honestly with how unimpressed with the 3DS I am, I'm not very much in support of this idea. I think a portable version would be lovely, but I don't want it on Nintendos latest headache inducing screen.

I love the 3DS... but no. R3D proved that 3D doesn't enhance gameplay, just looks for platformers. The flying shell parts proved that it can be useful in other genres, though.

I'm 90-100% sure it would result in one of those "I can't believe I'm not high" feelings.

DO WANT.

I'm 90-100% sure it would result in one of those "I can't believe I'm not high" feelings.

DO WANT.

For me the only thing that would hold this back is, as has been mentioned, the size of the screen. So much of the platforming, puzzle-solving, combat etc. requires a good field of view, that I just don't see it happening on something a few inches wide.

Really? Size of screen? Not terrible camera controls and the loss of two important buttons and a second analog stick? If this came out, it could have worse controls than the PC version *shudders*

I played the PC version. It was fine. The only time I even remember having trouble were the climbing frames in the Meat Circus, and I'm not even sure I was doing it correctly.

The controls on my PC version were fine; I could finish the game easily. The only supposed porting problems I noticed were the sections that lagged - which only really affected areas of Whispering Rock.

I didn't consider the camera controls, but I see why they'd be pretty bad.

I like platforming with a controller and fps or 3rd person shooting with a mouse/keyboard.

^ Same, in that I have to use a mouse for FPS or it's pretty much impossible for me to aim or control the camera quick enough. It's a bit better for 3rd person shooting, but just marginally. xD I guess I need practice... *shrugs*

Though I don't mind using a mouse/keyboard for platforming.