• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
Milkman

PSN still down

Just saw another post on the playstation blog saying once again they had no information or timeframe. -sigh- I'd just like to know what happened and if the user data was stolen.

On the up side, I did figure out how to get netflix to work without being signed into psn :-P

Still... this is evil.

I hope it's not more /b/ crap. Not that I really care cause I don't own a PS3.

Someone in school was raging about this today. And zerg, I had heard the rumor that it was a 4chan hack, though it was proboably just a rumor. The world may never know. Though I hope for everyone's sake that it gets back online soon (even though it's free) because it's pretty unprofessional of Sony to let this go on so long.

I can see this having a negative effect on the download market. Cloud gaming still has a long way to go, and I'll quit gaming if the market goes digital distributionb only.

@Milk: Sony confirmed user information has been compromised, name, address, login data, email, bloodtype, etc...

and probably credit card too. My credit expired anyway, so no worries.

Just remember that there are a million people using PSN. Odds of your stuff being taking is a million to one. Also remember that the hackers are part of the /b/ legion so they probably didn't even take anything, this is all being done to prove a point that being punished for stealing stuff is an unjust law.

It was a joke. The reason for all of this is because this guy hacked his PS3 because PS3 still have linux or something on them. By doing this he could hack the PNS store and pirate all the games. Sony then arrested him and tried taking him to court which then /b/ found out about and decided to defend him claming that he was just using the features that came with his PS3 and other crap. The whole thing is just about a bunch of angsty 16 yearolds who think their cool and just got pissed because they can't steal games now.

Linux != pirating from PSN. An operating system has no relevance on the ability to pirate.

Edit: unless your unfortunate enough to have a mac.

I don't know how he did it either but all I know is that PS3 has something on it that you can't use unless you mess with it which then lets you pirate games off the store. Either way total bull on both sides.

I think your confusing this guy with the people that found the algorithm for Xbox live codes. Since downloading off the PSN illegally would be bypassing through the PSN check order systems, which would not have to do with the console itself but with the PSN network. All I remember about this guy was that he modded his PS3, which doesn't give him the ability to pirate, but the ability to hack games and mod them like the PC, and also add other operating systems which sony took of the PS3 for no damn reason whatsoever. If he never had a PSN account with his modded console then that would be fine, but Sony would still track him down anyway cause they like to bitch at people modding their consoles.

That just means again, like I said you can use a PS3 just like a PC. I mean Pirated games are all over the place on PCs and this guy did nothing to directly steal from PSN which, like I said would mean bypassing their check systems. I know about that guy and the idiocy of Anonymous, but what you are saying is that they pirated from Sony, which they didn't. All he did was jailbreak his PS3 to run a different operating system, which is what Sony allowed users to do before and was a big selling point considering it would have been a hugely powerful and relatively cheap PC.

All this means is that Sony is being a douchebag when it comes to modding. Even Microsoft didn't go after the dude that mods 360s into laptops. And that Anonymous are even bigger douchebags by shutting down service for millions of gamers and taking their credit card numbers.

No, you could also pirate games from the PSN market which is why all this stuff happened. Now I don't think that he actually did pirate any games but I do know for a fact that by modding your PS3 with linux that it already has on it that you are not supposed to use even though Sony is charging you extra for it that you can pirate games and other stuff from the PSN market place. Sony the blew the whole thing out of proportion because of the fact that you could pirate games, even thought PS3 comes with linux and you are paying extra for linux when you buy a PS3. /b/ tards got wind of this and got all pissy that they can't pirate anymore and when on full /b/ tard ness even though pirating is very much illegal and by buying and using Sony's products you are in a binding contract and you almost literally, paid for your rights to be taking away so they just got their pantys in a bunch that their all dumbasses.

Shit doesn't even matter anyways. Sony is dead now so theres nothing left to do besides watch the two retards fight till one of the school teachers comes and breaks it up.

By that logic, you could pirate from the PSN with any linux machine. So then there wouldn't be any point in people from /b/ getting mad cause linux is free anyway.

Also if Sony were to die, they would have gone bankrupt when the PS3 was new and had no games for it, but they are doing better now and have a bigger following in Japan than the 360 so they aren't really dead.

Source?
I'm pretty sure 4chan and PT are exempt from the term "Source". Any hacking/computer whizzez stories that I read about from either site I take for the truth. Both sites have done some pretty insane stuff, though this proboably takes the cake.

By that logic, you could pirate from the PSN with any linux machine. So then there wouldn't be any point in people from /b/ getting mad cause linux is free anyway.

Also if Sony were to die, they would have gone bankrupt when the PS3 was new and had no games for it, but they are doing better now and have a bigger following in Japan than the 360 so they aren't really dead.

No cause linux doesn't work with PS3 unless you mess with it despite the fact that it is on your PS3 and PS3 games only work with PS3. Now the logic you stated could have work if there was a PS3 emulator for other linux machines but there isn't one that I know about.

With our more modern consoles, knowing the code to run games on different machines is a lot harder because much of the coding for both the console and the game disk data have much more specific code that is supposed to run off of much more specific hardware which is why there aren't any emularos yet that can run xbox games off computers and vise versa.

Think of it like an NES emulator that you can play on your PC. All NES games have a certain code that can only be activated by a NES console. Emulator programs are able to read that code so that you can play it on your PC instead of on a NES. That is what is going on with PS3. You can use linux more or less as a back door to the PSN store and just pirate all the games which you could then run off your PS3 because it's a PS3.

Also this can kill Sony and probably will. We are talking about MILLIONS of peoples personal info here. /b/ isn't a bunch of James bond/CSI hackers that people think they are, everything they just did was almost literal, basic stuff that and idiot who bought programing for dummies could do. Even more so was what the person info was stored as. Many companies have personal info stored as very complicated code under tons of proxies, Sonys was put under pretty much nothing and even worse was that all the info was in LITERAL text files. It might as well been said that everything was put on a MS word doc in a folder labled "Everyones stuff" that was passworded with 12345.

Sony is pretty much treating all of your personal info as nothing so why would you want to buy anything more from them when everyone can easily take all of your credit card info and anything else with little to no effort. If this doesn't kill the PS3 then I can say I will be a bit surprised cause even if they have games, the amount of security they have for your personal info is almost nothing which should be a huge concern for anyone who wants to use it's online services.

Don't patronize me, I know exactly how emulators work and why you need them. Flash drive bro. They can save the game and data to it and transfer to their PS3, its not that hard.

But that's not how it works though. If it was then I don't think any of this would be happening. Plus how would you do it on any other linux machine? Only way to get to the PSN store is by a PS3 which is how you could pirate games using the linux mod.

You can access any kind of network from most systems if you have the right data. Do you have any hard proof that a linux PS3 system can bypass the PSN?

Sony is the devil -_-

That was apparant since the invention of UMDs. The fact that they made a system incompatible with its own library also proves it.

Lol @PSP GO.

OF course not, no one is that dumb. I'm merely laughing at its existence.