• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
Milkman

Scott Pilgrim!!!

i read the first book and i was enjoying this story about a quirky little dope up until they had a HARDCORE ANIME-STYLE BATTLE SCENE at the end. what a turn off.

It's actually more of a video game style battle. The whole world of Scott Pilgrim is a video game inspired world. All the food/drinks have certain stat boost as well as most physical objects. It's not for everyone, but I love it. Also I highly suggest reading to the end hot, it does get much more interesting.

The bass and guitar tone in the movies are terrible. They needed a musician to help with that.

I thought so too at first, but I think it's on purpose. They're supposed to be a shitty garage band xD

Yeah, I got that. But no matter what type of band they are, I don't think a very low tone on an acoustic electric combo that is competing in the same area of the mix as a bass is a good idea. Also, bad production I can handle but terrible production makes me annoyed.

One thing that did bother me was in that Black Sheep has a guitar and base line, but TCAD has no guitarist. lol

lol, yeah or the fact that there is tons of sounds and 8 bit stuff from sex bob-bomb yet at no point do any of them even use a midi controller or even connect a small laptop to an amp.

I absolutely loved the movie! Wish I could read the books and play the game.

Oh, so funny! I just finished reading the entire collection today!

And just finished watching the movie, too! (like 15 min ago)

So this is the order that I was introduced to Scott Pilgrim: video game, comics, movie. Liked the video game a lot (still haven't beaten it yet), loved the comics as a whole, movie was okay- think they did a good job condensing it all into a two hour movie. Ramona looked the part, though not Michael Cera, but he did a pretty good job reinventing the character.

I'd just like to say how neat it was to see in book 2 the scenes of the Toronto Reference Library, where I was just at for TCAF only a month ago! Which actually makes me think now.. that Bryan Lee O'Malley was noticably absent from that event.

Where are you in the game? I know the thing like the back of my hand, I could help you with any part.

I'm actually replaying the game from the beginning as I now know the story (I think I actually beat the fifth ex though- at least I've uncovered all those areas). Fun game!

In regards to the comic series:

I kind of wish we got to see Kim end up with someone at the end. But I guess it's just as well as we're left to speculate.

Just beat the game this weekend! I did the mistake of maxing out all my levels before Chapter 5 so everything was pretty simple after that. Loved the homage it paid to retro games like Mega Man and River City Ransom. Also the soundtrack is fantastic! I'll have to get it!

So when I read the comics I didn't like Scott for the first two volumes. He seemed like such a jerk to all the women in his life- especially Kim, Lisa, and Knives. It was really only the third volume when I got to see his relationship with Envy did I start to sympathize with him. This is not to say I didn't like the first two books- they're great; they just require more context to fully appreciate.

Also, I can totally understand how a lot of people were turned off in the movie when the first Ex attacks Scott at the concert (Matthew Patel). It's just as random in the comic. But in the comic it's a little more understandable as it's drawn like a cartoon rather than a live action comedy that suddenly becomes a fantasy. The way I see the whole comic series is that it takes place in a video game world where all the characters are just the NPC's that hang out in the background. I see the story as sort of the lives of these characters outside of a game. This is even more obvious in the comic where there's a lot of allusions to Scott as Link from Zelda. Anyways, just my thoughts.

A lot of people don't like Scott. Actually I still don't, Scott is a huge asshole and he was written pretty poorly in my opinion.