Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

TRENCHED in Europe!

Ah-ha! A type copyright (that of a physical or electronic game of similar aesthetics) if that's the case, they are probably trying to acquire the rights to publish it under it's original name. This would include a legal proceeding to distinguish that DF's title shares no similarities to the board game other than an extended version of title!

At least we have some idea (whether accurate or not) of what is going on and as I said previously, why they have been so tight lipped. As Microsoft is the publisher, it would occur to me that this matter would indeed be out of DF's hands and their "ignorance" as to what is going on is based on good old MS telling them "Right, your game is going on this date" or "Right, we need to change the name."

Right now, the only similarity I can see with both games is the fact you fight from a trench! If that's right and things are not sorted out, it's likely that the names of the vehicles you operate will be changed.

Just read the Eurogamer article, that's just great.

I think any hope of a quick resolution to this problem is out the window unless Double Fine want to change the game name, which I doubt.

Just read the Eurogamer article, that's just great.

I think any hope of a quick resolution to this problem is out the window unless Double Fine want to change the game name, which I doubt.

Either that or we should all look forward to playing Tubes very soon

What a joke, wonder how easy it is to make this mistake. Surely copyrighted names are checked fully so this sort of thing doesn't happen. Remember one of the fine folks at Telltale games explaining on a podcasts about ip's and copyrighting content. One thing is for certain, this'll take a while so don't go expecting Trenched (or whatever it'll be called) for a good month or more.

In all due respect, bad mistake to be making.

What a joke, wonder how easy it is to make this mistake. Surely copyrighted names are checked fully so this sort of thing doesn't happen. Remember one of the fine folks at Telltale games explaining on a podcasts about ip's and copyrighting content. One thing is for certain, this'll take a while so don't go expecting Trenched (or whatever it'll be called) for a good month or more.

In all due respect, bad mistake to be making.

With all due respect I challange you to find one person here that had heard of that board game before now, including the people that googled the hell out of trenched to find a copyright problem

Now perhaps it's a matter of settlement, how much it's worth, and that Portugal outfit would try to milk what they can and DoubleFine/MGS lessen it.

Sure does explain why there been no words, but there's trade off, how much they think there ll be sales/lost sales over the fiasco as well as what they can afford for the copyright. Name change seem the best and quickest way forward. Doesn't have any likeness to the board game from what I ve read of it. So don't see why can't quickly either settles or change logo/references.

Distribution issues?! Yeah!

With all due respect I challange you to find one person here that had heard of that board game before now, including the people that googled the hell out of trenched to find a copyright problem

Copyright research isn't exactly done by "googling" something. If the Eurogamer article is correct, someone didn't do their job properly. Plain and simple.

So i was just wondering, would it have been MS's job or DF's job to look into all the copyrights and stuff, iam right in saying its a bit slack, and yes someone is probably getting fired over this!!

So do they have to just throw some money at company who made this board game??

So i was just wondering, would it have been MS's job or DF's job to look into all the copyrights and stuff, iam right in saying its a bit slack, and yes someone is probably getting fired over this!!

It would have been the publishers responsibility so blame lies with MS.

After a week of waiting I cracked and unlocked my US trial yesterday.

Copyright research isn't exactly done by "googling" something. If the Eurogamer article is correct, someone didn't do their job properly. Plain and simple.

I know that, but what im saying is its not exactly monopoly we're talking about here

I think renaming would be a big problem too because its already released in the US. How is the online system going to work if you got 2 different games?

I think renaming would be a big problem too because its already released in the US. How is the online system going to work if you got 2 different games?

How do you mean?

I'd guess only the assets visible to a player are important here?

(though I don't know if it would need to go through QA again with MS and reclassification with PEGI after any code amendments - it might be MS are hoping it will be faster to come to an agreement with the current copyright holder?)

As it turns out chaps, it's a trademark issue.

This article was taken from trueachievements.com (http://www.trueachievements.com/n4401/the-reason-europe-has-no-trenched.htm):

"Those of you in Europe may have been wondering this past Wednesday, "Where is Trenched?" The latest arcade title from Double Fine debuted to stellar reviews and continues their incredible track record of critically acclaimed, smash-hit downloadable titles. Unless of course, you live in Europe, and a pesky trademark issue is hindering your ability to download and enjoy Trenched.

That's right, it is a trademark issue keeping Trenched out of Europe. It is not, as one of the rumors stated, because of a Nazi salute present in the game. Double Fine went on record to deny that particular rumor. Eurogamer did some digging around the issue and discovered that Portugese board game designer Rui Alípio Monteiro has the title "Trench" trademarked for European markets. The trademark covers board games and also computer games, of which the XBLA Trenched falls under, creating the not so small problem of Double Fine violating a trademark.

Trench, the board game, also is set during World War 1. It does not however, involve mechs with six Gatling guns. Double Fine and Microsoft are working on a solution, which may include Trenched receiving a different name for the European market."

There you have it.

YAY, got my internet back finally!

I find it annoying that the trademark for the word "Trench" also covers the noun "Trenched".

Surely this is what they are trying to get around?

So following on from the trueachievements story i submitted,i went and read all of the Trench site it appears that this is part of the story

"Throughout 2009, Rui Alípio Monteiro has created a board game, a particularly abstract, intellectual and thematic one"

So work began creating the boardgame in 2009 then at the beggining of this year the thing was shown off in Germany

"Criações a Solo will be exhibiting at the International Toy Fair, Nuremberg, between 3rd to 8th February 2011, in the New Exhibitor Centre (H11.1), Stand NEC28.

For the first time in the world, the board Game TRENCH will be officially presented."

So they have held the Trench copyright for quite awhile and it seems that they want to launch their boardgame this year maybe

Apparently Mr. Monteiro created a board game in 2009 and registered the name TRENCH in 2009 in Europe and in Jun 2010 in US (not 2007 as said here). Since nobody said anything against it, it was approved in March 2011 for US,

http://www.trademarkia.com/trench-85066103.html

He introduced his board game to the professional traders this year at the TOY FAIR 2011 in Nuremberg with some success (I suppose it’s an honest amount of time to release something especially for a small company as they seem to be).

http://www.criacoesasolo.com/?p=530

What seems to have happened is that Microsoft/DF created a video game, decided to call it TRENCHED, announced it all over the world for the 22th of June 2011, but filled only on May 2011 to register the name, and when they finally discovered that they couldn’t use it, they decided to send it out just in US with the name “TRENCHED” (they probably think that the Portuguese won’t get them there) and are trying to find a solution for the European market.

http://www.trademarkia.com/trenched-85320298.html

To me it looks like Mr. Monteiro followed all the logical and legal procedures in the right order which is probably not the case for Microsoft/DF, and maybe that’s why they have been lying about the reason why they could not launch it in Europe on time.

Let’s see now how this will end. Will David defeat Goliath again, or will it be like Homer Simpsons VS. Bill Gates. Personally I will buy that “famous” board game ASAP.

http://videosift.com/video/Bill-Gates-Buys-Homer-Out

YAY, got my internet back finally!

I find it annoying that the trademark for the word "Trench" also covers the noun "Trenched".

Surely this is what they are trying to get around?

+1

your huge post
makes a TON of sense to me.

And I think we can finally close this thread seeing as the reason has been found and legal stuff can take ages if they don't want to settle. I can understand why DF would not want to change the name.

I don't think changing the name would be easy anyway since in the game they've got Trenches so they would have to completely re-do the voices to say new things and edit the videos to say different things, so this isn't coming out any time soon i take it and i'm not happy about it to say the least.

They could call it World war MECHS!

if no one owns that. Then its done. Redo the ingame titles and your done. Everyone calls things trenchs and such. Just the game itself is Called World war MECHS!

if no one owns that. Then its done. Redo the ingame titles and your done. Everyone calls things trenchs and such. Just the game itself is Called World war MECHS!

World War Trench Mechs :D

World War Trench Mechs :D

Hcnert

Menches perhaps? Sounds like German for Human/man or Mech and Trenches combined ^^

Menches perhaps? Sounds like German for Human/man or Mech and Trenches combined ^^

Like Menches!